Many people enjoy a hard night party and consume a lot of alcohol. The enjoyment often results into hangover in the next morning. Have you ever experienced severe headache due to a hangover? If yes, then you must be wondering how you can get rid of a hangover.
You don’t have to worry anymore as we have brought for you some simple home remedies to get rid of hangover. Let us look in detail what is a hangover, its causes, and symptoms as well as hangover remedies.
What is Hangover?
A hangover is a group of troublesome physical and mental symptoms which occur due to excessive consumption of alcohol. Although the quantity of alcohol which leads to the hangover vary for different individuals, for some people a single shot is enough to get a hangover.
What causes a Hangover?
There is no doubt that excessive intake of alcohol is the main reason behind hangover. Let us look in detail about how alcohol acts on our body which leads to the hangover.
- Alcohol irritates the lining of the stomach which produces a lot of stomach acid and leads to abdominal pain, nausea as well as vomiting.
- Alcohol makes your body urinate frequently which lead to dehydration. Thus, you start feeling dizzy and thirst.
- Alcohol consumption makes you sleep more than usual, thus you feel sleepy and tired.
- Alcohol intake sometimes drops the sugar level of the body which leads to fatigue, mood changes, feeling weak, shakiness etc.
- Alcohol also makes your blood vessels expand which results in a headache or if you have a migraine then it will cause a migraine headache.
- Certain alcoholic drinks like red wine, rum, gin, brandy, and whiskey contain a component called congeners which contributes to the hangover.
Symptoms of Hangover
Hangover depends on the amount of alcohol consumption which can last for long depending on each person’s intake capability. Some of the common symptoms which you may notice are:
- Nausea, vomiting and stomach pain
- Disturbed sleep and fatigue
- Headaches, and muscle cramps
- Dizziness, shakiness, and difficulty to concentrate
- Disturbed moods like irritation, depression, and anxiety
- Vertigo, sudden heartbeat
- Feeling thirsty, and tired
- Sweating, and fast heartbeat
Quick Remedies to Get Rid of Hangover
Time is considered as a cure for a hangover, as time will pass on the hangover will lower down. As a headache due to a hangover is quite unbearable, you can try some simple ways to reduce the impact of the hangover. Let us look into some of the natural remedies that can help to get rid of a bad hangover.
Lemon provides relief from some of the hangover symptoms like dizziness, being sensitive to light and sound. It also heals muscular pain. Lemon rebalances the body by changing the pH level and regulates the level of blood sugar.
Things you need
- Lemon- 1-2
- Warm water- 1 glass
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Take 1-2 lemon, and take out 2 tbsp of juice.
- Mix the lemon juice in a glass of warm water.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey.
- Stir well, and drink as soon you wake up in the morning.
- You can have this drink 2-3 times throughout the day.
- This remedy will help you to get rid of the hangover fast.
2. Coconut Water
Coconut water is a natural electrolyte and isotonic the body and rehydrated it instantly. It is packed with a high content of potassium and antioxidants, which help to get rid of a hangover.
This is one of the must try home remedies to get rid of hangover. It provides instant relief from hangover symptoms.
- Drink 4-5 coconut water throughout the day.
- It helps to recover the lost electrolytes in your body which prevent dehydration and acidity.
- It works as a natural energy drink and provides instant energy which gives you relief from tiredness and fatigue. Regular use of coconut water will avoid the hangover completely, as it is touted with healing and medicinal property.
Excessive drinking of alcohol drains out a large quantity of potassium from your body. So, to gain the lost potassium and electrolytes, banana is the best solution. The potassium content of the banana is high and it provides a soothing effect on your stomach as well as boost up the energy level in your body.
- Have 2-3 bananas in your breakfast or you can prepare banana milkshake, by adding honey as a sweetener.
- Do not add sugar, as it will worsen your problem.
- Bananas are very good in alleviating hangover symptoms.
- Adding 1 or 2 bananas in your daily diet will prevent a hangover.
Honey is another wonderful cure for hangover symptoms. It neutralizes the effects of extra intake of alcohol. Moreover, it contains fructose, which metabolizes the added alcohol in your body and thus reduces the symptoms of a hangover.
Things you need
- Honey- 3-4 tbsp
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Have 3-4 tbsp of honey at regular intervals of 1 hour or till your symptoms are reduced.
- Another way of taking honey is by mixing 2 tbsp of honey in a cup of warm water.
- Drink this 3-4 times a day.
- Or you can have honey on a cracker, or dry toast for breakfast, and eat it up to 5 times during the day, till you get over a hangover.
5. Toast and Egg
Instead of bringing a greasy breakfast, try out some toast and egg, a healthy breakfast. It will nourish your body by providing extra nutrients. Eggs contain cysteine, which removes toxicity, by breaking down the alcohol in your body.
Things you need
- Egg- 1
- Toast- 2-3 slice
- Eat 2-3 slices of plain toast along with scrambled or poached eggs.
- The egg is a good source of protein, and toast contains carbohydrates, which are good recovery nutrients.
- And Before eating this for breakfast, drink 1-2 glasses of water.
