Dragon fruit belongs to the cactus family and they are also known as sweet pitayas. The fruit is most commonly available in different parts of Asia like Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and Taiwan. It tastes awesome and thus growing popularity, it is now also available in South America as well. Apart from the delicious taste, there are many health benefits of dragon fruit.
The dragon fruit has a leafy skin that is deep pink in color and the pulp of the fruit is white in color.
Dragon fruit comes in three varieties with white flesh, yellow flesh, and red flesh. The flesh is filled with black colored seeds that are mildly sweet in taste. However, the most consumed variety from the three is the red flesh dragon fruit because it is the most delicious of all the three.
Before we explore the multiple health benefits of dragon fruit let us first gain some knowledge about the nutritional content of the fruit. The fruit is packed with several nutrients and vitamins that help in treating the various health concerns.
Nutritional Value of Dragon Fruit
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
- Niacin (Vitamin B3)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids
Now that we are well versed with the high nutritional content of the Dragon Fruit let us now discover the different health concerns that the fruit is capable of treating in and how to use this fruit to gain maximum health benefits.
15 Amazing Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is a great natural source of some amazing health beneficial minerals and vitamins. The rich nutritional value present in dragon fruit makes it the best fruit to treat and prevent several health and beauty concerns.
Let us discover some unknown and some popular health concerns that dragon fruit is highly capable of treating and preventing from.
1. Dragon Fruit for Lowering Cholesterol
This is one of the main health benefits of dragon fruit as cholesterol is considered as a major health concern that can lead to several other serious health issues.
There is a difference between good fats and bad fats. The good fat in the body helps in treating a certain healthy issue whereas the presence of bad fat in the body can lead to cholesterol.
Dragon fruit is packed with omega 3 as well as omega 6 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fats. These are considered as good fats for the body as they aid in lowering the cholesterol.
So the next you are diagnosed with cholesterol simply grab a dragon fruit and relish the health benefits of it. One can easily consume one dragon fruit in raw form on a daily basis to build up the good fats in the body and eventually lower down the cholesterol naturally.
2. Dragon Fruit for the Prevention of Cancer
Dragon Fruit is a delicious natural source of vitamin C and carotene. The carotene present in the fruit is packed with anti-carcinogenic properties that help in reducing the risk of cancer as well as tumors.
The lycopene present in the dragon fruit is the main compound that forms the red color on the dragon fruit and this is also known to reduce of prostate cancer.
Several medical studies have proven that a regular intake of the dragon fruit has resulted in lowering the risk of cancer cells in the body.
So the most natural way of preventing cancer or tumors is by following a diet that includes an adequate of dragon fruit consumption on an everyday basis.
3. Dragon Fruit for the Prevention & Cure of Diabetes
Dragon fruit is loaded with fiber and this makes it the ideal fruit to reduce the symptoms of diabetes in diabetic patients.
Intake of the required amount of fiber on a daily basis aids in stabilizing the sugar levels in diabetics and it also helps in inhibiting the sugar spikes in the patients.
Consumption of dragon fruit also has a great effect on the oxidative stress in the diabetic patients. Many diabetic health specialists recommend a regular intake of dragon fruit to the diabetic patients to reduce the various signs of diabetes.
4. Dragon Fruit for Boosting Immunity
The body’s defense system is known as the immune system. This helps in protecting the body from infections and diseases. According to several studies, a high intake of vitamin C in the diet helps in boosting the immune system of the body.
Dragon fruit is considered as one of the richest natural sources of vitamin C that can aid in boosting the immune system.
Regular intake of dragon fruit is also known to increase the activity of the antioxidants in our body. The better the consumption of dragon fruit the better and healthier the body acts against the disease-causing bacteria.
Boosting immunity is also known as one of the best health benefits of dragon fruit.
5. Dragon Fruit for Cardiovascular Health Benefits
Reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the body is probably the easiest and the quickest way to improve the heart health.
This is exactly what a regular consumption of dragon fruit does in the body. Dragon fruit is also a great source of monosaturated fats as this aid in improving the overall heart health.
