Depression is one of the common problems in the US. Statistics shows that 17 million people regardless of their age, gender and financial background, get affected by depression every year. Women are most likely to suffer from depression than men. Number of people suffering from depression is gradually increase thus it is essential to know how to get rid of depression using natural methods.
One in every 33 children and 1 in every 8 teens suffers from it. Depression among young adults or in college students is also increasing at higher rates and the common cause for it is exams results, unemployment, and break-ups.
What does Depression Feel Like?
Depression is a disease or a medical state in which a person feels very sad or low, and loses all its interest and hope. The word depression, or ‘I am feeling depressed’ has become very common these days. Every person has some problem or other, but it varies from person to person and depends on how the person copes up with the problems in life. Some people face the realities of their life and fight their depression, whereas some get hit by it and suffer from depression.
Depression, if not dealt properly, can become a very serious problem from which it is difficult to come out. Due to the effects of depression, relationships get ruined, chances of drugs and alcohol addictions get increased, suicides take place, as well as many other negative things happen. Therefore, depression should not be ignored and effort should be made to treat depression it in the initial stage.
Types of Depression
‘What type of depression do I have’? If this is your question, then read to know the different types of depression that are list below.
- Major depressive disorder (commonly known as major depression).
- Dysthymic disorder or dysthymia.
- Psychotic depression.
- Postpartum depression.
- SAD (seasonal affective disorder). It is mainly known as seasonal depression.
- Bipolar disorder (known as manic-depressive disease).
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
Usually, people know when they are depressed, but some, especially children and teens do not realize that they are suffering from depression.
Depression Symptoms in Men and Women
The list of common depression symptoms in men and women include:
- A constant feeling of sadness, emptiness and hopelessness
- Losing interest in regular things
- Eating too much or no appetite
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Suicidal thoughts
- Feeling of restlessness and worthlessness
Depression Symptoms in Children
The list of common depression symptoms in children include:
- Feeling very sad, dull and rejected
- Irritation and anger
- Becoming violent and social withdrawal
- Fatigue and low levels of energy
- Changes in sleep pattern (sleep deprivation depression)
- Crying and shouting
- Thoughts of committing suicide
What Causes Depression?
The causes of the depression are based on numerous factors, which include:
- Emotional, sexual or physical abuse
- Death of loved ones
- Serious illness
- Certain medication like birth control pills (birth control depression)
- Genetics or inbreeding depression
- Losing a job or getting retired (main cause of depression in the elderly people)
- Divorced or break-ups
Some of the other factors, which can cause depression, can be due to Vitamin B deficiency. It is known as Vitamin B depression. Taking too much of stress and tension also lead to depression.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Depression in Women]
How is Depression Treated?
Treatment for depression is very important as it can lead to death if untreated, so we need to learn to cope up with depression effectively.
There are various natural ways to treat depression, such as
- Homeopathic remedies for depression
- Depression therapy
- Home remedies or herbal remedies for depression and anxiety
- Natural remedies for depression
- Holistic remedies for treating depression
How to get rid of depression can be a common question among people or whatever may be your question, in this article you will find various home remedies to treat your depression.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Depression
Nutmeg acts like a brain tonic, and it helps to stimulate your brain, reduce anxiety, and boosts your mood.
- Take 1/8th tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Mix it with 1tsp of gooseberry juice.
- Drink this mixture 2 times daily.
- It will calm your mind, and give you relief from depression.
- Nutmeg has psychoactive effects, so it should be taken in large amounts to treat depression naturally.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Teen Depression]
Cardamom consists of ‘antidepressant quality’ which helps in relieving depression. It works by detoxifying the body and renew the cells which helps in recovering mood, thus help in treating depression.
- Take some cardamom seeds, and crush them finely to make powder.
- Now, take ½ tsp of this powder, and mix it in a glass of warm water or milk.
- Drink this daily to avoid depression.
- Take few drops of cardamom oil, and put in your bath water.
- Immerse yourself in this uplifting aroma filled bath for about 30-40 minutes.
- This will lift your low mood, and will give you a rejuvenated feeling to cope with depression.
3. Green Tea
Green tea contains caffeine, and other components like L-theanine, which works wonderfully in boosting your mood and making you feel happy. Green tea has the ability to cross the blood- brain barrier as it contains ‘psychoactive properties’ which enhance dopamine and the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA that reduce anxiety and stress.
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Add 1 green tea bag, and let it immersed for 1-2 minutes.
- You can add ½ tsp of honey for better taste.
- Drink this tea daily early in the morning.
- You can have up to 4 cups of green tea in a day.
- Within a month, you will notice a great change in you, as it uplifts the low feeling and eliminates fatigue.
4. St. John’s Wort
St. John’s wort offers effective herbal treatment for depression. It helps in treating mild to moderate depression. It contains chemical constituents called hypericin and hyperforin, which acts like an antidepressant. It works by blocking the re-absorption of serotonin and its receptors.
