When you think about acne, the first thing that comes to your mind is irritated skin and the pain associated with it. As a teenager, you might have given a strong fight to acne but it feels worst when you realize that your baby is suffering from acne issues. It is natural and obvious for a mother to get panic while dealing with baby acne. But do not worry as we have brought some of the best remedies for baby acne for you in this article.
Let’s read to know some of the facts about baby acne first, so that it will be easier for you to treat and cure baby acne effectively.
Is baby Acne Similar to Adult Acne?
You must be thinking now – is baby acne similar to adult acne? Or can we use the same adult acne treatment for baby acne? Is it oily skin or food habits, or lack of hygiene, which make a baby prone to acne? Actually baby acne is different from adult acne and the home remedies that we use for adult acne cannot be used for baby acne.
‘Baby Acne’ – What Exactly it Means?
In medical terms, baby acne is termed as Erythema Toxicum Neonatorum, which is a kind of rash rather than acne. It normally happens to the newborn babies after the first 3-4 weeks of their birth.
What Causes Baby Acne?
The main cause of baby acne is the hormonal stimulation of the oil glands. The hormone produced by the baby normally is not responsible for acne issues, but it happens due to the hormone which the baby has received from the mother through the placenta. It can appear anywhere on the face, but generally it appears on the forehead, nose and cheeks.
If your baby is suffering from acne, it doesn’t mean that the baby is unhealthy. In a positive way, the hormones which cause baby acne also develop the immune system for the baby. Baby acne is a very common issue in newborn babies and around 20% of the babies suffer from baby acne. It is a temporary problem and will not last for more than 2 weeks and with the help of home remedies you will be able to treat baby acne fast.
How to Treat Baby Acne
When you see rashes on your baby’s face you just want to get rid of it as quickly as possible. But be calm and choose the right remedy for your baby as the skin of the baby is way more sensitive and softer than the adult skin.
Mother and Baby Bondage
The relationship between a mother and a baby is very special. During pregnancy, the mother’s body is the only source of food and protection for the baby. As we know that the mother’s hormones are the main causes of baby acne, it is not surprising that the mother’s body has a natural remedy for it. So the mother can naturally provide treatment to the child who is suffering from acne.
Breast Milk- Drops of Relief
Breast milk is the most natural and safe home remedy for baby acne. Breast milk contains lauric acid, which has healing properties. It is a natural antimicrobial and antibacterial liquid which exfoliates the skin to cure baby acne. Brest milk not only protects your baby’s skin from acne attack but also hydrates and heals the skin.
- Get a palm full of breast milk.
- You can just place a few drops of breast milk on the acne affected area.
- You can also apply the breast milk to the entire face of your baby.
- Spread it using your figure tip or a cotton ball.
- Use a circular motion while spreading the breast milk on your baby’s face.
- Keep it for 20 minutes.
- Wipe your baby’s face with a wet and warm cloth.
- Apply it thrice a day to get rid of baby acne.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Baby Constipation]
Diet Changes for Mother
Babies normally suffer from acne issues in the first 28 days after birth. In this period, breast milk is the only source of food for them. If you are a breastfeeding mother, then whatever you eat will have an impact on your baby’s skin as well as health. A mother can help her baby to get rid of acne just by changing her own diet.
Drink Dandelion Tea
Dandelion root is a widely suggested herb to maintain the hormonal balance of the female reproductive system. Intake of dandelion tea will be beneficial for the mother as well as for the baby. Dandelion root consists of bitter principles which help the skin to push out acne causing bacteria. If the mother drinks dandelion tea, the child can get the benefit of the acne removal property of dandelion root through the breast milk.
- Get few dandelion root and red raspberry
- Lemongrass – 3 inches
- Nettles – ½ cup
- Water-1 bowl
- Take 1 bowl full of water.
- Take 3 inches of lemongrass, few dandelion roots, half cup of nettles and red raspberry.
- Boil the water and put the ingredients into it.
- Keep the stuff boiling along with water for 15-20 minutes.
- Keep it stirring while making the tea.
- Add honey or sugar as per your taste.
- Filter the tea.
- Drink this tea thrice a day to treat baby acne
- Once prepared you can store the tea in the fridge for 2 days.
Few Tips for Nursing Mothers Regarding Dietary Changes
- Don’t eat citrus fruits as it may increase baby acne.
- Don’t eat fatty food and oily food as it may create excessive oil secretion in the baby’s skin.
- Drink a lot of water.
