Diaper rash is a common problem among infants and children below 2 years of age. Diaper rash occurs to the skin that is covered by the diaper. It is a type of skin rash that occurs due to the friction of wet diaper, chemicals in the diaper and yeast infection. It can also occur because of the bacteria that are present in the baby’s urine and stool.
If your baby is suffering from diaper rash then here we brought for you simple remedies using coconut oil for diaper rash, but before that let’s have a look at the properties that make coconut oil suitable to treat diaper rashes.
Why Coconut Oil is Good to Treat Diaper Rashes
The coconut oil is good for diaper rash treatment due to following properties:
- It has a soothing property, which reduces the skin irritation and inflammation.
- It has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which fight against the bacteria that cause skin infection and keeps the baby’s skin safe.
- It has a healing property, which promotes the healing process of wounds, caused due to diaper rash.
- It consists of lauric and caprylic acids, which kills the yeast and treats the yeast diaper rash quickly.
- It doesn’t have any side effects and it is suitable for the sensitive skin of the babies.
- It penetrates into the skin and doesn’t give a sticky feeling like other oils.
- It provides nourishment to the baby’s skin and keeps it hydrated.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Diaper Rash?
The use of coconut oil as a moisturizer is well known. So, you might know the skin benefits of the coconut oil application. In the case of diaper rash treatment, you can use coconut oil along with different other ingredients, such as tea tree oil, lavender oil, shea butter and many more. Let’s have a look at the various treatment methods that use coconut oil to treat diaper rashes.
Method 1: Direct Application of Coconut Oil
The direct application of coconut oil is the easiest way to treat diaper rash. The coconut oil quickly gets absorbed by the baby’s skin and cures the baby diaper rashes instantly.
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
- Warm and clean cloth- 1
- Clean the affected area with a warm and clean cloth.
- Take 2 tbsp of coconut oil and warm it for 10 seconds in the microwave.
- Take the warm coconut oil in your palm and apply it on the affected area using your fingertips.
- Gently massage the coconut oil and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Now you can put a new diaper on your baby’s bottom.
- Use the coconut oil for diaper rash treatment twice or thrice a day to get quick relief.
Method 2: Coconut and Lavender Oil Combination
The lavender oil in this remedy reduces the burning sensation of the skin, whereas the coconut oil promotes quick healing of diaper rashes. This mixed oil will provide a cooling effect to the rash affected skin of your baby.
- Coconut oil- ¼ cup
- Warm water- 2 cups
- Lavender oil – 1 tbsp
- Take a ¼ cup of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Add 2 cups of warm water to it.
- The water will melt the coconut oil. Now, leave it for 10 minutes and let it cool down.
- Add 1 tbsp of lavender oil to it and mix it well to make a uniform solution.
- Allow the mixture to cool down until it gets converted to a solid state.
- You can keep this solution in the refrigerator for some time.
- Apply the creamy solution on your baby’s bottom to give instant relief to your baby from diaper rashes.
- Apply this solution twice a day to reduce the skin irritation caused due to diaper rash.
[Also Read:Olive Oil for Diaper Rash]
Method 3: Diaper Cream Using Coconut Oil
The creams that are available in the market to treat the diaper rash contains many chemicals, which are harmful to your baby’s skin. It makes the baby’s skin dry and more prone to the infection. The homemade diaper rash cream consists of all the natural ingredients and quickly treats the diaper rash.
- Coconut oil- ½ cup
- Calendula flowers- 1 tbsp
- Chamomile flowers- 1 tbsp
- Shea butter- ¼ cup
- Zinc oxide powder- 1 tsp
- Take a ½ cup of coconut oil and heat it in the microwave oven for 10 seconds to warm it.
- Add 1 tbsp each of calendula flowers and chamomile flowers to it.
- Heat the mixture for 20 seconds in the microwave oven till the coconut oil turns yellow in color.
- Strain the flowers from the coconut oil and add a ¼ cup of shea butter as well as 1 tsp of zinc oxide powder to the mixture.
- Blend the mixture well in the blender.
- Apply the cream on the rash affected area and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Now, cover your baby’s bottom with a new diaper.
- Repeat the application twice a day to get rid of diaper rash.
Method 4: Coconut and Tea Tree Oil
This remedy is very useful to treat the yeast diaper rash. The tea tree oil fights and kills the yeast causing bacteria whereas coconut oil creates a protective layer on the skin.
- Coconut oil- ¼ cup
- Tea tree oil- 3 to 4 drops
- Take a ¼ cup of coconut oil and heat it in the microwave oven for 10 seconds to warm it.
- Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Mix it well and apply this mixed oil to the rash affected area of your baby’s bottom.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes on the baby’s skin.
- Apply this mixed oil once every day to reduce diaper rash.
- It is also effective to treat yeast diaper rash, which is more painful than normal diaper rash.
Method – 5: Coconut Oil and Beeswax Cream
The shea butter in this remedy consists of Vitamins A and E, which nourishes the baby’s skin and keeps it hydrated. The beeswax is generally used to bind all the other ingredients and make a thick paste. The coconut oil reduces the skin irritation caused due to diaper rash.
- Coconut oil- ¼ cup
- Shea butter- ½ cup
- Beeswax- 2 tbsp
- Glycerin- 2 tbsp
- Zinc oxide powder- 3/4 tbsp (optional)
- A Saucepan
- Take a ¼ cup of coconut oil and a ½ cup of shea butter in a saucepan and mix.
- Heat the mixture on medium flame and add 2 tbsp of beeswax to it.
- Let the mixture melt completely and take it out from the flame.
- At the end, add 2 tbsp of glycerin to the warm mixture.
- You can also add ¾ tbsp of zinc oxide powder for better results.
- Blend the mixture in the blender to get a uniform consistency.
- Apply the creamy mixture to your baby’s bottom and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process thrice a day to reduce the skin irritation that is caused due to diaper rash.
[Also Read:Top 17 Home Remedies For Diaper Rashes]
Method – 6: Coconut Oil Spray
The coconut oil spray is very effective way to keep your baby’s skin moist and free from infection.
- Coconut oil – 2 oz
- Grape seed extract- 2 to 3 drops
- Water- 1 cup
- Spray bottle- 1
- Take 2 oz of coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Add 2-3 drops of grape seed extract to it along with 1 cup of water.
- Mix it well and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the diaper rash affected area of your baby.
- Leave it for 10 minutes to dry properly.
- Now, you make your baby wear a new diaper.
- Use this spray while changing the diaper to provide relief and prevent diaper rash
[Also Read:Natural Home Remedies for Yeast Infection]
Tips to Prevent Diaper Rash
You can follow the below given tips to get better results while treating diaper rash using coconut oil. These tips will help you to prevent the diaper rash issues and keep your baby safe from infection.
- The breastfeeding mothers should consume coconut oil in their regular diet. This will provide extra strength to your baby to fight the diaper rash issue through your milk.
- Do not use any chemical powder or cream on your baby’s skin when your baby is suffering from diaper rash.
- Use warm water for the bath to keep the skin of baby free from bacteria that cause skin infection.
- Keep your baby’s bottom open for some time to ensure proper air exposure to the skin.
- Change the diaper regularly. Do not use the diaper for a longer period of time as it can lead to serious skin infection.
So, now you know how to use coconut oil for diaper rash. Just try any of the given home remedies to treat the diaper rash. The homemade diaper cream and other remedies will provide a quick relief from diaper rash. Use coconut oil to keep your baby’s skin protected from infection.