Diaper rash is a skin condition among the babies and children below 2 years of age. It is very annoying both for the baby as well as for the mother. It generally happens due to the wet diaper that is not changed in time; due the chemicals present in the diaper; because of the bacteria in the baby’s stool and urine; and yeast infection. This issue really worries the mother as it affects the buttocks, thighs, and genitals of the baby, which is very painful and uncomfortable.
Do not worry, if your baby is going through this painful condition. There are many wonderful ingredients that you can use to cure your baby’s diaper rashes without any side effects. One such ingredient is cornstarch, which can be used in many ways to treat diaper rash.
Does Cornstarch Help Diaper Rash?
The friction and moisture of the diaper lead to the diaper rash issue. Cornstarch works on this cause of diaper rash to cure it.
The cornstarch absorbs the excessive moisture from the baby’s skin and keeps it dry. It promotes the healing process of cracked skin and keeps it cool. The use of cornstarch lowers down the friction between baby’s bottom and diaper thus prevents the rash to occur.
How to Use Cornstarch for Diaper Rash?
The application of cornstarch to treat diaper rash is very easy and works as good as a talcum powder. The treatment is free from side effects and provides instant relief to your baby. Let us understand the different methods in which you can use cornstarch for diaper rash.
Method 1: Direct Application of Pure Cornstarch for Diaper Rash
You can use pure cornstarch directly on your baby’s skin as a talcum powder. The diaper rash will vanish with the regular use of pure cornstarch.
- Pure cornstarch – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Clean cloth- 1
- Warm water- 1cup
- Take 1 clean cloth and soak it in 1 cup of warm water.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the cloth and gently clean the bottom of your baby with the warm wet cloth.
- Allow 10 minutes to make your baby’s skin dry. Also, soothe the skin with cool air for some time.
- Now, slowly sprinkle 2-3 tbsp of pure cornstarch on the affected area of your baby and keep it undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- You can now make your baby wear a new diaper.
- Use pure cornstarch for diaper rashes thrice a day to give relief to your baby.
Method 2: Cornstarch and Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
In this method, the cornstarch reduces the redness and skin irritation, whereas the Vaseline petroleum jelly acts as a barrier between the skin of your baby, and feces and urine, thus heals the diaper rash quickly.
- Cornstarch – 2tbsp
- Vaseline petroleum jelly – 1 tbsp
- Warm wet cloth- 1
- Take 1 tbsp of Vaseline petroleum jelly in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat it in the microwave oven for 10-15 seconds to melt it.
- Add 2 tbsp of cornstarch to it.
- Mix it well to make a thick diaper rash cream.
- Apply this cream on the affected area.
- Allow it to remain there for 10 minutes, and then wipe out with a warm wet cloth.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for diaper rash treatment.
[Also Read:Olive Oil for Diaper Rash]
Method 3: Cornstarch Balm for Diaper Rash
The homemade diaper rash balm is very useful to treat the diaper rash and keep your baby’s skin protected from infection. The shea butter and beeswax in the balm keeps the necessary moisture of the skin as well as provide a soothing effect to it. Lavender oil here acts as a healing agent and repairs the cracked skin. Loaded with antifungal properties, the coconut and tea tree oil kill the bacteria responsible for diaper rash. The cornstarch makes a protective layer between the diaper and the baby’s skin, thus reduces the friction as well as the occurrence of diaper rash.
- Cornstarch – 2 tbsp
- Shea butter- ¼ cup
- Beeswax- 2 tbsp
- Tea tree oil- 4-5 drops
- Lavender oil- 4-5 drops
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
- Take 2 tbsp of coconut oil, a ¼ cup of shea butter and 2 tbsp of beeswax in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat it in the microwave oven for 1 minute to melt all the ingredients.
- Add 4-5 drops each of lavender oil and tea tree oil as well as 2 tbsp of cornstarch to it.
- Mix all the ingredients well to form a diaper rash balm.
- Apply this balm on the diaper rash affected areas and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Make your baby wear a new diaper.
- Follow this remedy of using cornstarch twice a day to treat diaper rash.
Method 4: Cornstarch and Coconut oil
In this remedy the coconut oil and Vitamin E nourish, the baby’s skin whereas the cornstarch checks the wetness of the baby’s bottom.
- Coconut oil- ¾ cup
- Cornstarch – ¾ cup
- Vitamin E capsule – 1
- Take ¾ cup of coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat it for 30 seconds to make it warm.
- Add ¾ cup of cornstarch to it.
- Now, open 1 Vitamin E capsule and smooth out the liquid from the capsule to the mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well to make a thick paste.
- Apply the thick paste on the affected area and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the skin with warm water.
- Follow this remedy using cornstarch for diaper rash twice a day to get instant relief.
[Also Read:Top 17 Home Remedies For Diaper Rashes]
Method 5: Cornstarch, Polysporin, and Olive Oil Cream
Follow this home remedy when your baby is suffering from severe diaper rash, which you can not cure by using simple home remedies. The polysporin has a petroleum jelly base and keeps the skin smooth. The olive oil helps to heal the cracked skin and reduces the inflammation, whereas cornstarch keeps the skin dry.
- Cornstarch – ¼ cup
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Polysporin- 1 tbsp
- Take ¼ cup of cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of polysporin to it.
- Mix it well to create a thick and lump-free cream.
- Apply the cream on your baby’s bottom and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the area with warm water and pat it dry. Now, you can put a new diaper on baby.
- Repeat this remedy every time you change your baby’s diaper to prevent diaper rash from occurring again.
This is all about how to treat diaper rash at home in no time using cornstarch. The remedies are cost-effective as cornstarch is not expensive as compared to the cosmetic creams. The most important fact is that you can treat this issue without exposing your baby’s skin to the harmful chemicals of creams that are available in the market. Just go for cornstarch for diaper rashes and share your experiences in the comments section below.