When we think about natural organic antiseptic, coconut oil is the first thing that strikes our mind. Coconut oil is as good as breast milk to treat baby acne. It performs different roles, such as moisturizing the baby skin as well as protecting it from the bacterial attack. It easily gets absorbed into the skin of the baby. Loaded with Vitamin E, it enriches the skin of the baby. Both breast milk and coconut oil contain lauric acid, which provides it the ability to fight baby acne.
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Cotton balls
- Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- You can directly apply it to your baby’s face or can use little lukewarm coconut oil.
- Soak the cotton balls in coconut oil for 1 minute.
- Gently rub the cotton balls on the acne affected area. Keep it for 20 minutes
- The coconut oil will get absorbed by the baby skin.
- If there is any excessive oil on your baby’s face, then you can wipe it using a wet cloth.
[Also Read:Baby Yeast Infection Remedies]
Honey and Lemon Juice
Honey and lemon have a huge number of medicinal benefits. Lemon, when used separately, has a different impact on individual health whereas it shows measurable effects when used with honey. For the baby’s skin, ensure to use only natural and mild products. Honey is a natural product and so as lemon.
This combination offers the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory impact on the skin. Once applied to the baby skin, honey and lemon juice penetrate deep into the baby skin. This action helps to absorb and push out the impurities which are responsible for baby acne. Lemon exfoliates the skin whereas honey soothes it. There are different types of honey available in the market. As the baby skin is delicate, prefer using manuka honey to treat baby acne.
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Manuka honey or raw honey – 1tbsp
- Take out the juice of ½ lemon and get 1 tbsp of honey.
- Mix both the ingredients.
- Soak a cotton ball in the liquid for 2-3 minutes.
- Apply the liquid on your baby’s face gently and spread it well.
- Keep it for more than ½ hour.
- Remove it using a warm wet cloth.
- Repeat this process twice a day to get better results.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Baby Eczema]
Corn is a food grain, which generally is looked at as a vegetable. It has several combinations of vitamins, including Vitamin B5, Vitamin B1, and Vitamin C. It also includes niacin, thiamine and lycopene which make it very effective for the baby’s skin. It acts as an antioxidant and helps to maintain a smooth skin. Cornstarch has a property, which dries out the skin, thus it is useful to remove the excessive oil from the baby’s face. It also provides necessary minerals and vitamins to the baby’s skin to improve the resistance power against acne.
- Cornstarch – 2 tsp
- Water – few drops
- Take 2 tsp of cornstarch.
- Mix it with water to make a thick paste.
- Apply it with a Q-tip or with your finger tips on the baby’s face.
- Apply only to the acne affected area as the mask will dry out your baby’s face.
- Leave it for 1 hour.
- Rinse your baby’s face with lukewarm water.
- Apply a moisturizer if the baby’s skin feels very dry.
- Repeat it 2 times a day to get rid of baby acne.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a bacteria killer and is oil absorbent. It kills the bacteria quickly and makes the skin clean. Apple cider vinegar solution is very thin and concentrated, hence should not be used directly on the baby skin. Vinegar is always used in a diluted form for baby acne treatment. You can check the reaction of a solution on your baby’s skin by applying it on the hand before using it for acne treatment.
- Apple cider vinegar – 1-2 tsp
- Distilled water – ½ cup
- Take 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it with distilled water in the ratio of 1:10.
- Dilute and mix it well.
- Soak some cotton balls in the solution for 5 minutes.
- Apply gently to the acne-affected areas of your baby.
- Keep it there on the skin for 20 minutes.
- Clean your baby’s face with a warm and wet cloth.
- Use it twice a day for 4-5 days to cure baby acne.
Along with all the remedies, you should maintain a proper hygiene routine for your baby. Baby’s skin is very sensitive and prone to infections. Thus, it is essential to keep the skin of your baby as clean as possible.
- Remember to keep the apparel, pillowcases, bedding of the baby clean.
- Change the bed sheet and pillowcases every other day. Baby’s toys should also be regularly rinsed using a disinfectant.
- You, your family members or friends should also clean hands before touching your baby’s face.
- Your apparel should also be clean as you are going to carry the baby all the time.
- Use antibacterial detergent for your laundry.
- Keep your baby’s face hydrated. Don’t make it dry by cleaning it too many times. If it feels dry then use a good moisturizer.
Now, do you think that baby acne is easy to treat? Yes, you can easily treat the baby acne by trying the home remedies that are discussed in this article. Now just try out the remedies and share your experiences with us.