Are you suffering from excessive weight gain? Tried various diets and strenuous workout routines and yet unsatisfied with your weight loss results? Then for you, we have brought a simple home remedy, which will help you to lose weight by drinking water. This is probably the simplest of the methods to get rid of the excessive weight and get a fit and healthy body.
I know, you must be thinking now ─ can I lose weight by drinking water or how much water should I drink to lose weight or how to lose weight by drinking water, etc.
Well, we have answers for all your questions regarding drinking water to lose weight. Just read on to know more about the effectiveness of this water to help you to shed those extra kilos.
How Does Drinking Water Help Lose Weight?
Weight gain is one of the most common problems faced by many individuals across the globe. For weight loss, most people often follow various diets or opt for sweating it out in the gym. People also opt for walking, jogging, exercises or choose sports for losing weight or maintaining a fit body. In all the practises of losing weight, the most neglected and convenient remedy is to drink water to lose weight. There are numerous benefits of consuming water besides weight loss, which often goes unnoticed. Consuming adequate water is the easiest and probably the most underrated way of losing weight.
The fact is that as our body is made up of 70% water, so drinking water is essential for maintaining a healthy body. Several studies have been conducted on many adults and children from every age group, which proved the efficiency of drinking water to lose weight. The theories even state that weight watchers on diet need to keep a check on their daily water requirements or else they can end up gaining more weight because of fluid retention.
Can Water Make You Lose Weight?
Water has a multitude of benefits, which help one to lose weight effectively. Some of the elements of water which can help one to lose weight are listed below:
Water is a Natural Appetite Suppressant
Water is known to be a natural hunger suppressant. It even helps in avoiding unnecessary or excessive food consumption and this eventually aids in weight loss. However, water is only a temporary hunger-suppressing solution as water doesn’t stay in the stomach for longer period of time. Drinking water in regular intervals eliminates the urge to eat in between the meals, thus drinking water help to lose weight in this way.
Water Helps in Boosting the Metabolism
Yes, drinking water is a great way to boost the metabolism up to 40 %, which is excellent for losing weight easily. Our body in a dehydrated state makes it difficult for the kidneys to filter the toxins out of our body properly and so the load passes to the liver. Water keeps the body well hydrated and this enables the liver to metabolise the body fat for effective weight loss. So keep your body well hydrated so that the organs can function better, which will result in faster weight loss.
Water Eliminates the Causes of Fluid Retention
Normally when we don’t drink enough water to make our body hydrated, then it retains the fluids. This causes water weight gain and bloating, which makes it further difficult to maintain an ideal body weight as the weight constantly fluctuates. In this stage when one consumes diuretics like caffeinated drinks instead of water, it makes the problem worse by dehydrating the body further. To combat dehydration and to lose water weight fast, drink water and keep yourself well hydrated for achieving the targeted weight loss.
[Also Read:Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss]
Water Curbs Hunger Cravings
Stress or sitting idle can lead to bingeing, which simply means adding extra calories and a major hindrance in your weight loss program. So skip bingeing and grab a glass of water. Now, the next obvious question after this quick tip is — will drinking water help me lose weight? To that the answer is, definitely yes. Drinking water in regular intervals is even one of the well-kept secrets of top models and actresses worldwide to stay in shape. This simple step will help in keeping off many calories from your diet at the end of the day. It is even advisable to drink a glass of water before meals and in between the meals, which makes one feel full faster and eliminates the need to eat more food.
Water is a Natural Energy Booster
Water, unlike the other energy foods doesn’t make you artificially alert by adding loads of caffeine in your body. It naturally makes the brain alert and makes you focus better and boosts the energy levels. This in a way will help you follow your workout regime with better energy levels and lesser injuries. A well-hydrated person is even prone to less fatigue than a dehydrated individual during the longer workout sessions. Moreover, the symptoms of dehydration also include reduced energy levels and hunger like feeling, which divert one from focusing on the workout session. Maintaining a strict weight loss diet even requires energy, so constantly focus on drinking water and losing weight for getting into perfect shape.
