Jini had been suffering from a chest cold (bronchitis), since 1 week. She couldn’t have a proper sleep as she was coughing continuously and had a mild fever. Eva, Jini’s mother thought that it was time to start antibiotic to cure the chest cold, but she was afraid that the medicines might have side effects. So she went for some home remedies to treat Jini’s ailment.
Like Jini, you can also use some of the home remedies to treat your chest cold and I assure you that you will recover from this condition soon. But before that let us have a brief idea about the chest cold.
What is a Chest Cold?
Chest cold is generally caused by a virus infection, which starts in the form of a common cold. It is commonly termed as bronchitis. After a common cold infection, when the mucous and phlegm gets drained into the lungs, it leads to the chest cold. The delay in the common cold treatment generally causes the chest cold. The mucous drained in the chest causes inflammation and irritation in the lung area.
Symptoms of Chest Cold
The most common symptoms of chest cold are excessive wheezing, coughing, pain in the chest while coughing and sometimes a mild fever. Some people suffering from chest cold feel discomfort while breathing or swallowing the foodstuff.
How Long Does A Chest Cold Last?
Chest cold lasts up to 2 weeks, but the person who is suffering from chest cold may get a cough that lasts up to 8 weeks. Thus, treatment is essential before it becomes a chronic issue.
Home Remedies for Chest Cold
The home remedies for chest cold are easy to use and provide quick results. Let’s have a look.
Drinks to Get Relief from Chest Cold
Isn’t it interesting to treat chest cold while sipping a glass of delicious drink? Yes, it is. There are various types of drinks that will help you remove the mucous from your lungs and provide quick relief from a chest cold.
1. Lemon Juice for Chest Cold
Many people suggest avoiding the intake of citrus fruit if you are suffering from a chest cold. Here, lemon juice is exceptional. It is a natural expectorant, which removes mucus from your respiratory system. Loaded with antioxidant properties and Vitamin C, lemon juice strengthens the immune system and fights chest cold infection effectively.
- Fresh lemon – 1
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Take 1 fresh lemon, cut it into 2 equal parts.
- Squeeze out the lemon juice.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey to it and mix it well to make a paste
- Add this paste to 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir it well and drink it immediately.
- Repeat it twice a day to get rid of a chest cold.
2. Milk with Turmeric
Turmeric has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties which are helpful to treat a chest cold. It reduces lung inflammation and removes mucus from the lungs. The combination of milk and turmeric strengthen the immune system of the body to fight chest cold infection.
- Milk – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Take 1 cup of milk in a small bowl.
- Boil it or heat it in the microwave oven for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder to the hot milk.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar for good taste.
- Mix it well. Consume it when the milk is warm.
- Drink it before the bedtime to get relief from chest cold pain.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar for Chest Cold
Apple cider vinegar treats a cough naturally and clears the chest congestion. It provides relief from the inflammation. The remedy is very useful to treat the symptoms of a chest cold.
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 cup of warm water.
- Add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of honey to it.
- Stir it well to make a uniform solution.
- Drink it quickly.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day to get relief from a chest cold.
4. Radish for Chest Cold
Radish helps to loosen the mucus and also diminishes the throat disturbances and soreness. It has properties which prevent mucus formation and cures a sore throat.
- Fresh radish – 1
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Peel the radish and chop it into small pieces.
- Extract the radish juice using a juicer.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar to the radish juice.
- Mix it well.
- Drink it twice a day.
- You will get rid of a chest cold in 3-4 days using this home remedy.
5. Bay Leaves for Chest Cold
Bay leaf is commonly used to cure respiratory diseases. It is very helpful to remove the mucus and clear the lung area. This chest cold remedy also treats choric lung diseases.
- Bay leaves – 3 to 4
- Water – 1 cup
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Add 3- 4 bay leaves to the boiling water.
- Strain the tea after 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey to the tea.
- Mix it well and drink it 2-3 times a day.
- You will get quick relief from the chest cold.
- In this remedy, you can replace bay leaves with basil leaves as per the availability.
6. Homemade Rub for Chest Cold
You can prepare a chest rub at home to treat a chest cold. The chest rub relieves the chest congestion and opens up the airways so that the breathing becomes easy. It is one of the best remedies to treat chest cold.
- Almond oil – 1 tbsp
- Carrier oil – 1 tsp
- Peppermint, thyme and rosemary 1 – 1 tsp of each ingredient
- Marjoram, eucalyptus, and palmarosa – 3 to 4 drops of each ingredient
- Take 1 tbsp of almond oil and add 1 tsp of carrier oil to it.
- Add 1 tsp each of peppermint, thyme and rosemary to it.
- Add 3 – 4 drops each of marjoram, eucalyptus, and palmarosa.
- Mix it well to form a uniform solution.
- Rub this solution on your chest 3-4 times in a day.
- The overnight application is very effective.
- This remedy will provide you quick relief from a cough.
Quick Remedies for Chest Cold
The quick remedies take very less time and also are very effective to treat chest cold. You can directly consume the ingredients to get the results.
Crushed Garlic – The anti-inflammatory properties of garlic remove the microbes that are responsible for the chest cold. Take 4-5 cloves of garlic. Crush it and add 1 tsp of honey to it. Consume it twice a day to treat a chest cold.
Crushed Ginger – Intake of ginger melts the phlegm blocked in your chest as well as nasal passages. Take 1-2 small pieces of ginger and crush those. Add 1 tsp of honey to it. Consume it 2-3 times a day to get rid of the chest cold.
Bitter Gourd Root Paste – Bitter gourd root improves the resistance power of the body to fight chest cold virus. Take 2-3 pieces bitter gourd root. Grind it along with 3-4 basil leaves. Add 1 tsp of honey to the paste. Consume it before bedtime to get immediate relief from the chest cold.
Fennel Seeds – Fennel seeds have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which reduce the effect of a chest cold. Take ½ cup of fennel seed and grind it to make a fine powder. Add 2 tbsp of pepper powder to it and mix. Consume this mixture twice a day to get relief from the chest cold.
Tips to Reduce Chest Cold
These tips will help to clear the mucus and prevent chest congestion. It will also help to reduce coughing and avoid mild fever.
- Consume raw onion and parsley to cure chest cold
- Say no to dairy products, junk, and oily food. Avoid eating foods with more sugar and salt content.
- Drink a lot of water and fluids like juices, soups, and teas.
- Do yoga and exercise to drain out the mucus and open up the airways.
- Quit smoking while you are suffering from a chest cold as smoking aggravates respiratory problems and cause lung infections.
- Steam inhalation and salt water gargle also help to get rid of a chest cold.
All these home remedies for chest cold and tips help to lessen the pain and suffering that comes with the chest cold. Try the one which you think will suit your body. Share your experiences with us after the use of these chest cold remedies.