We all desire to get a flawless fair skin. Don’t we, but sometimes due to overexposure of the skin to the sun’s harmful UV rays, it gets small brown spots. These little brown spots, which can sometimes be dark, are known as freckles. These spots vary from person to person.
Usually, light skinned people or people with golden brownish hair are more likely to get freckles. Though freckles are not harmful or pose any health threat, still there is a need to get rid of freckles soon as in some cases freckles can lead to skin cancer.
What are Freckles?
Freckles are those little brown spots, which you can find all around the face and arms. It happens when the pigment-producing cells, known as melanocytes get damaged by sun exposure and due to that, our skin starts producing an aberrant collection of melanin, which is known as freckles.
We all know that the main culprit behind these freckles is the sun, but sometimes the cause can be genetic, which cannot be prevented.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Freckles
There are various ways to remove freckles like laser treatment, cryosurgery, chemical peels, retinoid etc, but there is no guarantee that even after undergoing these treatments you will be set free from freckles. Moreover, they are very costly, not safe and can harm your skin.
So, if you want to get rid of these freckles fast in a natural way and without spending extra money or compromising on your skin, then you can try some of the home remedies for treating your freckles.
1. Banana and Mint
Banana and mint both are tremendously useful for treating several skin problems including freckles. Banana is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and so many other useful nutrients. It is loaded with ‘salicylic acid’, which helps in shedding the epidermal layer of the skin, and removes the dead skins cells, thus gives you a beautiful and flawless skin.
Mint helps in lightening the skin complexion, thus fades away the freckles. It is full of antioxidants and vitamins, especially Vitamin B and folate, which work together to remove the freckles and provide a radiant skin.
Here is how to get rid of freckles using banana and mint face pack.
Process: Face Pack
- Take a ripe banana and mash it.
- Now, take few fresh mint leaves and grind them to make a paste.
- Add the mint paste to the mashed banana and mix well.
- Apply this paste on your face as a mask by covering up all the spots.
- Let this mask remain on your face for some time.
- Then wash your face.
- Apply this face mask 2 times in a week to remove
Honey is used almost in treating all the health problems. It acts as a natural moisturizer and humectants to the skin, which helps in giving a clear and glowing skin. The enzymes present in the honey works by lightening up the skin pigmentation, which helps in fading the freckles.
Know more on how to get rid of freckles using different application process of honey.
- Take water in a bowl, and add few drops of honey to it.
- Mix it well and warm this mixture.
- Now, apply this on your face and arms or wherever you have freckles.
- Leave it until it gets dry and then wash it with lukewarm water.
- Continue this process daily for few months, till you get rid of the freckles
Process-2: Honey with Blackcurrant
- Take some blackcurrant extract or juice in a bowl.
- Mix it with 2 tsp of honey, and apply this mixture all over your face or affected areas.
- Rinse it once it gets dry.
- Follow this method regularly to clear the freckles from your skin.
Process-3: Honey with Wheat germ
- Take 1 tbsp of wheat germ powder and mix it with 2 tsp of warm honey to make a paste.
- Apply this herbal paste on your face and hands.
- Leave this paste for 15 minutes and once it is dry, wash it with slightly warm water.
- After that wash it again with cold water to close the pores of the skin.
- Follow this 2-3 times in a week for few months to treat freckles.
Process-4: Honey with Papaya and Yogurt
- Take 1-2 tbsp of fresh mashed papaya and 1 tbsp of yogurt in a bowl.
- Add 2 tsp of honey to it and mix well.
- Now, apply this paste on your face and hand covering all your freckles.
- Leave it for about 25-30 minutes, and then wash off.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times in a week till you get a positive result.
- This remedy aids in lightening up the freckles and also gives a smooth skin.
[Also Read:Honey For Acne]
3. Cassia Fistula Root
Cassia Fistula offers a powerful herbal remedy for treating freckles. It is a useful herb, which contains anthraquinone, rhein, volatile oil and tannin. It is used in Ayurvedic medicines for treating skin problems.
Process: Cassia Fistula Root
- Take a cleaned cassia fistula root.
- Grind the root along with 2 tbsp of milk to make a paste.
- Now, apply this paste on your affected parts.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes till it dries properly.
- Wash with cool water.
- Repeat this weekly for few weeks, till you get rid of the freckles on the skin.
Lemon is citric in nature and contains bleaching property, which helps in removing the dark spots, blemishes or freckles.
Process 1: Lemon, Honey, and Salt
- Take 1 tbsp each of lemon juice and honey in a bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt to it and stir it nicely.
- Apply this mixture on your face or any other affected parts.
- Let it settle for 20 minutes, and then rinse your face with water.
- Using this mask regularly will help in getting rid of the freckles and any other spots on your skin.
Process-2: Lemon with Yogurt
- Take 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice and mix it with an equal quantity of yogurt or water.