Water Means Zero Calories
Water gives the befitting answer to the question -does drinking water help lose weight? Yes, water is a zero-calorie drink and “water” has no substitute for it. No amount of sugar-laden drinks, coffees, teas or aerated drinks can satisfy the thirst as water does. So, gulp down a cold glass of water for hydrating and refreshing your body. The other advantage of drinking water is that you are lessening the chances of indulging in sweetened drinks and staying away from extra calories. There are many low- calorie drinks available in the market, but they have their negative points as well.
Water Aides in Digestion
Water lubricates the food and helps in the breakdown of the food, so that the body can completely absorb the nutrients and minerals from the food. Water is even necessary for digesting and dissolving the soluble fibre for healthy bowel, so consequently water helps lose weight. In fact, low intake of water can slow down the digestion process and result in bloating, which causes weight fluctuation or weight gain.
Besides weight loss, drinking water is essential for maintaining a healthy heart and normal functioning of our organs. Staying well hydrated even serves as a complete beauty aid as it gives a healthy glow to the skin, clears acne, delays the signs of aging, moisturizes the dry skin and gives a healthy shine to the hair as well. Hence, drink water and avoid all health problems to stay healthy and ignore questioning yourself will drinking water help me lose weight.
Water, the Natural Detoxifier
Detoxification of the body is one of the vital elements for maintaining a healthy body and weight. One of the best nature derived detoxifier is water. Adequate intake of water enables the body to flush out the waste and toxins from the body through sweat, urine and stools easily. Water even helps in flushing out the toxins from the kidneys and intestinal tract, helps in normal functioning of the liver. It even is the best cure for different health concerns like constipation, bloating, bladder infections, risks of colon cancer and many others. Hence, the cheapest alternative and the most easily accessible home remedy is to drink water to lose weight and lead a healthy life.
How Much Water Should You Drink to Lose Weight?
As far as the daily water requirements of an individual is concerned, there is no hard and fast rules applicable for the exact amount of water to be consumed. Water has no calories and even has no side effects, so you can have as much as you can or are comfortable with. But when it is a question of minimum water requirements, one needs to intake at least 8 glasses of water per day for weight loss and for staying well hydrated.
Some studies have defined the water requirement of men and women for making things simpler. Along with the said water requirements for men and women, the environmental conditions, their daily activities also need to be considered while drinking water. The age, weight of an individual also plays an important role while determining the quantity of water one must consume. As sometimes people in hotter climates need to intake more water for staying hydrated when compared to people living in colder regions. People exerting physical activities like sports, strenuous workouts or engaging in laborious work are required to intake more water than a person living a sedentary lifestyle.
The thumb rule for water intake for men and women according to the scientific studies is:
- 128 ounces or 3.7 litres of water for men
- 88 ounces or 2.6 litres for water for women
When studies like water consumption level in men and women are discussed one might question about does drinking water help lose weight in men and women differently? Well, as per the studies it has been proven that men and women from different age groups have reported to have lost weight successfully over a span of time. As in men drinking adequate water helped them to burn fat and proved to be an added fuel for increasing the metabolic rate, for women drinking water helped in increasing the breakdown of carbohydrates and this resulted in a high metabolic rate.
How to Lose Weight by Drinking Water?
Daily Water Plan
One doesn’t put in much of thinking process when it comes to drinking water for losing weight. But the end results of this plan will provide a substantial reason for everyone to stick to this plan for losing weight easily. Follow this plan and get the answer to your question – can water help me lose weight. Drinking water provides results within a short period of time. This plan advocates drinking water at right intervals, so that one doesn’t feel overtly full by excess water consumption all day long.
- Firstly, drink ½ litre of water as soon as you get up.
- Then drink ½ litre of water again within 1 hour after getting up and before your breakfast.
- Later add ½ litre water to 1 glass of cold water and drink it 30 minutes before the meals as its acts as an appetite suppressor.
- One can even drink 1 glass of water after every cup of coffee or tea.
- Lastly drink 1 glass to ½ litres of water, about 1 and ½ to 2 hours before going to the bed.
- One can follow this “drink water to lose weight” plan for about 3 weeks for noticing significant results in the weight loss program.
This plan will maintain adequate water levels in the body throughout the day without causing dehydration.
