Maggie, Anna’s cute little puppy was not as playful as it used to be. She was also not eating food properly. Since past two days, Maggie was just lying on the sofa. After observing all these Anna got tensed. So, immediately she started inspecting Maggie. As she was not eating anything Anna thought of checking the belly and teeth of Maggie.
To her surprise, she found few brown spots on Maggie’s teeth. She was worried and took Maggie to the vet. After checking Maggie, the vet told that Maggie is suffering from tooth decay. He advised Anna to keep her dog’s teeth clean to get rid of this problem.
Like Anna, if you have a dog, then you have to take proper care of its health, most importantly, its teeth. Let us read few facts about dog teeth cleaning and the home remedies for it. Hope this will help you to prevent tooth decay of your canine friend.
Preparing For Dog Teeth Cleaning
Do you know how many teeth does a dog have? An adult dog generally has 42 permanent teeth, which need to be cleaned every day. It is not only for fresh breath but also for maintaining good health and happiness of your pet.
Many dogs are not comfortable with the process of brushing their teeth and run away once they see a toothbrush in your hand. It is important that the dog likes the brushing process so that it will be easy for you to clean your dog’s teeth. The steps of dog teeth cleaning are very simple and make the dog comfortable with the cleaning process.
Choose the Right Toothbrush
Don’t use an adult human toothbrush to clean your dog’s teeth. Use soft children toothbrush or pet toothbrush. Finger brushes or finger rubber coats are preferable. Finger brush fits properly on your finger and it becomes easy to brush the teeth of your dog.
Choose the Right Toothpaste
Don’t use human toothpaste to clean dog’s teeth. Human toothpaste consists of a high quantity of fluoride, which is toxic for dogs. Use species-specific toothpaste with flavors like mint, peanut and chicken. Your dog should like the taste of the toothpaste to make teeth brushing easy. You can buy the toothpaste from any pet store.
Choose the Right Time
For dog teeth cleaning, you have to make a good choice of time. It is important to ensure less resistance from your dog. If your dog is tired then the process of brushing becomes easy. So try to brush your dog’s teeth before or after the nap time. It is also a good time to brush your dog’s teeth after running.
Dog Teeth Cleaning Process
Once you are ready with the right toothbrush and toothpaste, follow the process at the right time.
- The dog has its own inspection system. So let your dog inspect the toothbrush first before starting the brushing process.
- Once the dog is comfortable with the toothbrush, put some toothpaste in your dog’s mouth. This will make your dog become familiar with the taste of the toothpaste.
- Make your dog sit on your lap. This seating arrangement is comfortable for dogs. Keep the dog’s head away from your body.
- For cleaning your dog’s teeth, start gently brushing the dog’s teeth. Clean the canine tooth first, and then move to the smaller teeth. For large dogs, the standing position is more comfortable for brushing the teeth.
- Focus on cleaning the outside teeth of your dog. You don’t have to worry about the inside teeth, as dogs use their long tongue to keep it clean.
- Try to brush your dog’s teeth every day. If it is not possible daily, then at least do it twice a week to keep your dog healthy.
- Many dogs are not comfortable with the toothbrush or finger brush. In such cases, you can use a washcloth to clean your dog’s teeth. Wrap the washcloth around your finger and rub it on your dog’s teeth.
Herbal Toothpastes for Dog Teeth Cleaning
Some natural ingredients, such as honey, coconut oil, strawberry and baking soda have a quality to keep the teeth clean. Normal chewing of strawberry helps to keep your dog’s teeth clean. Don’t use baking soda for brushing as it creates irritation and dogs also don’t like its taste.
1. Coconut Oil Toothpaste for Dog Teeth Cleaning
Coconut oil has lauric acid, which provides a bleaching effect to keep the teeth clean. For human teeth cleaning, oil pulling is suggested to remove the plaque from the teeth. In the case of dogs, there is a chance that dogs will consume the coconut oil directly without finishing the pulling process. Thus, you can use homemade coconut oil toothpaste to clean your dog’s teeth.
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Peppermint oil – ½ tsp
- A dog toothbrush
- Take 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Add ½ tsp of peppermint oil to it.
- Mix both the ingredients well to create a uniform paste.
- Apply it to your dog’s teeth using a toothbrush.
- Rinse your dog’s mouth with water.
- Use this remedy daily before brushing your dog’s teeth with regular toothpaste to prevent tooth decay.
2. Manuka Honey Toothpaste for Dog Teeth Cleaning
Manuka honey has an antibacterial property, which protects the dog’s teeth from decay. Along with manuka honey, use kefir to make suitable toothpaste for your dog. Kefir is very helpful to keep your dog’s teeth healthy. It cleans the dog’s teeth and at the same time provides friendly bacteria, which support the digestive system.
- Manuka honey – 1 tbsp
- Kefir – 2 tbsp
- A small bowl
- Take 1 tbsp of manuka honey in a small bowl.
- Mix it with 2 tbsp of kefir to form a paste.
- Brush your dog’s teeth using this paste.
- Add the kefir to your dog’s food so that it will automatically clean your dog’s teeth.
3. Alternate Ways to Keep Your Dog’s Teeth Clean
It is amazing that you can keep your dog’s teeth clean without actually brushing it regularly. Yes, it is a natural process, which keeps your dog’s teeth protected from the plaque.
Dogs love to chew small toys all the time. You can use it as a teeth cleaning process. Get a rubber or nylon chewing toy for your dog. When dogs chew the toys, it wipes out the soft tartar. This will keep your dog’s teeth clean and protect it from decay.
Raw Meaty Bones
Raw meaty bones are a treat for dogs. Provide raw meaty bones to your dog in meals. The raw meat gets wrapped around the teeth and removes plaque gently. It helps to push the plaque from the teeth. Along with the raw meaty bone, use specially designed dog food to keep your dog’s teeth clean.
Many dental sprays are available at pet stores to keep the dog’s teeth clean. Pick the alcohol- free dental spray to clean the dog’s teeth. The dental sprays are effective to protect the dogs from tooth decay and it also helps dog’s bad breath.
The last option is to take a veterinarian appointment to clean your dog’s teeth. If the condition is really serious, then he may suggest you to go for an anesthesia-free dog teeth cleaning process for your dog. So, schedule a monthly appointment with the vet if you fail to brush your dog’s teeth regularly.
So next time you brush your dog’s teeth just follow the processes that are mentioned here. It will be easier for you to clean your dog’s teeth and keep it plaque free. The herbal toothpaste will provide you an added advantage as dogs love the taste of coconut and honey. Your pet will enjoy the teeth brushing process and the resistance will be less.
Follow this dog tooth cleaning process regularly to maintain the oral health of your best friend. Ensure to do it at regular time intervals to make the process quick and effortless. Do not forget to let us know whether your dog has liked it or not.