- Mix it well, and apply it on your face, or freckles affected area.
- Once your face is dry, then clean it with water and pat dry.
- This can make your skin dry, so apply some mild moisturizer on your face to prevent dryness.
- After using this mixture, restrict yourself from going out in the sun for 30-60 minutes.
- You can use this process weekly twice or thrice depending on the intensity of the freckles on your skin.
Process-3: Lemon Scrub
- Take a half cut lemon and sprinkle ½ tsp of sugar on the top of it.
- Now, scrub your freckle-affected area gently by using this lemon for about 3-5 minutes.
- Then, wash off with water.
- Being natural bleach, this will help in removing the dead skin cells by reducing the freckles.
- Usage of this scrub 2-3 times in a week will fade away the freckles.
5. Fruit Mask
Isn’t it a great idea to combine certain fruits and make a mask, which will be best in removing freckles?
Let’s try some juicy fruits together and see what happens?
- You need 2 strawberries or apricots, 3 inches each of papaya and pineapple and 2 slices of peeled cucumber.
- Blend all the ingredients together to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face or wherever you find freckles.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and after that wash with cool water.
- Each fruit included in this mask has distinct qualities in clearing out the freckles.
- Apply this fruit mask 2-3 times in a week for few months, and very soon you will notice your freckles getting disappeared.
6. Sesame Seeds and Turmeric
Sesame seeds are very effective in treating dark brown spots. Combining it with turmeric doubles the effectiveness and both helps to get rid of dark freckles and promotes a lighter skin.
Here is how to get rid of freckles using a simple sesame seeds and turmeric home remedy.
- Take 1 tbsp of sesame seeds and 1 tsp of turmeric powder, and grind them with some water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this on your freckles, and let it dry completely.
- Rinse it with cold water after 20 minutes.
- By using this remedy on a regular basis will fade away all your freckles soon from your skin.
7. Organic Castor Oil
Organic castor oil is another wonderful remedy for treating freckles naturally. Using organic castor oil frequently gives a clearer freckle-free skin.
- In a bowl, take 2 tbsp of organic cold pressed castor oil.
- You can even mix few drops of olive oil or Vitamin E oil with the castor oil to get rid of freckles.
- Apply this mixed oil on your freckles at night while going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and then in the morning wipe off the oil by using a soft tissue.
- After that, you can wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Follow this process daily for several weeks, till you get rid of these freckles.
[Also Read:How To Get Even Skin Tone Naturally]
Horseradish is an old remedy for treating various medical disorders including flaws and freckles. It consists of high amount of Vitamin C, which reduces the spots and freckles by stopping the melanin pigment to form on your skin layer.
You can directly apply horseradish juice on your affected areas or can mix with other ingredients for further benefits.
Process 1: Horseradish with Lemon
- Take some horseradish and grate it.
- Also take 1-2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Mix both the ingredients and apply this paste on your face and hands.
- Leave it for some time and once it dries completely, then wash it with cold water.
- Continue this process every alternate day to get rid of freckles on face and hand.
Process-2: Horseradish with Milk
- Take 1 tbsp of powdered horseradish.
- Boil 1 cup of milk in a pan and add the powder to it.
- Stir occasionally and after 5-10 minutes turn off the stove.
- Once it is cooled naturally, then strain the solution and apply it all over your freckles.
- Leave it for about 10-20 minutes and then wash.
- Follow this every day or thrice in a week to get a flawless skin without any freckles.
Tips to Remove Freckles Completely
We are providing you with some extra tips, which will help you to get rid of freckles. But to achieve a flawless skin, you also need to be active in following all the tips regularly and without fail.
- Avoid going in the sun, especially between 10 am to 4 pm.
- Always apply sunscreen lotion with a high amount of SPF (between 30 to 50) while going in the day time.
- Eat a lot of citrus fruits or foods rich in Vitamin C like oranges, papaya etc, which helps the skin to become less sensitive towards the sun rays.
- Protect your skin, especially cover your face with a scarf while going out in the sun.
- Applying yellow mustard paste with milk on freckles also helps in reducing
- Consume foods rich in Vitamin B and folate like eggs, wheat germ, cabbage etc, as they also help in clearing away the freckles and prevent dryness.
- Water plays an incredible role in reducing freckles as it removes the unwanted toxins from your body and keeps your skin hydrated.
- Use mild face wash to wash your face, as soaps or face washes with too many chemicals can spoil your skin.
- Buy some best concealers for hiding freckles, and whenever you go out, use make-up which can cover the freckles.
These remedies and tips will surely help you to get rid of the freckles. By following them regularly, you will achieve your desired goal of having a spotless radiant skin.
Do consult a dermatologist if you don’t find any reduction in your freckles, even after trying these remedies vigorously.