Cloves are one of the most commonly used spices in many Asian countries like India, Indonesia and many others. In some cultures, health benefits of cloves are well known and widely used by the ancestors.
Cloves are most popularly used as a condiment to add flavor and spice in different dishes. But the clove oil for many decades has been popularly used in medicines as it is rich in medicinal properties.
Cloves are the dried bud of the tree Syzygium Aromaticum. This plant is most often found in the tropical and subtropical regions. Today not many people are aware about the medicinal and health benefits and uses of cloves and continue to use them only as an added spice.
So let us now explore the world of health benefits that cloves are packed with and gain the maximum benefits out of this spice.
But before we move ahead with the many health benefits of cloves let us first gain some knowledge about the nutritional content of cloves. This way we can understand how the individual minerals and vitamins act together in treating the various health concerns.
Nutritional Value of Cloves
Clove are packed with multiple vitamins and minerals and few of them are mentioned below:
- Dietary fibers
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
All of these nutrients and vitamins combined together act as a shield and protect the body from the various health concerns.
So now that we know what the little spice clove is packed with let us now discover some amazing beauty and health benefits of cloves.
15 Best Health Benefits of Cloves
Cloves are loaded with rich medicinal properties and this makes it one of the ideals and most chosen spices of all to treat several health concerns.
1.Cloves for Oral Care Benefits
Gum diseases like periodontitis and gingivitis are a common oral care issue. A toothache is another issue that most of us suffer from and the first thing we do to treat it is to opt for the painkillers.
According to several medical studies conducted on the cloves it has been proven that cloves can easily control the growth of the oral pathogens which are the root cause of the several oral diseases.
The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties present in cloves act as a natural painkiller without any side effects to treat the tooth aches or the bleeding of the gums.
2.Cloves for Reducing the Bad Breath
As mentioned above cloves are excellent for the oral care.
Bad breath is a common and yet one of the most unhygienic and annoying oral health concerns.
Cloves for many years have been used as spice but what’s even more surprising is that the strong aroma released from cloves acts as a natural mouth freshener.
The bad odor from the mouth is completely absorbed by the strong and aromatic oils from the cloves and this result in a fresh and clean breath.
Things we need
- Clove – 1 Piece
- This is one ingredient but highly effective remedy and all you need to do is to place a clove under your teeth.
- Don’t chew it just let it be there in some corner of your mouth under the teeth.
- Leave it for as long as you can feel the strong aroma and flavor of clove.
- This remedy can be repeated when the flavor of the clove reduces or is completely gone.
3.Cloves for Controlling the Symptoms of Diabetes
The one major symptom that the diabetics suffer from the most is the lack of production of the insulin. Several medical and food researchers conducted on clove have proven the fact that clove acts as insulin by controlling the blood sugar levels in the body.
Many diabetes health specialists suggest that a daily intake of clove in the everyday diet either as an added spice or as a condiment helps in maintaining the blood sugar levels in diabetics.
4.Cloves for Improving Digestion
Cloves are a rich natural source of some amazing health essential medicinal oils. The presence of these oils aids in reducing the inflammation and also kills the bacteria causing stomach infection.
Regular consumption of cloves in the daily diet helps in digesting food faster and also enables the expulsion of bad intestinal gas.
Apart from this including cloves in the daily diet also prevents the stomach from infections like diarrhoea, vomiting, nausea or stomach aches.
5.Cloves for Lowering Cholesterol Levels
There was a recent medical study conducted by the American Heart Association on the health beneficial properties present in cloves. In the report published by the association, it was clearly revealed that contains certain properties that aids in reducing the cholesterol levels in the body to the maximum levels.
The association further added that a daily consumption of clove in any form be it in the powder form or as a spice in the gravies can help in preventing the body from the harmful effects of high cholesterol such as heart attacks or eve strokes.
6.Cloves for Reducing & Preventing from Acidity
The one common health concern faced by people who love indulging in spicy foods is the acidity.
Although there are many over the counter drugs available claiming to reduce acidity but there is nothing better than a natural ingredient that is even more effective in treating acidity and that is clove.
Intake of cloves in regular meals helps in coating the lining of the stomach with properties that further help in reducing the acidity within a few minutes.
