Water weight is nothing but the water retained by the body. The most common cause of water retention in the body is because of excess intake of sodium, which makes the body retain the extra fluids in the cells. It is easy to lose water weight and you can do it using simple remedies.
One can easily differentiate between the weight gain due to water retention and weight gain due to fat accumulation in the body.The weight one gains instantly like half a pound or more overnight simply means the body is retaining water because technically it is impossible for one to gain 1 to 3 pounds overnight.
For tracking weight gain whether it is fat gain or water weight one can monitor the weight gain every day and should compare the weight to the previous day’s weight as well.Once they figure out about the difference between water weight and the normal weight of the body, the next concern that most people have is how to lose water weight fast.
Causes of Water Weight Gain:
Fluid retention or water weight gain is a more common issue amongst women than men as fluid retention is sometimes related to hormonal fluctuations. Sometimes the underlying causes of water weight gain are even contributed by stress and irregular sleeping patterns, which make the body, release a specific hormone called cortisol in the body. This eventually makes the body retain the fluids that cause temporary water weight gain.
Almost 60% of our body weight is because of the water which makes people look puffy. Water retention capacity of the body varies from person to person. It also depends upon the everyday lifestyle routine of an individual.
Some of the common causes of fluid retention or increase in water weight are listed below:
- Hormonal changes
- Hot environmental condition
- Excessive intake of table salt
- High sugar diet
- Excessive Alcohol consumption
- Excessive dieting
- Starchy foods
- Monthly periods in women
- Certain medication like contraceptives, kidney and heart medications
- Dietary deficiency
Symptoms of Water Weight Gain
Some of the common symptoms of water weight gain are listed below:
- Swelling in the feet, ankles and hands
- Stiffness in joints
- Rapid weight gain
- Weight fluctuation
- Body pain
- Skin remains indent when pressed for few seconds
Home Remedies to Lose Water Weight Fast
Trying hard to know how to lose water weight fast? Tried every possible and quick diet solutions but in vein? Then try and switch to easy and simple home remedies, which will help in reducing water weight of the body for fast. Losing water weight will also result in weight loss.
Home remedies are probably the best alternatives to either lose normal weight or the water weight and without any harmful side effects. One can easily lose up to 3 pounds overnight by trying these home remedies in a healthier manner.
Parsley is an effective herb for people looking for a temporary weight loss. This herb helps the body to lose water weight faster. Parsley is rich in nutrients and vitamins like potassium and Vitamin A and C, folate, calcium, and phosphorus.
It also contains a flavonoid known as quercetin. According to the University Of Maryland Medical Center, quercetin’s antioxidant properties in parsley is beneficial in lowering the cholesterol level and helps in regulating the high blood pressure. This potent herb is effective in preventing any kind of heart diseases and even certain cancers to occur. One of the other benefits of parsley is its anti-allergic property, which to a certain extent helps in relieving the symptoms of various allergies.
Things we need:
- Dried parsley- 1tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Take 1cup water and bring it to boil.
- Then add 2 tsp of dried parsley to the water and stir.
- Simmer the parsley in water for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Strain the tea and consume it warm.
- This process can be repeated three times a day till the desired weight loss is achieved.
- One can even use parsley tea bags instead of the dried parsley herb.
[Also Read:Remedies For Excess Skin After Weight Loss]
2. Indian Rose
Since ancient times, fragrant Indian roses were used in many natural skin care remedies and today it is also included in many food preparations as it contains numerous health benefits.
The petals of Indian rose have antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, which cure acne and clear the blemishes when applied on the skin. Apart from that the rose petals when consumed internally help in getting rid of toxins from the body as they have laxative and diuretic properties.
It thus, aids in improving the metabolism and digestion process for successful weight loss.
Things we need:
- Fresh Indian rose petals – 10 to 15
- Water – 1 glass
- Cinnamon powder – A pinch
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Boil a glass of water.
- Take 1 glass of water in a pan and boil it in low flame.
- Add 10 – 15 Indian fresh rose petals to the boiling water.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes till the water becomes pinkish brown.
- To this rose petal-infused water, add a pinch of cinnamon powder which helps in improving the digestion and burning fat.
- One can even add a 1 tsp of honey for taste.