- Toast and egg are considered to be one of the best hangover foods.
Ginger is one of the best cures to treat symptoms like nausea and vomiting. It also helps in the digestion of alcohol by soothing the stomach and gives quick relief.
Method 1: Direct Consumption of Ginger
Things you need
- Ginger- 1-inch piece
- Take a small inch of the peeled ginger piece.
- Chop it into small pieces.
- And chew them at every 2 hours during the day.
- By following this, you will find relief from hangovers.
Method: 2 Ginger Tea
Things you need
- Ginger- 2-inch piece
- Water- 4 cups
- Orange Juice- 1 cup
- Honey- 4 tbsp
- Lemon Juice- 1 tbsp
- Take some peeled ginger, and slice it into 10-12 small pieces.
- Boil 4 cups of water, and add ginger slices to it.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- After this, add 1 cup of orange juice, 4 tbsp of honey, and 1tbsp of lemon juice.
- Stir well, and drink it warm, 3-4 times during the day.
- It is one of the best things for a hangover as it works wonders inside your tummy.
7. Tomato juice
One of the simplest ways to get rid of hangover symptoms is by drinking tomato juice. Tomato consists of the high amount of vitamins, minerals, and active enzymes, which effectively overcome the after effects of alcohol. It also contains fructose, a form of sugar which assists in metabolizing alcohol swiftly from your body.
Things you need
- Tomato -4-5
- Lemon juice- 1tbsp
- Honey- 1tbsp
- Cayenne pepper- ½ tsp (optional)
- Take 4-5 tomatoes to make a tomato juice
- Or if you have a packed tomato juice at home, then pour it into a glass.
- Now, add 1tbsp each of lemon juice and honey.
- If you have then mixed some cayenne pepper also.
- Have a glass of juice in the morning and afternoon.
- This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of hangover.
Peppermint is one of the wells tested herbal remedy to treat the most common symptoms of a severe hangover. It promotes proper digestion and alleviates anxiety, gas, bloating, acidity as well as nausea. It speeds up the detoxification process and provides instant relief from the hangover.
Method: 1 Peppermint Tea
Things you need
- Peppermint leaves- 1 tbsp
- Hot water- 2 cups
- Take 1 tbsp of dried peppermint leaves, and add it to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Allow it to boil for 15 minutes, and then strain it.
- Drink this 2-3 times, during the first half of the day.
Method: 2 Peppermint Oil Bath
Things you need
- Peppermint Oil – 4-5 drops
- Warm water in bathtub
- Take 4-5 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Fill the bathtub with warm water, and pour this oil into it.
- Now, immerse yourself in a bathtub for 30 minutes.
- This soothing bath will relax, and rejuvenate your body and mind.
- If you are having a headache due to the hangover, then instead of this, just use a cold compress.
Tips to Prevent a Hangover
If you want to enjoy drinking and don’t want to get a hangover again, then have a look into some of the tips which will help in not repeating a hangover.
- Never drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Try having it with healthy food like grilled chicken or steamed veggies.
- Try avoiding champagne, as it contains a lot of bubbles that speeds up the absorption of alcohol and make you drink it fast which turns out into a bad hangover.
- While mixing with alcohol, choose Mix orange and other juices with alcohol instead of soda. As fruit and vegetable juices contain vitamins and less sugar it will help you to avoid a hangover.
- Add multi-vitamins and potassium in your daily diet, as it recovers whatever nutrients are lost from drinking alcohol. Thus, it reduces the chances of a hangover.
- Always drink alcohol by sipping it slowly, and try avoiding dark drinks like rum, whiskey and red wine as it contains congener which is the main cause for a hangover.
- Avoid smoking while consuming alcohol, as it irritates your stomach lining, and thus increase the chances of a hangover.
- Have a sufficient sleep after consuming alcohol. The body has the capacity to recover naturally while sleeping.
- Eat prickly pear fruit before drinking alcohol, as it is very good in preventing a hangover. It contains some anti-inflammatory properties which balance the damage after drinking alcohol.
- Drink plenty of water before and after drinking alcohol, as dehydration causes a lot of hangover symptoms especially
- Never drink or eat anything sweet while having alcohol.
- Avoid eating fried foods while drinking, as fats will put extra pressure on your digestive system which is already being strained due to the intake of alcohol.
- Avoid drinking coffee or tea while you are suffering from a hangover as it can aggravate a hangover by irritating your bowel which leads to nausea and vomiting.
- Walk in the fresh air, which will relax your mind, and thus can avoid some hangover symptoms.
- Use hangover patch prior to drinking, as it contains Vitamin B1 (thiamine) which directly gets released into a blood stream by applying patches in your arms and prevents the hangover., Have a warm shower or bath to calm your body, and prevent muscle pains as well as
So, here you go. Just follow the home remedies to get rid of a hangover. You will find it easy to work normally even after consumption of heavy drink the earlier night. The hangover is easy to avoid by using the given tips. The most important thing is to lower the consumption of alcohol as it is not good for your health, Keep us posted about your experience on how to get rid of hangover using home remedies. Stay healthy, stay happy!