Winter is always a pleasant season. The nature looks so beautiful with trees covered in snow. In such a lovely weather, have you ever experienced inflammation in the nasal passages followed by a headache? It is a common symptom of a head cold. A blocked nose and sore throat can actually ruin all your fun in winter. So, if you need a quick relief, then follow home remedies to get rid of a head cold.
What is a Head Cold?
Head cold is generally referred as “common cold”. It is a viral infection which causes a mucus formation in the nose. If you want to know how long does a head cold last? The answer is it does not last for more than 10 days. The first three days of a head cold are generally unbearable as running nose creates a lot of discomforts. The symptoms of a head cold are manageable without serious medical attention. Simple home remedies for head cold provides a quick relief from the infection.
Symptoms of Head Cold
The viral infection of head cold has a tendency to create issues in your head, sinuses and face area. The common symptoms are running nose and headache. You will also experience the inflammation in the ear, throat and nasal passages. The categories of head cold symptoms are as follows-
Nose Problems – The symptoms of head cold vary from running nose to a blocked nose. The tissues in the nasal passages swell due to a viral infection of a head cold.
An earache and Headache – The middle ear area gets inflamed due to head cold, which leads to an earache. The tissues in the area of the sinuses swell due to a head cold. This swelling blocks the sinus cavities and creates pressure. The inflammation and pressure lead to a headache.
A sore throat – The inflamed and infected area of throat creates a sore throat. Generally, the back of the throat gets affected due to a head cold.
Home Remedies for Head Cold
The home remedies for head cold include intake of a lot of fluid, which clears the nasal passage. The head cold remedies need the ingredients readily available in the kitchen and the process is effortless to implement.
Refreshing Home Remedies for Head Cold
A hot drink is the best remedy to get rid of the head cold. You can enjoy a drink, which will help you to reduce the effect of a head cold. The hot drink provides quick relief from a headache and opens the blocked nose.
1. Milk with Turmeric for Head Cold
Milk with the combination of turmeric reduces the symptoms of a head cold. The turmeric fights against infection and provides relief from a headache and body aches. The milk provides essential nutrition to assure the early recovery from the head cold.
- Milk- 1 cup
- Turmeric powder- ½ tbsp
- Ginger powder- ½ tbsp
- Take 1 cup of milk and boil it.
- Add ½ tbsp of turmeric powder and ½ tbsp of ginger powder in it.
- Add some sugar as per your preference.
- Mix it well. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Drink the turmeric milk carefully.
- Repeat twice a day to prevent the head cold.
2. Herbal Tea for Head Cold
The herbal tea consists of spices which treat the infection of a head cold. It fights against the virus and reduces the impact of head cold on the body. It reduces a headache, body aches and inflammation of nasal passages.
- Coriander seeds- 1 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds- 1tbsp
- Sugar- 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- ½ tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Milk- 2 tbsp
- Take 1 cup of coriander seeds, 1 tbsp each of cumin seeds and fennel seeds and ½ tbsp of fenugreek seeds in a pan.
- Heat the pan and dry roast the seeds, till it becomes little brown in color.
- Grind the roasted seeds in a grinder to make a fine powder of herbal tea.
- Take 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Put 2 tbsp of herbal tea powder and 2 tbsp of sugar in it.
- Add 2 tbsp of milk in it and stir it properly.
- Boil the solution properly and filter it.
- Carefully drink the herbal tea when it is hot.
- Drink it twice a day till the head cold symptoms are reduced.
3. Mullein Tea for Head Cold
A hot cup of mullein tea helps to reduce the nasal and chest congestion. It reduces the chance of cough formation in the chest. The expectorant properties of mullein tea treat head cold rapidly.
- Mullein herb- 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Take 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Add 1 tbsp of mullein herb to boiling water.
- Let the water boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Filter the mullein tea.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey in it.
- Enjoy the mullein tea.
- Drink 2-3 times in a day to get rid of the head cold.
4. Chicken Soup for Head Cold
Chicken soup provides the necessary vitamins and nutrients to the body in order to fight against the head cold. It improves the speed of healing due to antioxidant properties. Homemade chicken soup is the best remedy to treat the head cold instantly.
- Chicken broth- 1 cup
- Medium size carrot- 1
- Egg noodles- 1 cup
- Ginger and garlic paste- 2 tbsp
- Chopped dill- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Boil 1 cup of chicken broth in the oven.
- Add chopped carrot, 2 tbsp of ginger and garlic paste and 1 tbsp of chopped dill.
- Cook for 20 minutes, until vegetables are just tender.
- Add 1 cup of chicken and 1 cup of egg noodles in it.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to it and stir it well.
- Eat it when it is hot to reduce symptoms of a head cold.
Quick Remedies for Head Cold
The quick remedies for head cold are easy to use and treat the viral infection rapidly. The ingredients are very simple and the process is also effortless.
Ginger – Ginger treats head cold due to its expectorant and antiviral properties. You can eat raw ginger to reduce head cold. A paste of 1 tsp of ginger mixed with 1 tsp of honey is also useful to get rid of a head cold. Many people just add the ginger powder in regular tea to get rid of a headache and a blocked nose.
Honey – Honey provides a soothing effect and kills the virus causing the head cold. It provides relief from a sore throat. Consume 2 tsp of honey with one tsp of lemon juice. Take the dose twice in a day and repeat until head cold is cured.
Apple cider vinegar – ACV kills the virus causing the head cold to treat the head cold symptoms. Mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with a ½ cup of warm water. Add 1 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of lemon juice in it. Drink the solution 3-4 times in a day to treat a head cold.
Onion Juice – Onion juice is very helpful to reduce a headache and sore throat. You can prepare the syrup of onion using onion and honey. You have to keep 1 chopped onion in the layer of 3-4 tbsp of honey. Keep it aside for overnight. Remove the onion pieces and drink the liquid syrup to get rid of a head cold.
Pepper – The capsaicin in pepper makes it effective to provide rid of nose congestion. It also helps to make mucus thin so that it can easily pass through nasal passages. Take 1-2 tsp of pepper sprinkled on a small towel. Smell the pepper throughout the day. You can also add pepper in your food to reduce symptoms of a head cold.
Cinnamon – Cinnamon provides relief from a sore throat and fights against the virus. Make a tea of cinnamon by adding 1 tbsp of cinnamon powder to boiling water. Drink it 2-3 times in a day when it is hot.
Tips to Reduce Effect of Head Cold
Apart from home remedies the tips to reduce the effect of a head cold are also useful to fight the infection. The tips will help to recover from head cold very quickly.
- Drink a lot of water or juice. This will prevent dehydration and it also, breaks up the congestion.
- Blow your nose properly to remove mucus from your body. This will reduce the chance of congestion of mucus in your head.
- Gargle regularly with warm salt water. This will provide relief from a sore throat.
- Inhale steam to reduce nasal congestion and running nose.
- Take a rest as a lot of energy is required to fight against the head cold virus.
So, if you are suffering from a head cold, use the home remedies can get better soon. There is generally no need for a serious medication for a head cold. Simple head cold remedies can treat the head cold quickly. Share your experience with the use of home remedies to fight against a head cold.