Have you ever been through sleepless nights by trying to calm your kiddo down? Or tried to find a chemist in the odd hours, but failed to find one? Diaper rashes could actually be worse than you could ever imagine. This issue could worsen if you are new to the concept of motherhood.
For the first timers, it would even take some time to realize the cause of discomfort of your baby. There are instances where the infant has been howling for hours and the parents are left bewildered, wondering what exactly has happened to the baby. Actually, your baby is suffering from diaper rashes, which can lead to some serious issues if not recognized and treated on time.
Are you a first-time mother who is worried about the pain your little one is going through because of diaper rashes? Are you spending sleepless nights because of that? Do not worry. We have brought some of the effective home remedies for diaper rashes. Read on to know more about it.
Home Remedies for Diaper Rashes
There are many reasons for diaper rashes. It can happen due to a soiled diaper or due to the presence of chemicals in the diaper. Also, it can happen due to restricted air circulation to the covered part.
The baby feels discomfort in sitting, standing, walking and all other daily activities if he or she has diaper rashes. Unfortunately, as babies cannot talk and express what they are undergoing, it’s your responsibility as a mother to know the symptoms, and the simple home remedies to deal with it.
Let’s have a look at some of the home remedies that you can use to treat mild, as well as severe diaper rashes.
1. Coconut Oil for Diaper Rash
This is the most commonly available ingredient that you can use as a natural remedy for diaper rash. There are different types of methods in which you can use coconut oil as per your convenience.
Coconut oil has useful antimicrobial and antifungal properties that act effectively when you apply it on the rash affected skin of your baby. Follow the steps to use coconut oil to treat diaper rashes.
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Simply apply the coconut oil to the affected areas. Since this oil also has moisturizing properties, it could also prevent the soft skin of your baby from drying. For better result, you could apply the oil 3 to 4 times in a day.
- In case you have noticed that there is yeast diaper rash on your baby’s skin, then adding a little bit of coconut oil in the bathing water of the baby will help. It will cure any bacterial infection as well as moisturize your baby’s skin.
- Know more remedies using coconut oil for diaper rash
2. Cornstarch for Diaper Rash
Cornstarch easily absorbs the moisture and this property of it makes it apt for diaper rash treatment. It heals the rashes quickly by keeping the baby skin dry and also by avoiding diaper friction. Here is the method that uses cornstarch to keep diaper rashes miles away from your baby.
- Cornstarch- 2 tbsp
- Use lukewarm water to rinse and clean the affected area of your baby’s skin.
- Pat dry the washed area with a clean, dry and soft cloth.
- Allow it to dry naturally by leaving it for few minutes would be more helpful.
- Now, sprinkle a little bit of cornstarch on the dried area of your baby.
- Do this just before placing a fresh diaper.
- If you follow this method every time you change the diapers, it will help in healing diaper rashes in a better and faster way.
- Repeat this method until the rashes disappear completely.
- Know More Remedies using cornstarch for diaper rash
3. Olive Oil for Diaper Rash
Just like other oils, use of olive oil on the skin works effectively to keep the diaper rashes at bay. Here are the methods which you can follow to apply olive oil on your baby’s skin.
- Olive oil- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 tsp
- You can begin by mixing equal amount of olive oil and water. One tsp full of olive oil would do when you try it for the first time.
- Now start whisking it well to blend water and olive oil properly so that it would help in the easy spreading of the blend.
- Once you are satisfied with the mixing, you can apply this to the affected skin of your baby. Allow it to settle and dry for a while.
- Adding a little amount of lavender oil or Vitamin E to the blend would also help in the better healing of rashes.
- Read More Remedies for diaper rash using olive oil
4. Baking Soda for Diaper Rash
The chemical term used for baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, is an excellent ingredient which helps in alkalizing the urine. These white crystalline compounds consist of amazing properties that also helps in the washing of any body cavities and is widely used in various health treatments and problems related to beauty.
As it alkalizes the urine it ensures that the yeast bacteria growth is controlled and hence curing the rashes. Here is a method to use baking soda for diaper rash treatments.
- Baking soda- 2 tbsp
- Warm water- 1 bath tub
- The first thing to do would be to fill your baby’s bathtub with lukewarm water. Ensure to check the temperature of the water as hot water will cause more irritation to the already affected skin.
