Diabetes is a complex metabolism disorder which is diagnosed in the majority of people these days. The present article will guide you through the topic of honey for diabetes. It will provide you insight about how you can use honey to cure diabetes.
In this condition, the body is unable to use the high levels of sugar or glucose present in the blood. This is mainly because the pancreas does not produce enough insulin which is required to convert the glucose into a source of energy.
Diabetes can be a life-threatening disease and it can affect the entire body and impact the quality of life. Although there is no cure for diabetes yet one can live a healthy life by managing the condition effectively by following a right diet.
In matters of diabetes, the first thing an endocrinologist suggests is to eliminate the intake of sugars from the diet. Yet, honey, a natural sweetener alternative to sugar is proven to be beneficial for diabetics.
Although many studies don’t suggest honey for curing diabetes as honey contains more carbohydrates and is sweeter than sugar. Whereas some researchers at the Islamic Establishment for Education in the United Arab Emirates claim that consuming honey can lower the glucose levels.
So, honey and diabetes are closely associated with treating diabetes. After discussing the brief about diabetes now let’s discuss can diabetics eat honey or not.
Honey possesses many medicinal benefits and is a rich source of many vital vitamins and minerals, unlike sugars which are only empty calories. As per clinical trials in diabetics honey requires lower levels of insulin relatively to the regular sugar. It is even noticed that honey does not raise the blood sugar levels instantly like regular sugar does as honey has lower glycemic index.
It is also a must to mention that the level of glucose tolerance of an individual differs from another diabetic person. Honey contains two types of sugars which are glucose and fructose and both these types of sugars are absorbed by the body at different rates. According to the level of glucose tolerance honey for diabetics can be consumed.
Honey for Diabetes
Diabetes and Honey are even closely associated with cholesterol as diabetics are at a risk of developing a high level of cholesterol. In such a scenario as well consumption of honey is beneficial in decreasing the bad cholesterol and seen improvement in good cholesterol levels.
[Don’t Miss: Health Benefits of Honey]
So as far as the question about is honey good for you then yes it is good if taken in lesser quantity as a natural and healthier replacement for regular sugar. In fact, a diabetic must ensure to eat only pure honey as adulterated honey may contain added sugar to it.
Types of Honey Available
One can find several variants of honey on the shelves of a supermarket, but these are few natural variants which are beneficial for the health.
- Manuka Honey
- Buckwheat Honey
- Neem Honey
- Acacia Honey
Amongst these variants seem honey for diabetes is highly recommended in home remedies.
This neem honey is extracted from the flowers of neem naturally and possesses the benefits of neem to control the blood sugar levels.
There are few Ayurveda remedies with honey for diabetes with type 2 and type 1 which are proven to be beneficial for diabetics in controlling the blood sugar levels. So continue to read on and find the best natural cures for leading a healthy life with diabetes.
Honey, Basil Leaves, Neem Leaves, and Turmeric
This basil, neem, turmeric and honey diabetes remedy is excellent for maintaining blood sugar levels when consumed regularly. All these natural ingredients are potent in boosting the body’s immunity levels and stabilizing the blood sugars.
Basil Leaves is known to increase the insulin levels, reduce glucose level and helps to prevent cardiovascular complications in diabetics.
Neem Leaves extract is highly beneficial for improving the sensitivity of insulin in diabetics which enables the body to regulate sugar levels in the body.
Turmeric contains potent anti-inflammatory properties which prevent the inflammation in the body from killing insulin-producing cells. Thus turmeric is an effective ingredient in this remedy.
Honey curing diabetes is well discussed above but honey along with the combination of these ingredients makes it a very effective remedy for stabilizing diabetes.
Things we need
- Honey- 1 tbsp.
- Dried Basil Leaves Powder- 50 grams
- Dried Neem Leaves Powder- 50 grams
- Turmeric Powder- 50 grams
- Glass Jar
- Firstly take a mixing bowl and add in dried basil leaves powder.
- Then add in neem powder and turmeric powder into basil leaves and mix well.
- Store all these dry ingredients in a glass jar.
- For consumption take 1 tbsp of this dried powder mixture and mix it along with 1 tbsp of honey.
- Eat this honey for diabetes mixture early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- This process must be repeated daily in the morning for regularizing blood sugar levels naturally.
Honey, Cinnamon and Fruit Smoothie
Endocrinologists always suggest that breakfast is the most important meal for diabetics.
As the 8 to 10 hours of fasting period at night, the body mobilizes the glucose stored in the body which can deplete or drop the blood glucose levels further the next day. This can lead to low blood sugar levels causing giddiness, irritability or even worse coma.
