Brushing your teeth everyday occupies an important place in oral hygiene. It removes the bacteria from your teeth, thus protects you from tooth decay, cavities, bad breath and many other diseases related to the teeth.
Like brushing teeth every day, how to brush your teeth, is equally important as it will teach you to clean your teeth effectively so that you will not fall prey to those painful teeth diseases. And on the top of it, you can flaunt your dazzling smile to the whole world. Read on to know more!
Preparation to Brush Your Teeth
The preparation to brush your teeth includes the selection of the right type of toothpaste, toothbrush, dental floss and tongue cleaner, which are essential for maintaining oral hygiene.
Selection of the Right Toothbrush
Selection of the right kind of toothbrush is important as it will clean the bacteria effectively from your teeth. You should select the toothbrush based on your suitability. If you have to open your mouth large while brushing the teeth, then the toothbrush is too big for you.
Select the toothbrush which you can use to brush your teeth properly and comfortably. Prefer to buy a toothbrush with nylon bristles and don’t go for a toothbrush with natural spikes. Now-a-days electric toothbrush is also available for lazy brushers.
Selection of the Right Toothpaste
Selection of the right type of toothpaste is generally done on the basis of taste. While selecting the toothpaste, you should check the fluoride content in it. Fluoride is very helpful to remove the plaques. It strengthens the enamel of the teeth. Although, fluoride is good for teeth, it can cause some serious health issues. Thus, you should not swallow the fluoride toothpaste.
It is also not suitable for kids under the age of 3. You can choose the toothpaste based on your teeth problems. A lot of toothpastes are available in the market, which are specially formulated to treat tooth decay, tooth sensitivity etc. There are also various types of toothpaste available in the market, which you can use to whiten your teeth.
Selection of Dental Floss and Tongue Cleaner
Choosing the right type of dental floss and tongue cleaner is equally important to maintain oral health. The food particles trapped between the teeth can cause tooth decay. Thus, it is important to use dental floss to clean your teeth and remove bacteria and plaque between the gaps of the teeth. At the same time, it is also essential to clean the tongue, as a lot of bacteria get accumulated on the tongue.
The tongue constantly comes in contact with the teeth and adds saliva while chewing the food items. The unclean tongue leads to bad breath. As per your preference, choose a toothbrush with tongue cleaner or tongue scraper to keep your tongue clean.
[Also Read:How To Whiten Teeth With Baking Soda At Home]
Process to Brush Your Teeth
The teeth brushing process is very easy. You just have to be careful about how much pressure you should put on the brush and the angle of it. The toothpaste of your choice will help you to enjoy the brushing process. The steps of brushing your teeth are as follows:
- Take your toothpaste and toothbrush.
- Squeeze pea-sized toothpaste on your toothbrush.
- Start brushing your teeth by keeping the toothbrush bristles at 45-degree angle.
- Clean your teeth in a circular and vertical manner.
- Target only a few teeth at one instant. Don’t put pressure on the toothbrush.
- Work around your mouth in a cycle. You should brush your teeth at least for 3 minutes.
- Don’t forget to brush your molars.
- Work the toothbrush in an in-and-out movement, and move from the back of your mouth to the front.
- Brush both the inner and outer surface of the teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Now, use the dental floss and tongue cleaner to keep your mouth clean.
- Rinse your toothbrush and tongue cleaner properly as bacterial or fungal growth can occur on unclean toothbrush and tongue cleaner
- For good oral health, rinse your mouth with a mouthwash after brushing your teeth.
- You can also use salt water as a mouthwash. Saltwater is one of the best remedies for bad breath as it kills bad bacteria on the teeth. You can also use coconut oil to rinse off your mouth.
- Brush at least twice a day to keep your teeth clean and healthy.
Get a new toothbrush after every 3-4 months. Replace the toothbrush immediately if the bristles lose their shape or begin to expand.
How to Brush Your Teeth with Braces On
Braces are used to rearrange the teeth and place them in the correct position. It is widely used to improve the smiles. Braces placed on the teeth make it difficult to brush. If proper brushing of the teeth is not done when braces are on, then it leads to cavities and discoloring of your teeth. Thus, use the following steps to brush your teeth with braces.
- Rinse your mouth with normal water before beginning the teeth brushing process.
- Rinse your toothbrush and take out pea-sized toothpaste on it.
- While brushing, you have to use your tongue to push the toothpaste into the bristles.
- Keep brushing your teeth in a circular manner covering all the parts of your mouth.
- When braces are on, it is difficult to clean the outer side of the teeth. So, focus on the inner side of the teeth and keep it clean.
- For the outer side of the teeth, while cleaning, don’t put much pressure. Gently brush to remove the plaque and the food particles.
- Use the dry brush afterward to clean some of the food particles.
- Rinse your mouth with water, once you are done with brushing.
- Now, use a floss to clean the plaque that is stranded between the teeth.
- Move the string around the teeth on each side.
- Now, use mouthwash or salt water to rinse off your mouth.
As compared to normal teeth brushing, you have to follow a very gentle approach while cleaning your teeth with braces. Brush your teeth after every meal as bacteria grow easily on the teeth with braces. Put extra effort to clean your teeth, when you have braces on it as many people suffer from tooth decay due to this.
Now I am sure that you have a clear idea about how to brush your teeth to keep it clean and healthy. Follow the processes that are mentioned in the article to get a set of healthy and clean teeth.