Copper Energized Water
One of the most beneficial and ancient home remedies according to the Ayurveda includes copper energized water, which has a multitude of advantages for the overall health. Water when stored in copper vessels, gets energized and drinking this energised water the next day has the ability to balance the body’s dosha for positive weight loss results.
Some of the benefits of drinking water from copper vessel regularly are that it aids in weight loss, helps in increasing the performance of the digestive system and relieves constipation, which is one of the key reasons of bloating. Water consumption also helps in maintaining the cardiovascular health and regulates the functions of the thyroid glands. These are even the few primary reasons for excessive weight gain.
How to Lose Weight with Water Stored in Copper Vessel?
- Firstly take a pure copper vessel or copper water jug and rinse the vessel or jug well.
- Pour water measuring about 500 ml to 1 litre to the vessel and cover it.
- Store the water in the copper vessel overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Drink this copper energized water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
- One can start with drinking 1 glass of copper-energized water and gradually increasing the water’s quantity.
- This process can be repeated every morning for three weeks or one can even maintain this practice life-long for reaping its numerous health benefits.
Flavor- infused Water
Guzzling down a glass of plain water can get boring for some people and for the same reason they might even skip drinking more water. Here is a trick, which will help the weight watchers to drink water to lose weight. This simple trick is inexpensive, calorie-free and delicious to drink too and the trick is flavour-infused water.
Few of the flavour-infused water recipes are:
Cucumber gives the appropriate answer to your question, how to drink water to lose weight. It is included in the super food’s category and is rich in nutrients, magnesium, vitamin B and potassium. Just combine these potent and inexpensive ingredients like cucumber and water and drink this refreshing drink for weight loss benefits.
Things we need
- Cucumber- 1
- Water- 1 to 1 ½ litre
- Mint leaves- 5 to 10
- Lemon wedges – 4
- Clean and peel the cucumber and cut the cucumber into thin slices.
- Add the sliced cucumber, mint leaves, lemon wedges into the water.
- Let the ingredients remain in the water for at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator for the flavors to release in the water.
- Enjoy this cold and refreshing flavour-infused water throughout the day.
- This drink even serves up as an excellent detox drink for speeding the weight loss program.
- This process can be repeated for three week as this water helps lose weight.
Apple, Strawberry and Cinnamon Water
Apple and strawberries are known to possess excellent antioxidant properties, Vitamin C and other vital nutrients essential for the body. Cinnamon is beneficial for speeding the fat burning process in the body for effective weight loss. Combining these potent ingredients along with water will make a delicious drink for weight watchers. In fact, the natural sweetness from apple and strawberries will even satisfy the sweet cravings of people who are not supposed to take sweets and sugar in their weight loss program.
Things we need
- Apple- 1
- Strawberries- 5 to 6
- Cinnamon stick- 1
- Water- 2 litres
- Deseed the apple and slice both the apple and strawberries.
- Add the sliced apple and strawberries into the water along with a cinnamon stick.
- Let the ingredients be in the water overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drink this delicious fruit-flavored water with ice throughout the day sans any calories.
- One can repeat this process for three weeks or till the desired weight loss is achieved.
Hot Herbal Teas
Drinking hot or warm water increases the body’s temperature and helps in burning extra calories. Hot water is even known to improve the digestion process to a great extent. Although after a certain period of time one can get bored of drinking plain hot water for weight loss benefits. For this, the easiest alternative for drinking more hot water is to add natural flavors. One of the most recommended flavored hot water drinks worldwide for healthy weight loss is herbal teas like green tea, jasmine tea and several others.
It is proven in many studies that adding green tea leaves into hot water and drinking the same throughout the day helps in speeding the weight loss process. Green tea is known to contain high amounts of antioxidants properties along with flavonoids. These qualities help in increasing the metabolism while replenishing the body with adequate quantities of water and at the same time it also answers your question – will drinking water help me lose weight.
Things we need
- Dried green tea leaves- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Add green tea leaves to the boiling water and cover the vessel and turn off the heat.
- Let the tea brew in the water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of honey to green tea for enhancing its taste and drink this delicious tea warm.