According to several food types of research conducted on dragon fruit has been proved that a high intake of dragon fruit can reduce the risk of developing heart diseases like strokes and heart attacks as well as improves the overall heart health.
Dragon fruit reduces the bad cholesterol levels in the body and increases the good cholesterol levels in the body and this eventually results in balancing the blood sugar levels as well as improving the cardiovascular health on a major level.
6. Dragon Fruit for Healthy Bones and Teeth
Dragon fruit is a rich natural source of phosphorus and calcium. These qualities in foods help in strengthening the bones and teeth.
According to several medical studies conducted it has been proven that regular consumption of the dragon fruit also reduces the risk and symptoms of osteoporosis.
Dragon fruit also helps in increasing the bone mass in teeth resulting in stronger teeth naturally.
7. Dragon Fruit for Digestion
Stomach ailments like constipation can be quite problematic to deal with. This is when the health specialists suggest increasing the fiber intake.
Although there are many health supplements available in the market that claims to be rich in fiber but the best way to heal the stomach ailments is with the help of natural foods.
Digestion is one common health concern and the ideal way to improve the digestion is by opting for dragon fruit.
Dragon fruit is an excellent natural source of fiber that helps in improving the bowel movements as well as decreases the risk of constipation or any other bowel disorder.
8. Dragon Fruit for Increasing the Metabolic Rate of the Body
Protein plays a crucial role in boosting the metabolic rate of our body and this eventually speeds up the weight loss procedure.
When it comes to looking for foods rich in protein most of us often look up to poultry or dairy food items.
But the fact is that there are many fruits and vegetables that are rich in their protein content and one such fruit is the dragon fruit.
Dragon fruit contains the required amount of protein that can easily boost up your metabolic rate and help you losing weight faster.
So the next time you are looking for foods rich in protein makes sure to add dragon fruit to your list as it also helps in repairing cells and tissues post workout.
9. Dragon Fruit Smoothie
This dragon fruit smoothie contains multiple health benefits and is packed with vitamins and minerals.
The banana in this smoothie adds the much-needed protein content.
Dragon fruit adds protein, dietary fiber and vitamin C content in this smoothie.
Ginger is packed with antibacterial properties and anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation as well as reduces the risk of infections.
Lemon juice is a natural source of vitamin C that further aids in maintaining the overall health.
Things we need
- Dragon Fruit Pulp – 1 Cup
- Banana – 1 Chopped
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Coconut Water – 1 Cup
- Serving Glass
- Take a blending jar and into this add in the dragon fruit pulp, chopped banana, coconut water, lemon juice and ginger paste.
- Blend this well for about 2-3 mins or until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Now transfer this smoothie into a serving glass and serve chilled.
- This smoothie is an excellent source of dietary fibers, protein, and vitamin C.
- This smoothie can either be consumed as a breakfast alternative or as a late evening healthy snack alternative.
10. Dragon Fruit for Anti-Fungal & Anti-Bacterial Benefits
Be it skin infections or the toxin build up in the body foods rich in antifungal properties act as a natural cure.
Dragon fruit contains a high amount of anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. This helps in increasing the white blood cell count in the body and eventually protects the body from toxins and infections.
Dragon fruit also stimulates the cell regeneration process acting as a preventive measure as well as a natural cure for wounds or infections present within the body.
This definitely can be considered as one of the most unusual and best health benefits of dragon fruit.
Regular consumption of about a cup of dragon fruit pulp is recommended to protect the body against fungal infections and the toxin build up in the body.
11. Dragon Fruit for Chemically Treated Hair
Dragon fruit contains a good amount of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, and omega 6 fatty acids.
The presence of the required amount of good fatty acids and protein helps in improving the hair health as well as strengthens the hair follicles from root to tips.
Hair coloring or chemical treatments for hair can damage the hair and make them brittle. They can also cause excessive hair fall and thinning of the hair.
Regular consumption or regular application of dragon fruit makes hair grow stronger, thicker and shinier naturally. It also reduces the hair fall by improving the collagen production in the body which is very important for a healthy hair growth.