- Take 2 tbsp of baking soda and mix it in the water. Use your hand to mix it properly.
- Now place your baby in this bathtub, and make him sit there for about 10 minutes each day. You can repeat these diaper rash remedies every day until you feel that your baby is completely healed. click here if you would like to know more remedies for diaper rash using baking soda.
This method is loved by most of the infants as they love and enjoy playing in the water. So you can cure your baby by this simple procedure.
Even after continuing this method for a couple of days if you feel that the rashes are not healing then it’s time that you check the mouth of your baby. If you notice small white spots inside the mouth, then it could be the symptoms of thrush, which is a kind of baby yeast infection.
This infection could be a possible reason for rashes in babies. And to cure this mix 1 tbsp of baking soda in 1 cup of water. Now use a cotton swab or your finger to apply this mixture on the inner part of the mouth of your baby. Do it regularly until the thrush is cured completely.
5. Lanolin for Diaper Rash
New mommies when they hear the name lanolin they always relate it to the early breastfeeding days. What you also should know is that lanolin is one of the best ingredients that can help heal the rashes in babies to a great extent.
With great soothing properties, lanolin heals up rashes fast. Here are few methods that you can to give some relief to your baby.
- Lanolin- 2 tsp
- To use lanolin on your baby’s skin, firstly ensure that your hands are clean. Then take a small amount of lanolin in your fingertips
- Now gently rub this in between your fingers. Repeat doing this a few times so that the friction causes heat in your body. This heat will help in making the lanolin easier to apply.
Once you start feeling that the cream is taking the form of more elasticity then you can apply it on the rash affected areas of your baby. You can apply it as per the requirement of your baby’s skin.
Note: Apply lanolin during night time as the baby has minimal movement at that time and hence it will stay for a longer period of time on your baby’s skin.
6. Maalox for Diaper Rash
Maalox works amazingly for diaper rashes. Maalox helps in soothing the burning sensation, caused due to severe rashes. It also reduces the acidity level of stool and urine to a great extent. Here are few methods that you could follow at your convenience to use the Maalox.
- Maalox- 1 tsp
- Milk of magnesia- 1tsp
- Cotton towel- 1
- Warm water- 1 mug
This is very useful for babies who have highly sensitive skin and are allergic even to diaper rash cream.
- The ingredients required are Maalox and milk of magnesia.
- Ensure that the affected area of the baby is cleaned well with lukewarm water and soft clean cotton towel.
- Now take both the ingredients in equal amounts and make a mixture. Now apply it on the rashes. Give some standing time for it to get absorbed into your baby’s skin before putting any diapers on. Note that the magnesia milk has antacid properties that help in reducing the inflammation and redness on your baby’s buttocks.
- Maalox works amazingly for diaper rashes as it offers a protective barrier and helps in soothing and calming the baby.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Diaper Rash Bleeding]
This remedy is effective to balance the skin pH. It protects the skin from stale urine and reduces the burning sensation.
- White vinegar – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Add 1 tsp of white vinegar to a glass of water.
- Mix it well.
- Wipe your baby’s bottom with this solution while changing the diaper.
- Do this every day whenever you are changing your baby diaper.
Oatmeal consists of high proteins and provides the soothing effect on your baby’s skin. It acts as a natural skin protective layer and prevents infection. The chemical compound saponin which is present in it will help you to remove the unnecessary oils and dirt from the skin pore.
- Dried oatmeal – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 tub full
- Take 1 tbsp of dried oatmeal.
- Add it to a tub full of water.
- Allow your baby to soak in that water for 15 minutes.
- Then bath your baby in the water.
- Do this twice in a day to cure diaper rash.
9. Shea Butter
Shea butter consists of antifungal, anti-inflammatory and yeast-killing properties which help your baby to get rid of diaper rash. It also has some vegetable fats which improves blood circulation, cell regeneration so that the diaper rash can be cured fast.
- Baby soap – 1
- Shea butter – 1 tbsp
- First, wash your baby’s bottom with a baby soap and lukewarm water.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
- Now take 1 tbsp of shea butter into your hands and rub it until it melts.