- One can repeat this process three times a day for healthy weight loss and overall health benefits.
Lemon Water to Lose Weight
Lemon is rich in Vitamin C, which is extremely beneficial for escalating the weight loss process. Lemons even possess qualities for improving the colon health and flushing out toxins from the body. Many fitness trainers all over the globe swear by this one simple line which is to drink lemon water to lose weight.
Things we need
- Lemon juice- 1tsp
- Warm water- 1 glass
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Take one glass of warm water.
- Add 1 tsp each of lemon juice and honey for taste.
- Drink this lemon water on an empty stomach in the morning.
- One can repeat this process until the desired weight loss results are achieved.
[Also Read:Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss]
Sparking Mineral Water
Plain regular water to which carbon dioxide is dissolved is called sparkling soda water. Consuming this fizzy water curbs the urge to drink sweetened aerated drinks thus helps in faster weight loss.
The carbonated water is even known to boost the energy levels so that one can work out for a longer time in the gym. The most important advantage of indulging in sparkling mineral water before meals is that it makes one full faster and it is completely calorie free. So, simply switch to sparkling mineral water when bored of routine plain water for staying hydrated and sticking to your weight loss goals.
Consume Water-Based Foods
One of the other effective alternative remedy than gulping down litres of water is to eat water. There are many fruits and vegetables which are loaded with high water content. These fruits and vegetables list includes apples, watermelons, orange, raspberries, cucumber, cabbage, spinach etc.
By eating water-based foods, one can stick to the weight loss plan with full focus and dedication. As these foods either can be eaten in the form of soups or juices. These foods provide water content and natural fibre to the body for keeping oneself full for a longer time, thus maintaining your weight loss program.
Drinking salt water to lose weight is one of the most recommended natural remedy included in liquid diets for healthy weight loss. Drinking salt water encourages the cleansing process of the body by releasing the toxins and wastes stored in our body.
Things we need
- Lukewarm water- 1 litre
- Salt- 1 tbsp
- Take 1 litre of lukewarm water.
- Add salt to the water and stir till the salt gets dissolved well in the water.
- Drink this water on an empty stomach at once or can be consumed within few minutes of interval. This will help in easing the bowel movements and clears the symptoms of constipation for speeding the weight loss process.
- This process can be repeated for three weeks for encouraging faster weight loss.
[Must Read:Remedies For Excess Skin After Weight Loss]
Quick Tips to Drink Water to Lose Weight
- One can kick start his/her day with hydration. For this, you simply have to drink a glass of ice cold water, which will help in increasing the body’s temperature for normalizing the ingested water’s temperature. This will result in spiking your metabolic rate right from the start of the day.
- Gap your meals by sipping some water, this will help in keeping you full, so that you can consume less food, which means less calories.
- Refrain from indulging in alcohol, soft drinks, or other sweetened drinks in between the meals and switch to healthier alternatives, like warm jasmine tea or green tea for boosting the digestion.
- Sweet craving triggers reach out for water instead and simply skip extra calories.
- While going for shopping or to the grocery store, carry water as sometimes the calorie-filled snacks and sugary drinks can be too difficult to resist.
- Maintain a diet planner and note the time when the last time you grabbed a glass of water. While travelling, one can even maintain small notes about water consumptions on the mobile phone to make the process easy.
- Refill the water bottle every time you finish drinking one as this will help in avoiding excuses.
- Don’t make drinking water a substitute for colas or other beverages. Start drinking more water and gradually increase the quantity of drinking water. Make drinking more water a habit to stay hydrated for losing weight faster.
Drinking water to lose weight is one of the simplest and affordable solutions. Now I am sure that you have got the answers for your question – does water help you lose weight and the facts related to it.
The right way to deal with the overweight issue is first trying out a few home remedies. If the weight issue prolongs for a longer period of time in spite of trying various exercises and diet plans, then one must consult a specialist. Any kind of medicine or OTC drugs for weight loss must be taken only under the prescription of a specialist. Although trying a few home remedies and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are ideal for treating weight gain issues.
So drink water to lose weight, which is also safe and effective for maintaining an ideal weight.