According to the Department of Health and Human Services, USA, spider and varicose veins affect around 25 % of women and 10 % of men. Spider veins are very common today and thus it is important that you should know how to get rid of spider veins at home.
People, generally get spider veins on legs and feet, but some people get spider veins on thighs, nose, stomach and ankles. Some people even get red spider veins on the face.
Are you one among those men or women who are affected by spider veins, and want to try every possible way to get rid of spider veins but without undergoing any costly treatment or laser therapy? Then read on to know more about it and the possible natural ways to treat it.
What Are Spider Veins?
Red, blue or purple veins that appear on the face, nose, legs, knees, thighs, stomach and ankles are known as spider veins. These are also known as ‘Telangiectasia’. These veins are called spider veins because it looks like a spider’s web.
These veins are smaller, stretched superficial blood vessels, which are close to the skin. Spider veins can appear anywhere in the body, but it mostly appear behind the knees. Varicose veins are more or less similar to spider veins, but they are larger and swollen vessels with twists and turns.
What Causes Spider Vein?
The exact reason of getting spider vein is still unknown, but there are some factors that can cause spider veins. They are:
- Hereditary and aging are the most common causes of spider veins
- Use of birth control pills
- Trauma or injury
- Standing too much or sitting in a wrong position
- History of blood clots, puberty, menopause, pregnancy, etc.
Symptoms of Spider Vein
Besides red or blue patches in the skin, some other symptoms of spider veins are:
- Swelling, itching and cramping
- Weak legs or knees
- A feeling of heaviness or tiredness
- Throbbing pain or tingling sensation
8 Excellent Remedies to Get Rid of Spider Veins
There are various expensive cosmetic treatments like laser therapy, sclerotherapy, etc, to treat spider veins, but there is no guarantee that spider veins will not come back again. So, why to go through such painful surgeries and spend a hefty amount of money? Why not trying some home remedies, which are safe, simple and effective in treating spider veins?
Let’s try some of the easy remedies at home to find a permanent solution for spider veins.
1. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth, also known as ‘bleaching clay’, has been widely used for treating various skin ailments. Due to its absorbent properties, it acts as a good cleanser and toner along with providing a cooling effect to the skin. It is rich in calcium and is a natural treatment for spider veins. It helps in giving relief from swollen or bloated veins.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of fuller’s earth or you can take it depending upon the affected area.
- Add sufficient water to get a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on your face, stomach, legs or wherever you have spider veins.
- Use this paste at night. Once it is dried, go to bed and wash it the next day morning.
- You can use this remedy daily or every alternate day to get rid of spider veins.
With soothing and healing properties, comfrey is considered as one of the effective herbal remedies in treating spider and varicose veins. It also boosts up the immune system and helps in promoting good metabolism of your body and keeps all factors at bay that cause spider veins.
- Take few comfrey leaves.
- Boil the leaves in a glass of water for 10-15 minutes to make a thick decoction.
- Strain it and apply this solution to the affected parts when lukewarm.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes and then wash the affected area.
- Repeat this 3-4 times in a week for few weeks or till the spider veins are removed.
- Take some comfrey leaves.
- Dry the leaves and then grind it to make a powder.
- Take 1 tbsp of this powder and add some water to it to make a thick paste.
- Now, apply this paste on the spider veins and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it once it is completely dried.
- Follow this remedy daily to reduce your swelling and itching of spider veins.
This beautiful flower contains flavonoids and Vitamin C, which arouses the production of collagen. The use of marigold helps to reproduce new cells as well as repair damaged cells. It also helps in improving the blood circulation, reducing swelling, and alleviating other discomforts caused by spider veins.
- Take the petals of 5-10 marigold flowers.
- Boil the petals in ½ liter of water for 5-8 minutes and allow it to become warm.
- Now, take a cotton ball and dip it in this solution and apply it all over the affected parts.
- After 20 minutes wipe it with a tissue. You can even wash it with water.
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times in a day for about 3-5 months till to remove spider veins naturally.
- You can also chew some fresh marigold petals every morning to get rid of painful spider veins.
4. Carrot and Spinach
Sometimes Vitamin C deficiency causes spider and varicose veins. Carrot and spinach contain Vitamin C, bioflavonoids and a lot of fibers, which play a crucial role in providing strength to the collagen structure of the veins.
Due to lack of strength, the veins become weak. The pressure of blood gets build up in these veins, which leads to varicose and spider veins.
Process: Carrot and Spinach Juice
- This juice should be prepared in 3:2 ratios.