- Now press your hands on the affected area of your baby.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and then put a fresh diaper.
- Do this every time every day before changing the diaper.
10. Plantain Oil
Plantation oil is highly effective to cure the rashes and protect your baby’s skin from infection. It gets absorb into the skin quickly and heals the diaper rash fast.
- Plantain oil – 1 tsp
- Baby soap – 1
- Take 1 tsp of plantain oil into your hands.
- Rub it on the affected area of your baby.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and then put on a fresh diaper.
- Repeat this every day until the rashes are gone.
11. French Green Clay
French green clay is generally used as a facial mask, but it works well to heal the diaper rash. It is very effective to treat yeast infection which leads to diaper rash.
It prevents the spread of diaper rash and heals the wound quickly.
- French green clay – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 tbsp of French green clay in your hand.
- Just sprinkle it on the affected area.
- Leave if for 2 minutes and then put a new diaper.
- Repeat this every time while changing your baby diaper.
12. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract can fight against the germs and provides relief from the diaper rash. It acts as a skin cleanser. It is generally used in the diluted form to treat diaper rash.
- Grapefruit seed extract – 5 drops
- Water – 4 oz
- Small bowl – 1
- Take 5 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a small bowl.
- Add 4 oz of water to it.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Wash your baby’s bottom with this solution and then put a fresh diaper.
- Use this solution every time before putting a fresh diaper.
13. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is the best treatment to heal for many skin problems. It cures the skin issues like rashes, irritation, itchiness, and inflammation.
It provides a cooling effect on the skin and promotes the quick healing of diaper rash wounds.
- Aloe vera leaf – 1
- Small bowl – 1
- Knife – 1
- Take an aloe vera leaf and cut it using a knife.
- Now take out the gel from it and put it in a small bowl.
- Take a little amount of the gel and apply on the affected area of your baby.
- Massage for 5 minutes.
- Now put on a fresh diaper.
- Apply this remedy twice a day to get rid of diaper rash.
[Also Read:How to Treat Baby Acne]
14. Egg Whites
Egg whites are one of the powerful remedies for diaper rash. The proteins in egg whites help to prevent skin irritation and provides a smooth skin.
- Egg whites – 1
- Small bowl – 1
- Take 1 egg white in a small bowl.
- Take a little amount into your hands and rub it.
- Apply it on the affected area of your baby.
- Now put on a new diaper.
- Use this remedy twice a day to reduce diaper rash in no time.
15. Chamomile Tea Bags
Chamomile tea bags can help you baby to get rid of diaper rash. Do you know how it cures? Give your baby a bath using these tea bags. Know the process here.
- Chamomile tea bags – 5 or 6
- Water – 1 tub full
- Take a tub full of water.
- Add 5 to 6 chamomile tea bags to the water.
- Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Now allow your baby to soak in it for 5 minutes.
- Wash the affected area with that water.
- Repeat this every day till the rashes are gone.
16. Peppermint, Sandalwood, and Lavender Oil
This combination of oil is very useful to treat the diaper rash. The oil will nourish the baby skin and provides relief from inflammation.
- Peppermint oil – 2 drops
- Sandalwood oil – 2 drops
- Lavender oil – 2 drops
- Sweet almond oil – 1 tbsp
- Small bowl – 1
- Take 1 tbsp of almond oil in a small bowl.
- Now add 2 drops each of peppermint, sandalwood, and lavender oil to it.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply this oil to the affected area of your baby with your fingertips.
- Massage gently for 10 minutes.
- Now put on a fresh diaper.
- Do this every day once to get rid of your baby diaper rash.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Baby Eczema]
17. Bag Balm for Diaper Rashes
The invention of bag balm goes way long back in the year of 1899. The original interest in the invention of this product was actual to soothe the wounded hands of the farmers due to the day to day hard work.
Since they had to farm the whole day along with milking the cows, it was tough for the sours and bruises to heal. The bag balm was the only invention that gave good relief to the farmers.
Eventually, it was also learned that this bag balm for diaper rash was also miraculously effective. Here are few methods you can adopt to offer quick relief to your younger ones.
- First and foremost method is to allow your baby to stay in a bath tub for at least 10 to 15 minutes or as much as he likes to stay in it.
