Do you get a burning sensation in your mouth as soon as you eat food? Does your mouth burn even when you drink a glass of water? If you are getting these symptoms, then possibly you have ulcers in your mouth.
Mouth ulcers are quite painful. They are the open pores found on your tongue, gum, lips and inside your cheeks. They are either yellow or white in color.
Causes of Mouth Ulcer
Mouth ulcer is a common condition, which affects 20% of the normal population. There are various causes for which a person gets frequent ulcers in the mouth. Some of the common causes of mouth ulcer are:
- Lack of oral hygiene
- Stress and anxiety
- Nutritional deficiency
- Hormonal conditions
- Citrus fruits and vegetables
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
If you are suffering from mouth ulcer, then you will not be able to enjoy even the most delicious food on earth. So what is the solution for this problem? Yes, you guessed it right. There are many home remedies for mouth ulcers, which will give you immediate relief and cure. Let’s read on to know more.
Honey has antimicrobial properties which easily cure mouth ulcer. Honey soothes the ulcers present in your mouth by retaining back the moisture.
Method 1: Using Raw Honey
- Take few drops of honey in a small container.
- Take some warm water in a glass.
- First gargle your mouth with warm water.
- Apply the raw honey to the affected area using your fingers or a piece of cotton (you can also consume raw honey as there is no harm in it).
- Repeat this every day to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Method 2: Honey with Turmeric
- Take 1drop of honey in a teaspoon.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Make a paste of it and apply it to the affected areas of your mouth to get relief.
Method 3: Honey with Coconut Milk
- Take 1tpsp of honey.
- Add 1tpsp of coconut milk to it and make a paste of it.
- Gently apply the paste to the mouth ulcers.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times every day to treat your mouth ulcers.
Lime is used as a mouth ulcer remedy because of its acidic properties.
Method 1: Lemon
- Take 1 fresh lemon and make it into 2 halves.
- Apply one of the slices to the ulcers in the mouth. You may feel a burning sensation in your mouth, but it will give you a quick relief.
- If the burning sensation exists then take some honey and gently apply to the areas which will fast soothe the burning sensation.
Method 2: Lemon with Baking Soda
- Take 1 fresh lemon and cut into halves.
- Take ¼ of baking soda in a glass.
- Squeeze the lemon into the glass.
- Add 1 tbsp of cold water to it.
- Add ½ tbsp of honey to it.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply it to the affected area.
- Repeat this process everyday once in the morning and at the night before you go to sleep to treat mouth ulcers.
Loaded with medicinal properties, tulsi is recommended to cure many diseases including mouth ulcer. Tulsi is considered as one of the best and easily available natural remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Pick some tulsi leaves from your garden.
- Wash it to remove the dust from it.
- Chew the leaves for some time.
- Repeat this process every day to get rid of mouth ulcers very quickly. You can also prevent its future recurrence.
4. Gargle Using Salt Water
Perform salt water gargling to get quick relief from the mouth ulcers as salt fights the bacteria that cause mouth ulcers. It is one of the best preferred home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Take a glass of water.
- Add 2 tbsp of salt to it and stir well.
- Keep the saline solution in your mouth for some time. The less amount of salt you add the more you can hold the water in your mouth.
- Swish the solution to both the corners of your mouth as the salt in the water will kill the germs that cause mouth ulcers.
- Repeat this process every day after your meals. If the burning sensation occurs due to salt, you can apply a drop of honey to that area as it will give you a soothing effect.
5. Coriander Seeds
Use coriander seeds as a home remedy for mouth ulcer. It will reduce the pain and the inflammation of the affected area.
- Take 2 cups of water in a container and boil it.
- Add 1tbsp of coriander seeds to it.
- Allow it to boil for some time and remove the seeds from the water.
- Swish the liquid of the coriander to both sides of your mouth.
- Repeat this process every day until you get relief from mouth ulcers.
6. Poppy Seeds
Poppy seeds offer a special cooling effect to the mouth ulcers. The consumption of poppy seeds will reduce the occurrence of mouth ulcers, which you get due to the excess of heat in your body.
- Take some poppy seeds and crush it into a fine powder and keep it in a container.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of sugar to it.
- Mix the sugar and poppy seeds powder well.
- Consume this mixture to prevent ulcers in the mouth.
7. Fenugreek Leaves
Fenugreek leaves offer one of the simplest home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Take a container with 2 cups of fresh water and boil it.
- Add some fenugreek leaves to the boiling water.
- Allow it to cool. Now separate the liquid from the leaves.
- Gargle your mouth with the liquid.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times every day to treat the mouth ulcers.
Tomatoes to an extent can give soothing and cooling effects to your mouth ulcers.
- Take some fresh tomatoes and make juice of it and drink it every day to get rid of mouth ulcers. You can also consume raw tomatoes.
Glycerine will cure your mouth ulcers very quickly when used along with turmeric.
- Take a 1tbsp of glycerine.
- Add to it a pinch of turmeric.
- Mix these well and make a paste of it.
- Gently apply the paste over the affected areas.
- Repeat this process every day to keep the mouth ulcers at bay.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda which is also known as sodium bi carbonate kills the bacteria that are present in the ulcers. It also reduces the mouth ulcer inflammation.
- Take 1 tbsp of baking soda.
- Add some water to it to make a paste.
- Apply it to the mouth ulcers directly. Believe me this process will reduce the pain and ulcer in your mouth.
11. Licorice Root
Licorice root has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties which will easily cure your mouth ulcers.
- First crush the licorice root to powder if finely.
- Take 2 cups of fresh water and add 1 tbsp of licorice root powder to it.
- Allow it to soak for 2-3 hours.
- Repeat this process twice a week for best results.
Tips to Prevent and Treat Mouth Ulcer
- You must go for an oral check up every 4 months to keep your mouth and teeth clean.
- Maintain an oral hygiene to prevent the recurrence of mouth ulcers. Brush your teeth twice daily. Also rinse your mouth properly with water after every meal.
- Avoid consuming spicy food to prevent mouth ulcer. If you get mouth ulcers, eat the foods which will offer a soothing effect. You can consume more curd to sooth your ulcer.
- Consume foods that are rich in Vitamin B. Mouth ulcers can also be cured by drinking tender coconut water or by applying the fresh coconut oil to it.
- You can also rub ice cubes on the ulcers to get relief.
- You can also apply a little ghee, butter milk, castor oil to the ulcers to get quick relief from ulcers in the mouth.
Did you try out any of these home remedies for mouth ulcers? Do you have any suggestion to treat mouth ulcers? Mail us, we are always here to help you.