- Consume this natural rose petal-infused tea thrice a day till the desired weight loss results are achieved.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in vitamins, propionic acids and enzyme, which helps in increasing the metabolism. It in turn speeds up the fat burning process and gives a perfect answer to your question how do I lose water weight.
Apple cider vinegar even has high levels of potassium and fibres that help in reducing water retention hydrate the body and maintain a healthy body weight.
Things we need:
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Take 2 tsp of good quality apple cider vinegar
- Mix the vinegar in a cup of water and intake this vinegar solution before meals.
- This process can be repeated 3 times a day and continued till ideal weight loss target is achieved.
Since ages Ayurveda has been recommending barley for treating water weight gain effectively.
Barley’s mild diuretic properties are safe for consumption for water weight gain issues even for pregnant women as it helps in relieving swollen legs due to the hormonal changes during the different stages of pregnancy.
Things we need:
- Water – 5 to 6 cups
- Whole grain barley – ¼ cup
- Lemon juice – 2 to 4 tsp
- Take 5 to 6 cups of water in a pan and bring the water to a boil.
- Add properly washed barley grains into the boiling water.
- Let the barley boil in the water till 15 to 20 minutes until cooked.
- Strain the barley from the water.
- Add 2 to 4 tsp of lemon juice as per taste to the barley water.
- Consume the barley water warm.
- This process can be repeated thrice a week to lose water weight fast.
Cabbage offers one of the best ways to lose water weight. Cabbage contains diuretic properties and minerals that help in releasing sodium deposits in the body, which is the main reason for gaining water weight.
In a way, consumption of cabbage decreases and maintains the speed of water absorption in the body. Cabbage even consists of a chemical called tartaric acid, which inhibits the conversion of sugar and carbohydrates into fat, thus its consumption controls weight gain effectively.
Things we need:
- Chopped cabbage- 1 cup
- Water- ¼ cup
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Chop 1 cup of cabbage.
- Put it in a juicer and add ¼ cup of water and churn it well.
- You can strain the cabbage fibres from the juice or can consume the juice along with the fibre for gaining additional benefits of fibre as well.
- One can even add 1 tsp of honey for making the pungent cabbage juice more palatable.
- This process can be repeated for three days or for a week for water weight loss
6. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are known for its medicinal properties, which inhibit indigestion and bloating. Traditionally fennel extracts were used for diuretic properties for eliminating water retention in the body. Its properties are capable of reducing blood pressure level, which is a result of increased release of sodium and water level in kidneys.
Things we need:
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Add 1/4 tsp fennel seeds in a cup.
- Then add boiling water over the fennel seeds and cover the cup.
- Let the fennel seeds be in the hot boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes to release its extracts.
- Later strain the fennel seeds and intake the tea. One can also consume the fennel seeds for digestive benefits.
- This process can be repeated thrice a day for a week for easy water weight loss.
Tomato juice is a much healthier alternative to empty calorie beverages, which have no health benefits in them than just giving a sugar rush.
Tomatoes are a good source of calcium, Vitamin C and iron. Adding tomatoes to your daily diet, salads and juices is a simple and yet another effective home remedy to lose water weight.
Things we need:
- Medium sized tomato – 1
- Watermelon – 1 large wedge
- Large orange- 1
- Lemon juice- ½ tsp
- Honey- 1tsp
- Deseed and peel the fruits.
- Process the fruits and tomatoes in a juicer.
- Strain the fibres from the juice or consume the juice with the fibres on an empty stomach.
- The extra dose of healthy fibres will help in keeping one full for longer, which will help in lesser hunger pangs.
- One can add lemon juice or honey as per taste.
- This process can be repeated for three weeks for a healthy water weight loss.
8. Cardio Exercises and Sit-ups
Any exercise that increases your heart rate and warms up your body is the best way to lose water weight. When you do cardio exercises like brisk walking, jogging on the treadmill or hot yoga etc., it induces excessive sweating, which help in reducing the water weight overnight.
Hence, it is always recommended to do cardio exercises twice a day, as it speeds up your water weight reduction process.
While working out to decrease the water weight from the body, watch out your standing and sitting posture. Stand straight and keep your spine erect all the time, as it streamlines water flow to all parts of your body. Doing squats and sit-ups whenever you get free time not only cuts down water weight from the body, but also tones up your thigh and back muscles.