- You will be surprised to see that the amount of difference this simple step is going to make on the rashes of any severity.
- In fact, it is suggested to repeat this step every time you will be changing your baby’s diaper. Not that you would have to use shampoo or give him a bath all the times. Just allowing them to stay in the water and play around will be more effective. It will sooth the rashes by bringing a smile on your baby’s face.
- Now you can pat dry your baby while snuggling, cuddling and bonding with him or her.
- Applying the bag balm for diaper rashes would be the next thing to do.
- You can apply this balm every time you give bath or change diapers of your baby. By doing this you will see how fast and quickly the rashes will be cured.
- Once the balm is absorbed you can use baking soda or baby powder on the bottom and this will help the balm from getting totally dried or even from getting wiped off.
Note: Following up the above mentioned method daily will help the rashes get healed and disappear at the earliest.
Preventive Measures to Use Bag Balm
- Using bag balm on the babies while they do not have any rashes would also be a great thing to do. Because by applying this balm you would be creating a barrier between the skin and the stool or urine of the baby that would prevent any kind of rashes.
- If you notice any color or texture variations on your baby’s buttock then immediately apply this balm. You would be surprised to notice that the skin has become normal. Bag balm contains 8-hydroxquinoline sulfate 0.3% and lanolin.
The sulfate works as an antiseptic and helps in quick healing. There have been speculations long back that the ingredients in this balm also include 0.005% mercury that are from the ethylated sterols. During the olden days, mercury was also known for its antiseptic nature. But the bag balms that are produced in the present time are free of mercury.
Benefits of Using Bag Balm on Babies
Many mummies are not aware of the other benefits of bag balm other than using it for diaper rashes. Let’s have a look at the other uses of bag balm. Here are few other uses of bag balm that your kids could get.
Is your toddler learning to ride a bicycle? Are you worried about the blister or rashes that have appeared in the inner thighs as your excited toddler cycles all day? Then bag balm is something you should be using as it will ensure that such rashes have disappeared and your toddler is ready to cycle the next day.
- If you notice that Vaseline or any other moisturizing lotions are useful in clearing the dry skin on your baby during harsh winters then you should be trying out the bag balm.
- You can also apply bag balm on your baby’s chapped lips and leaving it overnight to heal it completely. This is because of the lanolin present in it.
General Tips for Normal and Severe Diaper Rashes
With so many home remedies available on the internet, it could get confusing for young mothers to decide what works best for diaper rashes. Well, you can simplify this complex task by knowing about different types of rashes. There are different types and stages of rashes that need different types of home-based treatments. Depending on the type and stage of these rashes, you can make use of the remedy to fetch you the best results.
Tips to Cure Normal Rashes
- Keep your hand clean before and after changing the diaper. It will keep the diaper rash miles away
- Change the diapers as soon as your baby poops or urinates.
- Use only plain water when you clean the buttock area of your baby. Use a mild cleanser if it is badly needed.
Tips to Cure Severe Rashes
- Avoid rubbing the area roughly; otherwise, it will aggravate the condition. If you want to clean the poop from the skin of the baby, then use a bottle that can squirt wa In this way, the poop can be washed out easily without rubbing the area.
- Allow maximum air circulation to the affected area to cure severe rashes at the earliest. This is a very important tip to be followed and could be the best answer to cure diaper rash.
- You can make this task easier by keeping your baby diaper-free right after he clears his bowls.
Follow the above mentioned basic hygiene process using oil or baking soda directly on the rashes, which will act as a great barrier from urine and poop contacting the skin of your baby. So this will reduce the rashes to a greater extent in a matter of 2 or 3 days time.
Diaper Rashes with Yeast Infection
If the rashes are still there or worsening even after trying out all the above-mentioned methods, then your baby is suffering from rashes with a yeast infection. In such cases, you can use baking soda bath or coconut oil on the affected area as both of these have antibiotic properties. This will help in killing the bacteria that causes a yeast infection.
After following all these natural remedies for diaper rashes, if your baby is still suffering from diaper rashes and if the condition is worsening, then consult a child specialist to get immediate treatment.
So, first recognize the type of rash your baby is suffering from, then it will become easy for you to figure out the best home remedy to treat diaper rash of your baby.