Daniel, 23, noticed that a dark spot was slowly developing in the left part of his face and it had almost covered his cheek. He was driving to work every morning and the sun used to fall on the left part of his face, but he didn’t bother about it. But in one fine morning, he got surprised when he saw that dark spot on his face. He was worried and was just thinking – how to get rid of dark spots?
Linda, 31, also noticed dark spots on her skin soon after she got pregnant. She was just thinking that people say the skin glows during pregnancy. However, she developed dark spots on her cheekbones, sides of the nose, corners of the mouth, chin, and neck. She could not use any chemical medication because of her pregnancy. So she wanted some natural remedies to get rid of dark spots.
Daniel and Linda are experiencing two different kinds of dark spots. Each kind has a different reason and symptoms.
Like Daniel have you found some dark spots on your face or skin? Are you wondering how to get rid of dark spots without damaging your skin? Then, read to know more about the dark spots.
What Are Dark Spots?
Dark spots are the brown spots that you can generally see the face, back, neck, chest, shoulders, and hands. They appear due to the excess secretion of melanin in certain areas of the skin making them look darker than the rest of the skin.
Causes of Dark Spots
You can get dark spots on your skin due to a myriad of reasons which can be –
- Over exposure to the sun rays
- Hormonal imbalance or shifts
- Polycystic Ovarian Disorder
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Lack of proper skin care
- Vitamin C or B12 deficiency
- Diabetes or insulin resistance
- Certain medications
- Genetic disorders
Types of Dark Spots
There are various types of dark spots you can find on the skin. Let’s have a look at it.
Dark Spots Caused by Sun Exposure
One of the most common reasons for dark spots is exposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun. UV light stimulates the melanin cells in the skin and darkens them. Long term exposure to the UV rays can accelerate skin aging and increase your risk of getting skin cancer.
Dark Spots Caused by Hormonal Fluctuations
This is another common type of dark spots that is seen particularly in women. At times of hormonal upheavals like pregnancy, menopause, and PCOD, the excess production of melanin cells causes dark spots. Women who are on hormone therapy treatments or oral contraceptives may also notice dark spots. Exposure to the sun further aggravates this condition, which is known as Melasma.
Dark Spots Caused by Poor Dietary and Skin Care Habits
Sometimes, dark spots are caused due to poor dietary habits, stress, and smoking. Vitamin C and vitamin B12 deficiency can also contribute to dark spots. Having a balanced diet with green leafy vegetables can minimize the appearance of dark spots on your skin.
A well-hydrated and moisturized skin, which is protected with a good broad spectrum sunscreen or sun block, is less prone to dark spots. Use of certain medications also results in the appearance of dark spots.
Dark Spots Caused by Aging
Dark spots show up as you age. 90% of people over the age of 60 have them. Age spots also appear in people who have spent years in prolonged sun exposure. The melanin cells get clustered and eventually make brown spots visible.
Dark Spots Caused by Underlying Medical Conditions
Many people suffer from dark spots due to certain underlying medical conditions like diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, genetic disorders, dermatitis and in rare cases, cancer.
How to Get Rid of Dark Spots?
Lemon acts as a natural bleach for the skin. It is a well-known folk remedy for skin brightening and lightening. The citric acid and the Vitamin C can help lighten the dark spots. However, you should take adequate care in applying lemon juice to your dark spots. Some people end up having a severe reaction when exposed to lemon juice and UV rays of the sun. It is called phytophoto dermatitis.
- Apply lemon juice directly to your dark spots with the help of a cotton swab. Lemon juice is quite acidic and if you have a sensitive skin, you can dilute it with cucumber juice or rose water. Leave it for 10 minutes and wash thoroughly. Repeat at least 3 times a week for best results.
- Combine a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice and apply it on your dark spots for 30 minutes. Wash thoroughly and pat dry. Repeat at least 3-4 times a week for best results.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder into the juice of half a lemon and apply the paste to your dark spots. This mixture helps fade your sun tan and your dark spots. You can also apply this paste on your knees, elbows and neck.
- Dissolve a teaspoon of sugar in the juice of one lemon and apply it to your dark spots. The glycolic acid in sugar is a natural chemical peel that can fade the dark spots naturally. Sugar also exfoliates the dead skin cells naturally and lightens the dark spots. You can also use a sugar cube, dip one side into some lemon juice and rub it on your dark spots in a circular motion gently exfoliating the dead skin.
- Add a teaspoon of tomato juice to a teaspoon of lemon juice to get rid of pigmentation, dark spots, freckles, tan, and discoloration.
- Mixing 1 tsp of lemon juice with a pinch of turmeric and a tbsp of milk could also be applied to lighten the appearance of dark spots.
Potato also works as a natural bleaching agent that helps fade the dark spots.
- Slice a potato and apply the slice directly on your dark spots. You can rub that slice gently on your skin allowing the juice to squeeze out and penetrate into your skin.
- Remove the skin of a small potato and grate it. Add a teaspoon of honey to the grated potato and apply it on your skin.
- Extract the juice of one small potato, add a teaspoon of lemon juice to it and apply it to your dark spots.
- Adding a teaspoon of tomato juice to a teaspoon of potato juice can also help reduce your dark spots.
- Repeat these remedies at least 3-4 times a week for better results.
