Herpes on Lips is a type of oral herpes that occurs due to the infection caused by a virus, known as herpes simplex virus type 1(HSV –1). Oral herpes is generally the infection that occurs in the mouth, lips, and the gums. Herpes on the lips is a very contagious disease like chickenpox, where the virus infection can easily be transferred from the affected person to others by any form of skin contact, such as kissing, hugging, or by sharing personal belongings.
Symptoms of Herpes on the Lips
If you are suffering from herpes on the lips, you may experience the following symptoms.
- Red and swollen blisters, followed by fever.
- An itching sensation on the lips and on the area near the mouth.
- Cold sores or fever blisters on the lips
- A sore throat, etc.
Home Remedies for Herpes on Lips
How to get rid of herpes on the lips is a question which many of you must be asking and you surely want to find a way to treat this painful problem. There are many home remedies that will help to treat this infection naturally. Moreover, these home remedies will subside the symptoms of herpes on the lips and give relief from the pain, swelling, and burning and itching sensation.
At the same time, these remedies will also prevent the infection. As soon as you notice the first sign of herpes on your lips, go for any of these home remedies that are mentioned below for herpes on the lips at the first place.
You can find garlic in any kitchen, which is a very powerful herb in treating various health issues and skin infections. It is antimicrobial in nature, which helps to kill the viruses and the bacteria that cause herpes.
Loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, garlic works as one of the effective home remedies for herpes on lips. Its use helps in reducing the pain and inflammation of herpes on the lips. Using raw garlic in your diet every day is very useful in preventing this condition.
Method-1: Raw Garlic
- Garlic cloves- 4 to 5
- Honey- 2 tsp
- Take 4-5 garlic cloves and chop them finely or make a fine paste by grinding them.
- Mix 2 tsp of honey to the garlic paste and mix well.
- Swallow this mixture slowly to combat herpes and its reoccurrence.
- Follow this process every day for few days to treat herpes on lips effectively.
Method-2: Garlic with Olive oil
- Garlic cloves – 5 to 6
- Olive oil- 1 cup
- Take 5-6 cloves of garlic and peel them.
- Now, crush them softly.
- In a pan, pour 1 cup of olive oil and heat it.
- Add the crushed garlic into the oil and cook for some time till the garlic becomes brown in color.
- Then, strain the oil and keep it in a bottle.
- Now, apply the oil on the affected areas of herpes on your lips as well as other areas of your mouth affected by herpes.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times in a day till your herpes get cleared completely.
[Also Read:How to Get Rid of Chapped Lips]
2. Essential Oils
There are some essential oils, such as thyme, ginger, sandalwood, hyssop, grape seed oil, etc., that are antiviral and antimicrobial in nature. These oils help in curing herpes on the lips.
Method: Essential Oil Application
- Thyme oil-2 drops
- Ginger oil-2 drops
- Sandalwood oil-2 drops
- Hyssop oil-2 drops
- Grape seed oil- 1 tbsp
- Small bowl
- Cotton swab
- In a bowl, take 2 drops each of thyme, ginger, sandalwood and hyssop oil and 1 tbsp of grape seed oil.
- Mix all the oils well.
- Take a cotton swab and dip it in this mixture of essential oils.
- Apply this mixed oil on herpes on your lips with the help of the cotton swab.
- Make sure to use a fresh cotton swab for each application to avoid spreading of herpes in other parts of your lips.
- Follow this process daily 3-4 times to heal the blisters that have occurred due to herpes on the lips.
Note: Avoid using this remedy if you are pregnant.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the best home remedies for herpes on the lips. It is antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic in nature, which makes it very effective in treating herpes on the lips.
Method: Tea Tree Oil Application
- Carrier oil – 1 to 2 tsp
- Tea tree oil- 1 to 2 drops
- A cotton swab
- Wash your hands with soap and water and pat dry completely. You can directly apply tree tea oil on herpes on the lips, but it may cause a burning sensation on the skin of the lips. So it is best to mix it with a carrier oil.
- Take 1-2 drops of tea tree oil and add 1-2 tsp of carrier oil, such as almond, olive or coconut oil to it.
- Now, with the help of a cotton swab, apply this tea tree oil mixture to your blisters on the lips.
- Allow this oil to remain there on your skin for few minutes or till it becomes dry.
- Wash your hands again after applying the oil.
- Follow this home remedy 3 to 4 times every day to get rid of herpes on the lips
Note: Do not apply tea tree oil anywhere on your skin except sores or blisters as it may cause irritation.
4. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is considered as one of the best home remedies for herpes on lips. Aloe vera gel works well in reducing herpes blisters. It offers a solution to almost all types of skin problems. It also contains antioxidants properties, which reduce inflammation and eases the skin irritation. Always use the aloe vera gel that is extracted from its leaf as it is more effective and contains natural salicylates, which is known as a pain alleviator.
Method: Aloe Vera Gel Application
- Aloe vera leaf/ aloe vera gel
- Cotton swab
- Lukewarm water
- A Spoon
- Take a washed aloe vera leaf and ensure that your hands are also washed.
- Cut the leaf with the help of a knife.
- Take out the gel with the help of a spoon.
- If aloe vera leaf is not available, then you can buy aloe vera gel which is 100 % pure.
- Now, apply this aloe vera gel on your blisters and herpes sores with a cotton swab to avoid the spreading of the germs to other parts of your body.
- Allow it to dry completely, and then clean the aloe vera gel with a towel, soaked in lukewarm water.