Everyday consumption of cloves in the meals prevents the body from acidity in spite of consuming high spice foods.
7.Cloves for Reducing Joint Pain or Joints Inflammation
This is yet another most important health benefits of cloves.
With the growing age the one common and the most annoying health concern is the joints pain. For this most of the people rely on the pain killers to get an immediate relief from the pain. Not anymore!
Clove is a great natural source of anti-inflammatory properties. With the help of this clove can easily and very effectively treat in reducing the joint inflammation within a few minutes of application.
Regular usage of clove is also a great way to treat the various symptoms of arthritis and at the same time relax the inflamed muscles.
8.How to Use Cloves to Reduce the Joint Inflammation
Apart from using the spice clove another best way to make the most of this medicinal spice is by opting for clove oil.
Clove oil is also packed with anti-inflammatory and anaesthetic properties that aids in reducing the pain as well as decreases the inflammation. Regular usage of clove oil also improves the blood circulation around the joints.
Things we need
- Clove Oil – 5-10 Drops
- Carrier Oil (Almond Oil) – 6-8 Drops
- Firstly warm the clove oil over low heat and later take it off the heat.
- Now dilute this warm clove oil by adding any carrier oil like almond oil.
- Mix this well.
- Now apply this oil solution all over the joints or any place where you feel the pain or inflammation.
- Massage it gently for about 4-5 mins.
- Later leave the oil on for another 15-20 mins.
- Later clean the area with warm water.
- This process to reduce the joints pain can be repeated 2-3 times in a day or until you don’t feel the inflammation anymore.
9.Cloves for Morning Sickness in Pregnant Women
Morning sickness is one of the most annoying health concerns in pregnant women.
Nausea and vomiting is a typical morning sickness that the pregnant women experience in the first few months of the pregnancy.
Cloves are the best natural ingredient that is known to effectively treat this annoying health concern of pregnant women.
Cloves are an excellent natural source of antibacterial and analgesic properties. So consumption of clove serves as the best natural cure to treat the morning sickness.
10.Cloves, Tamarind and Palm Sugar Remedy
The oils released from the cloves are packed with flavor and a strong aroma and this aids in curing the morning sickness naturally.
Tamarind and palm sugar are much-needed a combination of taste with pungent flavor along with a little bit of sweetness make this remedy the perfect one to feel better in the mornings for the pregnant women.
Things we need
- Cloves – 10 Pieces
- Palm Sugar – 1 tsp
- Tamarind Paste – 1 tsp
- Water – ½ Cup
- Firstly add the cloves, tamarind paste, and the palm sugar into a blending jar along with some water.
- Now blend this for 2-3 mins or until it forms a smooth paste like consistency.
- Consume half a teaspoon of this paste 2-3 times in a day to reduce or completely treat the morning sickness.
- The strong aroma of the cloves and the pungency from the tamarind is the best natural way to treat nausea and vomiting in the mornings.
11.Cloves for Protecting the Liver
Cloves are loaded with antioxidants that are especially helpful in protecting the body from the harmful effects of the free radicals mainly the liver.
Cloves increase the antioxidants count in the body and this is of best help in preventing the liver from various liver disorders and worst of all being the liver transplantation.
Daily consumption of liver in the everyday food is highly recommended by many health specialists for a smooth functioning of the liver.
12.Cloves for Reducing the Stress Levels
With the changing lifestyle routines we are leading a very hectic life. Working over the time spending lesser time with the family has become a norm these days.
A lifestyle like this can lead to high levels of stress and most of us reach out to the over the counter drugs available to de-stress ourselves. One of the biggest disadvantages of these over the medicines for stress is that they are quite addictive and this can be very harmful for you.
So the ideal way to beat the stress is naturally and for this all you need is clove.
Yes, this may sound crazy as how can a spice from the kitchen help you in reducing the stress. But reducing stress is one of the best health benefits of cloves.
Cloves contain a compound called as Eugenol and this is a natural muscle relaxant. This helps in reducing the stress as well as calms your mind after a hectic day at work.