- Take 300 ml of carrot juice and 200 ml of spinach juice.
- Mix them and drink this juice every day in removing spider and varicose veins in legs.
5. Essential Oils
The use of some of the essential oils helps in reducing the appearance of spider veins, even from your nose and face. Here we are going to use carrot oil, spinach oil and jojoba oil to get rid of spider veins on legs, stomach, and ankles.
Carrot essential oil helps in stimulating the growth of new tissues and cells. It helps in relieving muscle cramps and increases blood circulation and metabolic function of the body.
Spinach essential oil is useful for proper functioning of the veins. It soothes your blood vessels by relieving stress from your cardiovascular system. It also stimulates oxygen circulation in the veins.
Both the oils are loaded with antioxidant, antiseptic, astringent, carminative, laxative properties.
- Take 1 tsp each of carrot and spinach essential oil.
- Add 20 tsp of jojoba oil and mix all these oils in a bottle.
- Shake the bottle properly.
- Now, you can use this oil every time by soaking a cotton ball in this oil and applying it to the affected areas.
- After application, leave this oil for 30-40 minutes and then wash with water.
- Follow this remedy 2 times in a day for few months and you will notice a difference in your spider veins before using this oil and after using this oil.
- You can store this oil in a cool and dry place for a month.
6. Chamomile Powder
Chamomile contains natural healing and soothing properties that helps in controlling the itching and swelling of the veins. It also helps to reduce other symptoms of spider veins, thus deals with the issue effectively.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of chamomile powder or depending on the affected area.
- If you can find fresh leaves, then dry it and grind these leaves to make a powder.
- Make a thin paste by mixing it with water.
- Now, apply this paste wherever you have spider veins.
- This paste can also be used to remove spider veins on the face.
- Applying this paste daily will help in achieving the results faster.
Bilberry, a purple blue berry, but not blueberry, is often used in treating inflammation of the veins and poor blood circulation. This fruit has a property to improve blood circulation, which is a very effective way for treating spider veins.
Bilberry contains antioxidant properties, which protects the veins from getting damaged. Besides that it also contains many other components like tannins, phenolic acids and proanthocyanidins, which provide strength to the capillary walls and the connective tissues that are surrounded by your veins.
Process: Bilberry Extract
- Take 20-40 mg of bilberry extract for up to 4 weeks, 3 times a day.
- Get bilberry extract that has 20-40 mg of bilberry and 25% of anthocyanidin.
- Don’t take bilberry and pine extracts together. Take any one.
- This remedy will provide strength to your blood vessels and treat spider veins
Caution: Don’t continue this remedy for more than 6 weeks. If you are already taking some anti-inflammatory drugs, then don’t take this.
Diabetic patients should consult their doctor before taking this extract as it can lower the blood sugar level.
Parsley is another good source of Vitamin C. It acts as a powerful antioxidant, which increases the production of collagen and repairs the damaged cells. It contains an important element called ‘rutin’, which strengthens the capillaries, therefore, helps in reducing the symptoms of varicose veins.
- Take some fresh parsley leaves and boil in a cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Let the solution gets cooled naturally.
- Strain the solution and add 1 drop each of rose and marigold essential oil to it and mix it well.
- Keep this solution in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Now, use this solution daily for your spider veins or varicose veins.
- You can leave the solution overnight and wash it in the morning.
- Apply this solution for several months till you get rid of this problem.
- Also, chew some fresh parsley leaves daily to treat spider veins.
Tips to Eliminate Spider Veins
Further tips will help in removing spider veins from every part of your body. Some of them will also help in preventing spider veins occurring in future.
- Go for cycling, swimming, jogging regularly to improve blood circulation to your legs and to avoid frequent cramping. Also, do some exercises to tone your legs and strengthen your calf muscles.
- Avoid eating too much salt as it causes spider veins.
- Avoid wearing heels, as it can stress out your weak muscles making your legs more painful.
- Avoid sitting crossed legs or standing for too long as both put pressure on your veins, which can increase swelling.
- Take a diet high in fiber content. Include lots of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet to restrict the occurrence of spider veins and varicose veins.
- Too much consumption of alcohol dilates the blood vessels, so better avoid it if you are already suffering from this issue.
- If you are obese, then you need to shed your weight as it can make your problem worse.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitted clothes as they decrease blood circulation, which cause spider veins.
After following these home remedies and tips regularly, you will definitely get rid of spider veins. So, don’t lose hope, rather regain your confidence that you can do it. Yes, you can do it and can be free from this web trap.