Bruises are very common and can happen to anyone at any age. Some people bruise often with not much impact to their body. Usually, bruises are nothing to be alarmed about. People who are healthy get to heal the bruises naturally within 2 weeks of time. But if you want to vanish the marks of bruises as well then use natural methods to get rid of bruises.
What are Bruises?
When you fall or bump into something or get a cut or blow, the blood vessels of that area get cracked under the skin and clog the blood, which is known as bruise or contusion. It can be painful or you can feel a slight pain in the affected area.
With the advancement of age, the skin becomes thinner and capillaries underneath the skin get more prone to breakage and swelling. That is why older people are more likely to get bruises than the young ones.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bruises
If the pain is unbearable due to bruises, then one might take OTC medications or use natural remedies which helps to provide relief from the pain. Bruises can be treated naturally at home by using some natural ingredients found in your kitchen. Let’s look into some of the natural remedies to get rid of bruises.
1. Herbal Tea Cold Compress
Cold tea compress is one of the effective remedies to get rid of the bruise. It helps in reducing swelling and soothes the affected area.
- Take 1 cup of hot water and add 1 tsp of dried chamomile and lavender flowers.
- Put the lid and allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
- Then strain it and refrigerate the solution.
- Take a cloth and soak it in this herbal solution, and use it as a cold compress.
- Repeat it several times in a day to heal wounds and bruises fast.
Arnica is a herb, which helps in reducing pain and inflammation. It also speeds up the healing process by increasing blood circulation to the affected area.
- Take some arnica gel in your fingers and rub it gently on your bruises.
- Or you can use arnica tincture. For that you need to dilute it with some amount of water.
- Apply this tincture or gel on your bruise for 2-3 times a day, till your bruises get dry or you notice a change in it.
- Take 1 tbsp of arnica tincture with equal quantity of witch hazel bark, St John’s wort and chamomile flowers in a bowl.
- Add 4 drops of lavender oil and 2 tbsp of cold water to it and mix well.
- Take a soft cloth.
- Dip this cloth in this mixture and place it on your bruises for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day for few days to heal your bruises and blood clot.
Note: Arnica should not be applied on the broken skin.
This green leafy vegetable is a good source of minerals and vitamins. Loaded with Vitamin K, it plays a vital role in reducing bruises and regulating blood clotting. You should add spinach in your daily diet. Boil it and just eat it every day.
- Take some spinach leaves and grind it to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your bruises and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Then wash it with water.
- This paste can be even applied under your
- Repeat this process 2 times a day for few days, till you completely treat the bruises on your skin.
[Also Read:How to Get Rid of Blemishes]
4. St. John’s Wort
St. John’s wort is anti-inflammatory in nature, which helps in healing the bruises. It also contains analgesic properties that help in providing relief from the pain.
- You can directly apply St. John’s wort oil on the affected area for 3-4 times in a day, till you find relief from your pain or the bruise gets dried up.
- Or you can take 2 tbsp of dried St. John’s wort and add 1 cup of hot water to it.
- Close the lid and steep it for 10-20 minutes.
- Drink it daily once for few days to get rid of bruises fast.
5. Ice Pack
Using ice packs regularly helps in reducing pain and swelling related to bruise. Ice helps preventing blood clots in the skin or tissues by constricting the blood vessels.
- Take few ice cubes and wrap it in a cloth.
- Place this ice pack on the affected area for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the cubes melt, change it with other cubes.
- This is a first aid for the bruise. You can follow this as soon as you get a bruise.
- Follow this process in every 2 hrs for the first 24 hours.
- A bag of frozen peas or vegetables can also be used in place of ice.
- This will help to reduce bruises in your body or bruise under your eyes.
- For children, dip a cloth in cold water and place it over the bruise as they might find it difficult to tolerate the cooling effect of ice.
- In this water, you can add few drops of lavender oil, which will give a soothing effect.
Note: Never apply ice directly on your bruise as it may result in frostbite.
6. Homemade Paste
This paste contains turmeric, onion, garlic and mustard oil, which are very beneficial in treating skin bruises. It helps in reducing the swelling and pain, and makes the bruise or minor cuts to heal faster.
- Take 3 tsp each of chopped onions, garlic paste and turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add 3 tbsp of mustard oil to it and mix it nicely.