Milk is an amazing remedy for reducing dark spots. Milk contains lactic acid that works to reduce pigmentation and dark spots. It also improves your complexion and helps you get rid of sunburn effectively.
- Soak a cotton ball in milk and dab it directly on your dark spots. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash it off. You can repeat this procedure twice every day for 4-5 weeks.
- You can also mix a teaspoon of honey with a teaspoon of milk and apply it to your dark spots. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash thoroughly. Repeat this procedure every day for best results.
- Add a couple of strawberries into a blender. Pour 2 tsp of milk and blend it. Apply this strawberry milk onto your skin and leave it to dry for 20 minutes. Wash with cool water. Strawberry is also a skin lightening agent that improves complexion and reduces pigmentation.
- Saffron with milk works well for skin lightening and tan removal. Soak 2 strands of saffron into 2 tbsp of milk overnight and apply this milk to your dark spots. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off. Repeat daily for best results.
Buttermilk is the liquid that is left after the butter is churned and extracted from the cream. It is a little sour compared to milk and a common ingredient used for baking. Buttermilk is also a natural skin bleach like lemon juice. Buttermilk is rich in lactic acid which helps get rid of dark spots with regular and consistent use.
- Soak a cotton ball in buttermilk and dab it directly on your dark spots. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash it off. Repeat this process every day until the dark spots reduce.
- Add a teaspoon of tomato juice to 2 teaspoons of buttermilk and apply the mix onto your dark spots. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash it thoroughly. Repeat this procedure at least 3-4 times a week for best results.
Yogurt again is a natural bleaching agent with high lactic acid content. It also works as a very good moisturizer for the skin.
- Apply plain yogurt to your skin and leave it on for an hour. Wash it with cool water. Repeat daily for best results.
- Take 1 tbsp of yogurt, add 2 tbsp of oatmeal and 1 tsp of lemon juice. Mix well and apply to your dark spots. Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash it off with cool water.
- Take 1 tbsp of yogurt, add to it a tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of tomato juice. Mix well and apply it to your skin. Leave it on for 30 minutes until dry and wash it off thoroughly with cool water. This pack works wonders in treating your dark spots.
- Mix 1 tbsp of yogurt with 1 tbsp of fresh orange juice and apply it on your dark spots. Leave it on for 30 minutes before washing it off. The orange juice is rich in collagen, which slows down aging and reduces the visibility of dark spots.
Fresh Fruits and Honey
Papaya fruit is rich in enzymes that help reduce dark spots. Extract half a cup of ripe papaya pulp and add a tablespoon of honey to it and mix well. Apply this mix all over your dark spots. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off. Repeat at least 2-3 times weekly for best results.
Pineapple is rich in Vitamin C which helps reduce dark spots. Extract half a cup of pineapple paste and add a tbsp of honey to it and mix well. Apply this mix all over your dark spots. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off. Repeat at least 2-3 times weekly for better results.
Watermelon is also rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C. Extract half a cup of watermelon pulp and adds a tbsp of honey to it and mix well. Apply this mix all over your dark spots. Leave it on for 15 minutes before washing it off. Repeat at least 2-3 times a week for good results.
White Vinegar and Olive Oil
White vinegar is an effective remedy for getting rid of suntan and dark spots. Mix a teaspoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of olive oil and apply it onto your dark spots. Leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
Apple cider vinegar has excellent medicinal and cosmetic properties and it also helps minimize sun damage and reduce dark spots. Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a teaspoon of honey. Leave it on for 15 minutes before you rinse it with water.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Orange Juice
Mix a tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 2 tbsp of fresh orange juice and apply it onto your dark spots. Leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing with water. Repeat daily for a couple of weeks.
Vinegar, Horseradish, and Honey
Horseradish is also a great remedy for dark spots and pigmentation. When mixed with vinegar and honey it becomes more effective. Make a paste of a few slices of horseradish; add to it a tsp of vinegar and a tsp of honey. Mix well and apply it onto your skin for 15 minutes and rinse. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
10. Onion and Garlic
Garlic and onions may have a strong flavor but they are quite effective in reducing pigmentation in the skin.
- Extract the juice of one red onion and dab it onto your dark spots. Leave it to dry for 20 minutes and wash until the smell of onion disappears.
- Make a paste of a few cloves of garlic and apply it onto the pigmented areas. Leave it on for 30 minutes before you rinse it off.
- You can mix the juice of onion with the paste of garlic for good results.
Any oil that is rich in Vitamin E like coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil or argan oil can be used at bedtime to moisturize the skin and reduce the dark spots. You can also mix a tsp of any of these oils with a teaspoon of castor oil and apply it onto your dark spots. Repeat this procedure for a few weeks until you see desired results.
12. Green Tea Extracts
Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants, which can help a great deal in reducing sun damage. In addition to daily consumption, apply the used green tea bag all over your dark spots. Allow it to work for 15-20 minutes and rinse dry.
[Also Read: How Green Tea Helps To Get Rid of Acne]
13. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel soothes sun damage and reduces dark spots if used daily. Apply the aloe vera gel to the dark spots every day and see a remarkable difference in your skin.
Have you tried any other remedy apart from these which worked wonders for you? If yes, then share your experiences with us.