Things we need
- Dragon Fruit Pulp – 1 Cup
- Shower Cap
- Firstly add the dragon fruit pulp into a blending jar.
- Blend it for about 2-3 mins or until it forms into juice like consistency.
- Now apply this dragon fruit juice all over the scalp to the ends of your hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for about 15-20 mins.
- Later wash your hair with regular shampoo and towel dry your hair.
- This process to nourish your chemically treated hair can be repeated twice in a week.
- This remedy helps in reducing hair fall, stimulates healthy hair growth and adds natural shine to your hair.
12. Dragon Fruit for Sunburned Skin
Apart from the many health benefits of dragon fruit it is also extensively used to treat several skin concerns.
Sunburn is one of the most common and yet complicated skin concern.
Although there are many skin care products readily available in the market that claim to help you with the sunburns but the results are quite unsatisfactory.
So the other best and natural alternative is to try some dragon fruit to heal and treat the sunburn.
Yes as crazy as this may sound by dragon fruit can actually help in healing in sunburn as it is packed with anti-inflammatory properties and vitamin C.
13. Dragon Fruit & Cucumber Juice Remedy
Cucumber in this remedy is yet another natural ingredient that helps in reducing the inflammation on the skin as well as soothes the bruised skin.
Honey in this remedy is known for its skin calming properties and can be quite helpful in treating the sunburned skin.
Things we need
- Dragon Fruit Juice – 2tbsp
- Cucumber Juice – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Mixing Bowl
- Take a mixing bowl and into this add in the dragon fruit juice, cucumber juice, and the honey.
- Mix this well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Now apply this on the sunburn affected area and leave it on for about 10-15 mins.
- Later wash your face with cold water and pat the skin dry.
- This remedy can be repeated twice in a day for 4-5 days or until the sunburn sensation on the skin is completely gone.
14. Dragon Fruit for the Prevention & Cure from Acne
Dragon fruit contains a high amount of vitamin C, anti fungal and anti bacterial properties.
These properties can turn out to be a miracle and natural treatment for the prevention and cure of acne.
Things we need
- Dragon Fruit Pulp – 2-3 tbsp
- Cotton Balls – 3-4
- Firstly wash your face with a mild face wash.
- Later pat your skin dry.
- Now dip a cotton ball into the dragon fruit pulp and apply it over the acne.
- If you have a lot of can spots on your face then please make sure to use a separate cotton ball over each acne.
- Leave this dragon fruit mask on the affected area for 15-20 mins.
- Later wash your face with cold water and gently pat your skin dry.
- This process can be repeated 2-3 times in a day for 2-3 days or until there are no signs of breakouts or acne on your skin.
- Regular usage of this remedy also helps in improving the overall texture of your skin leaving it naturally glowing.
15. Dragon Fruit for Eye Sight
Are you wondering about how can you get a better eyesight just by eating some fruit?
Yes, this is very much possible!
Dragon fruit contains vitamin A in the form of carotene. Carotene is one of an essential nutrients that helps in improving the vision as well as treats age-related vision concerns like night blindness.
Several medical types of research have proven that the primary cause of night blindness is the deficiency of vitamin A and this is exactly why and how dragon fruit is the best natural choice for a better eye sight.
Selection & Storage of Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is a tropical and exotic fruit. It is not easily available all around the globe but there are a few things that one needs to keep in mind in places where dragon fruits are very available.
- The color on the outside of the dragon fruit needs to uniform without any discoloration.
- Always make sure to buy dragon fruits without any brown spots on them.
- Dragon fruit must always be stored in the refrigerator.
- They can be stored for 2-3 weeks and need to be consumed before the brown spots start to appear on them.
So now that you are well versed with the several health benefits of dragon fruit make sure to include this in your everyday diet to gain maximum benefits out of it.
All of the above-mentioned uses of dragon fruit are completely natural and hence have no side effects.
But if at all any health concern prolongs over a period of time even after the usage of dragon fruit then it is best recommended to consult a health specialist for the same.