- This remedy will provide a soothing effect to the herpes
- By repeating this process every day 3-4 times will help in getting rid of herpes on the lips.
[Also Read:How to Get Rid of Cold Sores]
5. Milk of Magnesia
Magnesium hydroxide, often called as milk of magnesia, is an organic compound that helps in treating oral herpes. It appears like milk, therefore it is known as milk of magnesia.
Method-1: Milk of Magnesia Application
- Milk of magnesia – 1 to 2 tsp
- Cotton ball
- Take 1-2 tsp of milk of magnesia and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Apply this solution on herpes on the lips directly with the help of the cotton ball as a protective coating.
- Repeat this process daily 2-3 times in a day to dry herpes sores.
Method-2: Milk of Magnesia Mouthwash
- Milk of magnesia – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 tbsp of milk of magnesia to wash your mouth after each meal.
- This will help to protect the herpes blister from spicy foods which cause discomfort.
- Wash your mouth regularly with this milk of magnesia, which will also help to prevent pain and inflammation.
6. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains high antioxidants properties, which treats herpes on the lips by preventing the viral infections. Due to its moisturizing properties, it soothes the skin and decreases the itching sensation and irritation on the skin of the lips.
Method: Olive Oil Application
- Olive oil- 1 cup
- A Pan
- Beeswax oil- 1to 2 drops
- Lavender oil- 1 to 2 drops
- Take 1 cup of olive oil and heat it in a pan.
- Add 1-2 drops each of beeswax and lavender oil to the pan.
- Mix it well and then heat the oil for a minute.
- Allow the oil to cool naturally and then put this oil on herpes on the lips with the help of your finger.
- Apply this oil mixture 3 to 4 times daily till you get cured completely.
7. Licorice Root
Licorice root has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties to fight the herpes virus. It also strengthens the immune system of the body, which helps to fight the skin infections.
Method: Licorice Root Paste
- Licorice root powder- 1 tbsp
- Water- ½ tbsp
- Take 1 tbsp of licorice root powder and mix ½ tbsp of water with it to make a paste.
- Apply this paste gently on the infected area of herpes on the lips.
- Leave it for 2 to 3 hours for effective results.
- You can also apply licorice root extract, gel, or cream on herpes on your lips
- Repeat this process 3 to 4 times in a day till your blisters dried up completely.
Note: Stop using licorice root if it causes a burning sensation or skin irritation.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Loaded with natural disinfectants, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties, apple cider vinegar help to heal and treat herpes effectively.
Method-1: Apple Cider Vinegar Application
- Apple cider vinegar-1 to2 tsp
- Cotton ball
- Take 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Apply this ACV on your lips and other affected areas with the cotton ball.
- Repeat this application 3-4 times daily for 4-5 days to reduce herpes on the lips.
Note: Apple cider vinegar may cause a tingling sensation initially but is not harmful.
Method-2: Apple Cider Vinegar and Water
- Apple cider vinegar-1 to 2 tsp
- Warm water-1 cup
- In a cup of hot water, mix 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar nicely.
- Now, drink this mixture daily twice a day.
- This process will help to treat herpes on the lips.
9. Lemon Balm
To reduce the intensity of the herpes outbreak on the lips, it is useful to apply lemon balm. It is one of the most effective home remedies for herpes on the lips. It contains antibacterial and antiviral properties, which heals herpes. Lemon balm is also known as a natural pain reliever due to a compound called ‘eugenol’ in it.
Method-1: Lemon Balm Tea Compress
- Boiling water-2 cups
- Lemon balm leaves – 4 to 5
- Or dried lemon balm leaves – 2 tbsp
- Add 3 to 4 fresh lemon balm leaves or 2 tbsp dried lemon balm to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Steep it for 15 minutes and then let it cool naturally.
- Strain the tea and drink it warm.
- Or use this tea compress to clean the affected area.
- Follow this process twice of thrice in a day to get rid of herpes on the lips.
Method-2: Lemon Balm Application
- Lemon balm
- Take some lemon balm and apply directly on your lips.
- Leave this balm for few minutes till it dries completely.
- Continue this process 3-4 times in a day to reduce blisters on your lips.
[Also Read:How to Get Rid of Swollen Lips]
Tips to Cure and Prevent Herpes
Further tips will help you to get rid of herpes on the lips naturally and will also help in preventing the recurrence of herpes on your lips.
- Drink peppermint tea several times in a day as it helps in reducing the pain and inflammation that are associated with herpes. It treats herpes on the lips
- Drink 10 to 30 ounces of coconut oil daily as it contains lauric and capric acid, which helps to kill herpes virus.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a cloth and apply it on the blisters on your lips. It will soothe your affected area and reduce swelling.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol while affected from herpes on the lips.
- Apply some baking soda on the blisters on the lips to control the itching sensation and to provide some relief from the painful sores on the lips.
- Wash your hands regularly and maintain a proper hygiene to avoid the spreading of the herpes infection.
- Avoid eating sugar and sweets as sugar facilitates the growth of herpes virus. Instead use honey as a sweetener, which contains antiseptic qualities.
- Avoid foods, such as seafood, red meat, eggs, lentils, etc. These foods contain argentine that causes more infection.
- Have the diet, which is high in lysine, such as chicken, turkey, fish, vegetables, legumes, etc., as they contain anti-viral properties and inhibit argentine protein production in the body.
- Stress reduces the ability of your body to fight infection, so avoid taking stress completely.
These home remedies for herpes on your lips and other parts of your body. But after using these remedies for 7-8 days, if herpes on your lips does not heal, then consult a doctor