Sweating is good for the body as it keeps the body cool, but excessive sweating is irksome. Hyperhidrosis is the medical term for excessive sweating, which happens even when the temperature is not high and when even you’re not doing any physical activity or exercise. People who suffer from hyperhidrosis, their sweat literally drip off from their body.
This usually affects armpits, palms, soles of the feet and sometimes face. It disrupts the normal daily activities and also sometimes causes embarrassment. This can occur once or twice in a week without any obvious reasons.
What Causes Excessive Sweating?
There are various health reasons which can cause excess sweating and they are:
- Depression, anger, anxiety
- Diabetes, high blood pressure
- Hormonal disturbances, thyroid, obesity or overweight
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Parkinson’s disease, respiratory and heart problems
Home Remedies for Excessive Sweating
Sweating not just makes you feel embarrassed and afflicted, but also gives you a stinky body odor. So if you want to get rid of this excessive sweating, then try some of these natural and wonderful home remedies, which have no side effects and give an effective solution for your sweating problem. It also deals with the distress caused due to sweating.
1. Coconut Oil
This oil is widely used for the massaging purpose and is very beneficial for the body. The lauric acid present in coconut oil helps to remove the bacteria, which cause sweating.
The only hitch of using this oil is that it stains the clothes. Thus, to avoid this staining problem, use a little amount of coconut oil on your body and massage till it gets absorbed into the skin. This oil has a light fragrance, which will give you a refreshing feeling.
Method 1: Coconut Oil and Camphor
- Add 10 gms of crushed camphor to 1 cup of coconut oil.
- Mix it well to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the areas that sweat more.
- Rub it gently for 5-10 minutes or till it gets fully absorbed into the skin.
- Let it settle for 1 hour, or leave it overnight to control excessive sweats during sleep.
- Repeat this method every day to prevent excessive sweating.
Method 2: Organic Coconut Oil
- Take few drops of organic coconut oil in your palm.
- Apply this oil to your underarms and buttocks to control excessive sweating in those areas.
- Massage this oil in the affected area for 5 minutes or till the oil gets fully absorbed into your skin.
- You can follow this regularly to stop excessive armpit and buttocks sweating.
[Also Read:Top10 Proven Health Benefits of Coconut Oil]
2. Tomato Juice
Tomato contains antioxidant and astringent properties, which helps the skin pores to shrink. It also provides a cooling effect to the skin. Using tomatoes helps in controlling extreme sweating.
- Drink 1-2 glasses of tomato juice daily for 1-2 times a day.
- Repeat this regularly for a week, and then reduce the quantity of juice to half, till you find a reduction in your perspiration.
- This is one of the best antiperspirants for excessive sweating.
- Apply some fresh tomato juice to your body parts that sweat more.
- Allow it to settle for 15 minutes or till it becomes dry.
- Then wash it with cool water.
- This is safe, so you can apply it to your face, head, neck or other sensitive parts for controlling excessive sweating.
- Do this every day for few weeks before taking a bath or till you attain the desired results.
Vinegar contains astringent property, which helps to control the process of sweating. It maintains the pH levels of your body, mainly for underarms or feet to eliminate the bacteria, which produce more sweat in the body. In addition to that, it also prevents toe and foot fungus.
Method: Vinegar Foot Baths
- Take a foot basin and fill it with 1 liter of water.
- Now add ½ cup of vinegar and mix well.
- Instead of plain vinegar, you can use apple cider vinegar.
- Soak your feet in this solution for 30 minutes.
- After this, dry your feet and toes completely.
- This remedy is very effective in controlling excessive feet sweating.
- This exfoliates and dries your feet completely.
- If you want to stop your whole body to sweat, then you can add this vinegar to the bath water to avoid excessive sweating of the whole body.
4. Homemade Deodorant for Excessive Sweating
People who sweat excessively need homemade deodorants because the deodorants available in the market contain a high amount of chemicals that can damage your skin.
Let’s try making your own deodorant, which not only controls sweating but also soothes your skin as well as keeps you refresh all the day long.
- Take 1 tsp of baking soda and mix it with an adequate amount of water.
- Now, add any essential oil of your choice to it, but it is suggested to choose a fragrant essential oil like vanilla, lavender or lemon.
- Mix all the ingredients to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on your neck, feet, armpit, or on the area that sweats more.
- Allow it to settle for 20 minutes and then rinse off, or else you can leave it without cleaning.
- You can use this deodorant every day, especially while going out.
- This is one of the best deodorants for excessive sweating.
Since ancient times, lemon has been used to stop excessive sweating. Citric acid found in lemon eradicates the bacteria. Moreover, it’s pleasing fragrance works as a natural deodorant.