- Warm this mixture for few seconds and then apply it to your bruise.
- Do this 2 times a day for few days, till you get rid of bruise, pain and swelling.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to reduce bruises on the body.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a bowl depending on your affected area.
- Dilute it with some water.
- Now take a soft cloth and dip it in this solution and put it on your bruise as a compress for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this several times a day and you will see a vast improvement in your bruise.
This remedy is very effective if you are suffering from pain and inflammation of bruise.
- In the same apple cider solution, put a piece of raw onion, or else you can roast an onion and put.
- Mix it well and apply this solution on your bruise.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash off.
- Do this daily 2 times a day for few days till you find relief from the pain and inflammation of bruise.
Note: Don’t apply apple cider vinegar on your broken skin as it may cause a burning sensation and irritation on your skin.
Comfrey is a very old herbal remedy used for centuries for minor cuts, bruises and sprains. This can be used as a cold tea compress initially, and later after 2-3 days, it can be used as a warm compress.
- Take 1 tbsp of dried comfrey leaves and place it in 1 ½ cup of boiling water.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes and then strain it.
- Allow it to become cool and then refrigerate it for 2 hrs.
- Then, take a cloth and soak it in this solution.
- Place the soaked cloth on your bruise or wounds for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process several times a day for 2 days, and then same process should be used warm.
- This cold compress and then warm compress will heal your bruise and wounds very fast.
[Also Read:Top 14 Home remedies for Brown Spots on Skin]
9. Essential Oils
You can use the essential oils to massage your bruised area after a couple of days. It helps in increasing the blood circulation to the affected area and removing the blood clots.
- Take 4 tsp of grape seed oil in a bowl.
- And add 5 drops of calendula oil, 2 drops of fennel oil, and 1 drop of cypress oil to it.
- Mix these oils and use it to massage gently on your dried bruises or internal bruise.
- Repeat this daily for 10-15 days to get complete relief from the internal pain and blood clots of bruises.
Process-2: Lavender Oil
- Take few drops of lavender oil and mix it with few drops of carrier oil, such as coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil or shea butter.
- Mix it well and apply this on your bruise and cover it with a bandage.
- Repeat this daily for few days and in no time your bruise will fade away.
Note: Don’t add too much lavender oil as it may cause a burning sensation.
Parsley is a wonderful herb, which helps in decreasing the inflammation and pain and helps the bruises to disappear quickly.
- Take some parsley leaves and make a paste of it by crushing them.
- Now, apply this paste on your bruised area and keep it for 15 minutes.
- Or after applying the paste you can wrap your affected area with an elastic bandage.
- Repeat this process daily once for few days, till you get rid of pain and inflammation of bruise.
Tips to Reduce Bruises and Bumps Fast
Further tips if followed regularly, will help in reducing your skin bruises and bumps in a very short period of time.
- Eat pineapples or drink pineapple juices daily as pineapple contains ‘bromelain’, which helps in healing bruises quickly.
- Take plenty of citrus fruits as Vitamin C helps in fighting the inflammation, thus reduces bruises and wounds.
- Deficiency of Vitamin K also delays the process of healing, so take plenty of Vitamins K rich foods to quicken up the healing process.
- Applying fresh potato slices on your bruises also helps in reducing it.
- Get some direct sunlight on your bruise, which helps to break up your bruise. But, avoid exposure of sun for more than 15 minutes as it can cause tanning and sunburn.
- Toothpaste can be applied on burned bruises. It gives a soothing relief by reducing the burning sensation.
- Take rest as your body heals faster while asleep.
- Always elevate the bruised area. Suppose you have a bruise on your leg, then keep your affected leg on a pillow.
- You can apply some make up, like foundation or compact to cover your bruise
- Apply aloe vera gel on your bruise as it reduces pain and swelling of
- If you want to remove bruise mark, then apply some bilberry extract and consume lots of Vitamin C.
- Take a warm bath by using some witch hazel as it will help in healing your bruise faster.
- Chew few pods of garlic daily as it is antibiotic in nature, thus helps in curing the bruises quickly.
All these wonderful remedies and tips will help your bruise to recover faster. So, don’t ignore it, but keep following them earnestly as they will help to get rid of your bruises naturally. If, even after following these natural remedies you don’t find any relief, then visit your doctor to find out the underlying cause of it.