Things we need
- Clove Oil – 4-5 Drops
- Warm Bath Water (As Required)
- Add a few drops of the clove oil into your warm bath water and soak in the beautifully strong aroma of the cloves for at least 15-20 mins.
- Once you are done with your bath you feel more relaxed and calm.
- This remedy can be followed every day as a before bedtime routine for reducing your stress levels naturally.
13.Cloves for Blemish-Free Skin
Apart from the many health benefits of cloves, they are also quite helpful in treating various skin concerns.
Clove is packed with antioxidants and antibacterial properties and this makes them the best natural ingredient to have a healthy and blemish free complexion.
Cloves, Lemon & Honey Face Mask Remedy
This remedy works wonders in treating the blemishes as well as the pigmentation marks.
Cloves contain antioxidants, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and this helps in healing the skin from deep within.
Lemon juice contains vitamin C and this aids in preventing the skin from acne and also acts as a natural skin bleaching agent by further reducing the blemishes and pigmentation marks.
Honey contains skin soothing and cleansing properties and this helps in calming the skin and leaves a healthy natural glow on the skin.
Things we need
- Cloves – 2-3
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Mortar and Pestle
- Add the cloves, lemon juice, and the honey into the mortar and pestle.
- Crush this mixture until it forms into a smooth paste like consistency.
- Now apply this mask all over your face and leave it on for about 15-20 mins.
- Later wash your face with cold water and gently pat the skin dry.
- This remedy to reduce the blemishes using cloves can be repeated twice in a week for 2-3 weeks or until you don’t see any pigmentation or blemishes on your skin.
14.Cloves for the Prevention & Cure from Acne
Cloves are a great natural source of antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Clove oil particularly is highly helpful in treating and preventing the skin from acne. According to several scientific studies conducted it has been noticed that most of the skin care products contain clove oil in them. They also revealed that clove oil is the best natural source of skin purifying properties.
15. Clove Oil & Carrier Oil (Grape Seed Oil) Remedy
Acne is a result of excessive impurity build up on the skin or even hormonal imbalance can lead to acne.
Clove oil helps in killing the acne causing bacteria from deep within.
Things we need
- Clove Oil – 1 drop
- Carrier Oil of your choice (Grape Seed Oil) – 10 drops
- Cotton Balls
- Mixing Bowl
- Take a mixing bowl and into this add in the clove oil and the grapeseed oil and mix this well.
- Now dip a cotton ball into this oil solution and apply it one the acne spot.
- Always make sure to use a fresh cotton ball for each acne if you have more than one acne spot.
- This way you won’t be spreading the infection all over your face.
- Leave the oil application on your face until it dries completely.
- Later wash your face with lukewarm water and gently pat the skin dry.
- This process can be repeated every day for 2-3 days or until the acne has been completely diminished.
Now that you are well versed with the several amazing health benefits of cloves let us now gain some knowledge about how to select and store this wonderful spice.
Selection & Storage of Cloves
Cloves are not difficult to find as they are easily available in stores all year round. They are available in bud form, powdered form and also in the form of oil.
But there are a few steps that one needs to follow while buying the clove buds:
- It is best recommended to buy cloves in the whole bud form and then powder them in the blender as and when required.
- The clove buds should be compact along with the stem.
- Always make sure to smell the cloves before buying them and if the aroma is quite strong then you have the freshest lot of cloves.
- Another quick way of finding if the clove is fresh is with the help of the water test just like we do to check the eggs.
- Just add the cloves into the water and if they sink that means they are not fresh and if they manage to stay afloat then they are good to buy.
You can use the following step to store clove properly-
- Always make sure to store the cloves in airtight glass or plastic containers.
- Make sure to store them in a cool and dry place.
- If at all you have freshly ground cloves then it is best to keep them in the refrigerator as they stay fresh for a longer period of time.
All of the above-mentioned home remedies using cloves have no side effects what so ever. Pregnant women, however, need to make sure that they consult their gynaecologist about the consumption of the cloves.
If at all any of the health concerns doesn’t resolve even after trying out the home remedies then it is best suggested to consult a health specialist.
After discovering the amazing health benefits of cloves we suggest you try them too and let us know how they have been of help to you. We would love to have your feedback on the same.