Do not apply lemon juice if you are about to go out in the sun. Night time is always the best time to apply lemon juice. This considered as one of the most recommended remedies for excessive sweating.
- Take 1 lemon and cut it into two halves.
- Rub half of the lemon on your armpits and feet.
- Make sure to press some juice of lemon while rubbing on the areas.
- You can wash the area after 20 minutes. For best results, leave it the whole night and wash it next day in the morning.
- Do not apply lemon juice directly, if you have sensitive skin. Dilute it with some water before applying it
- Take a cotton ball, dip it in the solution and then apply.
- Repeat this process regularly to avoid excessive sweating in the night.
- Mix 2 tbsp of lemon juice with 1 tsp of salt.
- Apply this solution on the parts of your body which are prone to sweating.
- Massage gently the areas with your fingers so that it gets absorbed into the skin.
- After 20-30 minutes, wash off with cool water and pat dry your skin.
- Using this remedy regularly will reduce the excessive perspiration.
- This method helps to slow down the activities of sweat glands, therefore, stops excessive sweating of underarms and other body parts.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties, which help in killing the bacteria and fungi present on the surface of the skin. It also has astringent properties, which stops the sweating. In addition to those it offers a pleasant smell to your body.
Caution: Don’t use this oil if your skin is very sensitive as it can cause irritation or burning sensation.
- Add 2 drops of tea tree oil to 2 tbsp of water.
- Mix well and apply this solution on your armpits.
- Don’t wash and let it remain there till you take a bath.
- Using this remedy regularly will help you to get rid of excessive sweating of the armpits.
- You can store this tea tree solution in a spray bottle and use it as a natural deodorant.
7. Green Gram and Milk
This is the best treatment for curing excessive sweating of the face and neck. This considered as one of the most effective remedies for excessive sweating.
- Take 1 tbsp of green gram and roast it in a pan.
- Now grind this to make a fine powder.
- Add 1 tbsp of milk to it to make a thin paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and neck area.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash with cool water.
- Repeating this remedy 2-3 times in a week helps to control excessive sweating of the face.
8. Wheatgrass Juice
A glass of wheatgrass is loaded with many nutrients and other benefits. It works by controlling the acid activity in your body and removing the harmful toxins from your blood, thus helps in controlling the excessive sweating.
- Take 1 cup of wheatgrass juice and dilute it with ½ cup of water.
- Or if you can drink wheatgrass juice without mixing it with water then it’s very good.
- Drink this juice in empty stomach in the morning.
- This will provide you complete relief from the problem of excessive sweating.
9. Cucumber Juice
Cucumber acts as a natural astringent, which helps in treating excessive facial sweating if used regularly. This considered as one of the simple and useful remedies for excessive sweating.
- Take 1 cucumber and take out its juice.
- Keep this juice in the fridge for 1-2 hrs.
- You can store this juice in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Apply it chilled.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in this juice.
- Now apply it on your face.
- Leave it for 20 minutes or till it becomes dry, and then wash it off.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day for few weeks, and you will find a big difference in your sweating problem.
Tips to Prevent Excessive Sweating
These tips are very powerful and can help you to obtain great results if applied or followed regularly.
- Eat grapes daily as it contains natural antioxidants, which help to regulate the normal temperature of your body, thus provides you relief from the overall sweating of the body.
- Don’t use deodorants and strong soaps as these contain chemicals, which increase the toxin level in your body.
- Shaving your underarms helps in controlling excessive sweating.
- Drinking plenty of water and fresh orange, grapes, wheatgrass, tomato and cucumber juices regularly will also stop excessive sweating.
- Shun hot, spicy and processed food.
- Avoid using strong creams and lotion on your face.
- Drink herbal teas like green tea, chamomile tea, sage tea, witch hazel tea etc, to prevent excessive sweating.
- Avoid drinking too much of coffee and other caffeinated drinks.
- Say no to alcohol because it is the main cause of excessive sweating.
- Applying ice on your face helps in controlling sweating of face and head.
- While taking a bath, add some rose water or any scented essential oil to avoid body odor.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes or synthetic clothing. Prefer to wear cotton clothes.
- Have a balanced diet and take lots of vitamins and minerals.
- Take foods that contain zinc like oysters, milk, chicken, oatmeal, eggs, leafy vegetables, kidney beans etc, or its supplements as these foods help to maintain the body’s metabolism, thus very useful in preventing excessive sweating.
- If you are on the heavier side, then try to shed some extra pounds by doing some exercises and dieting, as it causes extreme sweating and body odor.
No embarrassment and distress anymore! With these remedies and tips, I am sure you will be able to control excessive sweating. But it is better to check with your doctor once to know the actual reason behind this problem so that you can go for the correct treatment.