To avoid such serious health complications in diabetes people must start their day with healthy breakfast for a supply of glucose. One might question that can diabetics have honey in breakfast.
For this researchers state that honey is a good natural alternative for adding glucose to breakfast and maintaining the blood sugar levels in the morning. The combination of fresh fruits, cinnamon, milk, yogurt, and honey as a breakfast recipe works wonders in curing diabetes.
Things we need
- Fresh Strawberries- 1 Cup
- Banana- 1 Nos
- Skim Milk- 1 Cup
- Low Fat Yogurt- ½ Cup
- Honey- ¼ Cup
- Cinnamon Powder- 2 tsp
- Firstly peel the banana and chop it into medium sized pieces.
- Then wash the strawberries and cut it into 2 halves.
- Later add the chopped fruits, milk, yogurt and honey and cinnamon powder into blending jar.
- Blend on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until all the ingredients are smooth.
- Then pour the smoothie into a glass and drink it immediately.
- This diabetes honey, cinnamon, and fresh fruits smoothie can be consumed for breakfast as a honey for curing diabetes natural remedy.
Honey, Ginger and Lemon Tea
One of the most common queries at endocrinologist is can a diabetic eat honey with tea to prevent diabetes-related complications.
As one of the major complications of diabetes is the kidney damage. To avoid kidney failure or kidney related complications this honey, ginger, and lemon tea is very beneficial.
In this honey, lemon and ginger tea the high levels of zinc found in ginger helps in production and secretion of insulin to control the blood sugar levels.
The other ingredients lemon with honey is even excellent for combating other harmful effects of diabetes like blood pressure and heart problems.
Things we need
- Ginger- 2 to 3-inch Piece
- Lemon Juice- 1 Whole Nos
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Lemon Slice- 1 Nos
- Water- 4 Cups
- Take a large saucepan and add in water and sliced ginger pieces.
- Then put the saucepan on the heat and let the ginger simmer in water for 20 minutes.
- Later remove the saucepan from heat and add lemon juice and let it steep again for 20 minutes.
- Then pour warm ginger lemon tea in a cup and add honey and stir well.
- Serve with a lemon slice and enjoy this ginger and honey tea warm.
- Try this delicious and highly beneficial ginger tea and resolve all the doubts about is honey ok for diabetics are not.
Honey, Bitter Melon, Ginger, and Lemon Remedy
Diabetes is basically categorized into two types which are type 1 and type 2. Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder which destructs the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
Whereas people with diabetes type 2 are able to produce insulin but the body does not use it effectively. In diabetes type 2 the risk of nerve and kidney damage is very high.
For preventing the risks the smoothie of bitter melon, lemon juice, ginger, honey and diabetes type 2 is the perfect combination. Along with honey bitter melon is an excellent time-tested ingredient for treating the diabetes type 2.
As bitter melon contains 3 active substances which help to reduce the blood sugar levels substantially.
Things we need
- Bitter Melon Chopped- 1 Nos
- Lemon Juice- ½ Nos
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Grated Ginger- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Chilled Water- ½ Cup
- Firstly soak the bitter melon pieces in water to which salt has been added to reduce the bitterness.
- Then remove the bitter melons from the salty water and rinse the bitter melon pieces with plain water.
- Later add the rinsed bitter melon pieces into the blending jar along with ½ cup of chilled water.
- Then blend for 1 minute on high speed or until its smooth puree like consistency.
- Later pour the bitter melon smoothie into a glass.
- Then add honey, lemon juice, and grated ginger and stir well.
- Drink this smoothie immediately for best results.
- Try this smoothie with bitter melon, ginger, lemon juice, honey and blood sugar
- Try this combination of honey and blood sugar as it is considered as a match made by nature because honey helps in controlling blood sugar levels.
Still thinking honey for diabetes good or bad then try the above-mentioned remedies for treating and stabilizing diabetes naturally.
Important Points to Remember
- Always consult an endocrinologist before switching to the natural honey remedies.
- Monitor the blood sugar levels regularly while trying honey for curing diabetes.
- Always consume honey in moderation or as prescribed by the endocrinologist.
- Along with the intake of honey for diabetes remedies, it’s a must to exercise well and maintain a healthy body to avoid complications from diabetes.
All these honey-based remedies are natural and are a better alternative to allopathy medicines.
If the symptoms of diabetes show no sign of improvement then it is always best suggested to consult a diabetes specialist or a health specialist for expert guidance.