- Take 1-2 tsp of dried St. John’s wort.
- Mix this in a cup of boiling water.
- Let it stand for 8-10 minutes, and then strain it.
- Drink this tea 2 times a day.
- Continue this process every day for a month.
- It will elevate your mood, and helps in treating severe depression.
- You can take this in the form of capsules and tonics.
- Before taking this herbal tea on a regular basis, consult your doctor as it has some side effects.
- Don’t take more than 300 mg of St. John’s wort supplement 3 times a day.
5. Light Therapy
This therapy helps in getting rid of seasonal depression, which is caused by short and dark days during the winter season in some people.
[Also Read:Home Remedies For Depression During Pregnancy]
- Sit in a bright light which imitates outdoor light.
- You can start with 15 minutes, and can increase till 2 hours a day.
- Light therapy is used to mimic exposure to sunlight.
- This therapy helps to alleviate the effects caused by depression.
Honey contains natural sugar, which helps in fighting the depression. It fights the low feelings of depression. It also relaxes the unraveled nerves. Honey has amino acids known as tryptophan, which helps in get rid of insomnia, as inability to sleep is a common sign of depression.
- Crush 7-8 almonds, and mix with 1 tsp of honey.
- Eat this mixture daily.
- Take this 2 times a day, early in the morning, and before going to sleep.
- Take 1 tsp of ginseng powder, and mix it with 1 tsp of honey.
- Boil one cup of water, and add this mixture into it.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Drink this mixture 2 times daily.
- This will help you to get rid of depression naturally.
7. Chamomile Tea
Sleep disorder is very common in depression. Chamomile tea helps to relax your mind and gives you a peaceful sleep during the night. It contains a natural chemical called ‘flavonoid’, which provides to its relaxing properties.
- Boil one cup of water.
- Add 2 tsp of chamomile tea.
- Instead, you can also use a tea bag.
- Let it stand for 5-6 minutes.
- If using tea bag, let it stand for 15 minutes.
- After that, strain it, and add some milk and honey for taste.
- Milk and honey help you to be calm.
- Drink this tea 30 minutes prior to bedtime.
- Using this tea regularly will help you in sleeping properly and deal with depression
Apple has many health benefits it has high level of nutrients like Vitamin B, potassium and phosphorus, which helps to repair your brain from the damaged nerve cells. As, the nerve cells start functioning, it results in fighting the depression symptoms.
- Take one medium size apple, and make its juice.
- Mix this juice with 1 tsp of honey and 1 cup of warm milk.
- Drink this juice 2 times a day.
- You can also eat 1-2 apples every day, which help in overcoming depression.
Saffron is rich in carotenoids and Vitamin B, which raises the levels of serotonin along with other chemicals in the brain. A study has found that saffron is as effective as Prozac, which helps in treating mild to moderate depression.
- Take 15-20 mg of saffron twice a day.
- You can also add some pinch of saffron in your cooking, fruit smoothies, and milkshakes etc.
- Taking saffron in your daily diet helps in fighting depression.
10. Fish Oil
Fish oil is highly rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are useful in normal functioning of the brain. Researches have proven that people who have a low intake of omega-3 fatty acids are at higher risk of depression. So, omega 3 fatty acids are highly recommended for people who are suffering from depression.
- Take fish oil supplements like capsules, and oils which are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- You can take up to 3 capsules in a day, or as per the prescription of your doctor.
- You can find fish oils in some fishes like sardines, salmons, and anchovies, which are packed with omega-3 fatty acids.
- Some other excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids are found in soy products and flaxseeds.
The tips given below will help you or your friend whoever is suffering from depression. Have a glimpse on it, and these tips will help you to avoid and get rid of depression.
- Follow your daily routine regularly, otherwise you will go wayward and end up in depression.
- Make sure you are having enough sleep and maintain your habit of sleeping by going to bed every day on the same time, and getting up at the same time in the morning.
- Always keep yourself occupied with something or other. An idle mind is the root of all problems.
- Socialize with people and friends, as it will help you not to be alone and feel lonely.
- Avoid hard drinks and smoking to keep depression at bay.
- Exercise regularly as it will help your mind to be calm, and will keep depression away.
- Keep some time for yourself from your busy schedule. In your free time watch movies, play games, hang out with friends etc.
- If you are suffering from depression, then try consulting an acupuncturist as, acupuncture helps you to feel good, happy and relaxed. It will helps get rid of depression and anxiety to come in your life.
- Maintain a healthy diet, and include foods rich in Vitamin B, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Never make any major decisions or changes when you are depressed. Always consult one or two people before deciding something very important to avoid
- Be positive at all the times as there is always a hope. Do not cloud your mind with negative thoughts and emotions.
You may feel sad for some time, but if it persists for a longer period of time, then slowly you will fall into the trap of depression. So be happy and positive regarding your life to keep depression at bay.
Try the home remedies to get rid of depression naturally and take the full control of your life