9. Natural Diuretic Aids
Many researches have suggested that by reducing the salt intake and eating more fruits and vegetables serves as natural diuretic aids. Natural diuretics properties found in foods are listed below:
- Juniper berries
- Green tea
- Dandelion leaf tea (also helps in detoxification and urinary tract infections)
- Cranberry juice
- Celery seed
10. Diuretic Foods
Eating foods that have high water content is an excellent substitute for increasing the elimination of excess fluid from the body. Foods that are enriched with properties for boosting kidney’s performance are listed below:
- Brussels sprouts
[Also Read:Learn How Does Drinking Water Help Lose Weight?]
Things You Should Do to Lose Water Weight Fast
If you wish to trim down only water weight from your body, and wondering how to lose water weight, it is always better to give yourself at least 2 weeks’ time.
- Do cardiac exercises or hot yoga by wearing thermal wear or a sweatshirt to trim down water weight. This will help you to sweat faster and lose water weight with every session.
- High fiber intake also absorbs water from your body faster and keeps you full for longer time, so that you will consume lesser food. which will help in shedding weight sooner.
- Foods that are rich in carbohydrate increase your water weight instantly. Hence, it is best to avoid white rice, white pasta, or white bread, refined flour and sugar-based food. Moreover, carbohydrate-rich food items get digested fast, which makes one to overeat frequently.
- The caffeinated drink is one of the main reasons for dehydration. Caffeine is known to increase your water intake and retain water in your body for longer hours. Moreover, consuming caffeinated drinks before going to bed makes you look bloated and fluffy. Thus, refrain from having coffee, aerated drinks and other caffeinated food items while you are following a strict diet to reduce water weight.
- Avoid eating processed and canned food items, which are loaded with salt. The salt is one of the main culprits of water weight gain as it contains high amounts of sodium in it. Food with more salt content makes the body retain water. Besides limiting the consumption of salt, it is also advisable to cut down your sugar intake.
- Walking is one of the easiest and the most affordable form of exercises one can indulge in. Spare 50 minutes from your daily routine and try brisk walking and see the difference in your health in terms of water weight reduction, healthy and glowing skin, and increased stamina.
- One of the answers for the question how to lose water weight fast is simply by maintaining a regular sleeping pattern as 6 to 8 hours of sound sleep helps in avoiding fluid retention in the body and aids in natural weight loss process.
- Losing more than 3% of water weight at a time may turn out to be really dangerous for your health. Try not to over workout or try extreme dieting for reducing more than 3% of your body’s weight in a day.
- Some people avoid drinking water completely when they want to reduce water weight fast. This is a myth as it leads to dehydration and urine infection. So, drink an adequate amount of water and stay hydrated as it has been proven that drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water is the cheapest alternative in eliminating the primary cause of fluid retention.
- While using diuretics for reducing water weight, keep in mind that high or regular doses can lead to bloating and may even dehydrate you.
- If you are following any medication or suffering from diabetics or cardiac diseases, then it is not recommended to cut down water weight fast as it may lead to serious complications.
- The primary cause of water weight gain is the presence of sodium that holds up in the tissues. Therefore, the ideal way to get rid of the excessive water weight gain is by decreasing the sodium intake.
- Standing for a longer period of time is even known to retain the fluid in the body. If the work involves you to stand for a longer duration then choose to take breaks in between and get some rest.
- Hormonal changes in the body are yet another main reason for water retention in the body.
- Water is probably the simplest home remedy to get rid of the excessive water weight in the body. By increasing the water consumption gradually will be of immense help in increasing the metabolic rate of your body and this again will boost the overall stamina of the body. Drinking water is the best way to lose water weight as it’s a great natural calorie-free drink and has no trace of any preservative or sodium in it.
- Foods rich in fiber content is another great way to flush out the excessive water weight from the body
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are highly rich in fiber content. Including fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet will reduce the water weight in a natural way. A healthy and balanced diet with less sodium and sugar content and high fiber content is the ideal way to keep the water weight at bay.
Water weight is a common reason for constant weight fluctuation, especially in women which is often assumed as the cause of sudden weight gain. After using the home remedies if at all the fluid retention problem prolongs for a longer period of time, then you must consult a specialist. Consult a doctor before taking any kind of medicine or OTC drugs for water weight loss.