Utmost care should be taken during pregnancy as it is a very crucial time in every woman’s life. During this period, each and every small health ailment of the mother has to be treated immediately to avoid its impact on the child’s health. Fever is quite common during pregnancy and can be easily cured at home.
So, if you are afraid of taking medicines during pregnancy and want to cure it at home then here are some home remedies for fever during pregnancy. Let us first understand the causes and symptoms of fever during pregnancy followed by how to treat it with home remedies.
Causes and Symptoms of Fever during Pregnancy
The fever during pregnancy is a common viral infection, which results in the rise in the body the temperature. The main causes of fever during pregnancy are as follows:
- Common Cold– It has an impact on the upper respiratory tract and results in a sore throat, mucus formation as well as a runny nose. The common cold leads to fever when to remain untreated.
- Gastrointestinal Virus– The fever caused due to the bacteria such as Ureaplasma species leads to issues in the digestive system, resulting in a fever during pregnancy.
- Chorioamnionitis– It occurs due to polymicrobial bacterial infection. It results in the inflammation of the chorion and the membranes of the placenta.
- Listeria– This is a common infection among pregnant women. The immune system gets suppressed during pregnancy, which makes your body prone to diseases initiated due to the consumption of contaminated food and water.
- Influenza– It is a kind of flu, which generally occurs due to a weak immune system. It occurs due to viral infections that attack your body.
- Urinary Tract Infection– Around 10% of pregnant women suffers from urinary tract infection that leads to fever. This disease affects the urethra, bladder as well as the kidneys. Thus, it is important to treat it immediately.
Symptoms of Fever during Pregnancy
Fever during pregnancy is easy to recognize and shows following symptoms:
- Body temperature remains more than 38.3°C
- Shivering feeling
- Body ache
- Diarrhea and vomiting
So, if you are pregnant and are getting any of the symptoms that are mentioned above, then you are suffering from a fever that needs to be treated immediately.
In the below section, we have brought for you some home remedies that will help you to cure the fever during pregnancy instantly at home.
Home Remedies to Cure Fever during Pregnancy
The intake of medicines during pregnancy is generally avoided due to the fear of side effects. The fever during pregnancy has to be treated as soon as possible to avoid its impact on the baby in the womb.
The home remedies are the best options to treat the fever during the pregnancy as these remedies have no side effects. The ingredients from your kitchen can help you to get rid of fever instantly. Here are some home remedies that help you to fight fever during pregnancy.
Vinegar is widely used to cure the fever as it has a property to pull out heat from the skin. This action helps to reduce the body temperature quickly. In addition to that, vinegar helps to maintain the right pH of the skin. So if you are suffering from a fever due to urinary tract infection, then take the vinegar bath to cure the fever during pregnancy.
- Vinegar- ½ cup
- Warm water- 1 full bathtub
- Take a ½ cup of vinegar and add it to the warm bath water.
- Stir well using your hand and leave it for 2 minutes.
- Take a good bath in this water for 10 minutes.
- Pat your skin dry. Use this remedy once every day to get rid of fever during pregnancy.
[Also Read:How To Get Rid of Pregnancy Stretch Marks]
2. Holy Basil
The basil leaves consist of antibacterial and antibiotic properties, which instantly resolve the fever issue. The phytonutrient content in the holy basil leaves promotes the healing process and helps in quick recovery from fever.
- Basil leaves- 5 to 6
- Water- 1 cup
- Take 5-6 holy basil leaves and add 1 cup water to it.
- Heat it on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Filter out the leaves from the water.
- Drink the water 3-4 times in a day to get quick relief from fever during pregnancy.
An artichoke acts as a healing agent and provides relief from fatigue due to fever. It also promotes urination that helps to flush out the toxin from the body and reduce the fever during pregnancy.
- Artichokes- 2 to 3 leaves
- Water- 2 cups
- Take 2-3 artichokes leaves and boil it in 2 cups of water.
- Boil it for 10 minutes until the artichokes become soft.
- Let it cool down.
- Eat only the bottom part of the artichokes leaves.
- Repeat the remedy once in a day to reduce the fever during pregnancy.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Constipation During Pregnancy]
It consists of natural antiviral and antibiotic properties, which kill the bacteria responsible for fever. Onion also has a sulfur content that promotes the removal of toxins from the body and reduces the body temperature.
- Onion- 1
- Warm cloth- 2
- Take 1 onion and cut it into 2-3 medium size slices.
- Place the onion slices on the bottom of both of your feet.
- Wrap the feet along with the onion using a warm cloth.
- Keep it overnight or more than 2-3 hours.
- Use this remedy once every day to get rid of fever during pregnancy.
5. Mustard Seeds
The mustard seeds consist of anti-fungal properties, which protect the body from viral infections. It keeps the skin hydrated, thus reduces the body temperature. It also contains B-complex vitamins and rich in antioxidants that provide relief from fever.
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Take 1 tsp of mustard seed in a small container.
- Add 1 cup of water to it.
- Heat it using a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the seeds from the water using a filter.
- Now, drink the water. This remedy provides quick relief from fever during pregnancy when used twice a day.
Potato treats weakness and fatigue caused due to fever during pregnancy. It is also very helpful to reduce the body temperature and treat the viral infection.
- Potato- 1
- Vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Washcloth- 1
- Take 1 potato, peel it and cut into 2-3 thick slices.
- Soak the potato slices in 2 tbsp of vinegar for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, keep the potato slices on your forehead and cover it with a clean washcloth.
- Leave if for 10-15 minutes. This remedy will immediately bring down the body temperature and provide you relief from fever during pregnancy.
Lemon is considered as the best natural detoxification agent, which flushes out the toxins from the body and makes it free from fever. It is also a germicide and kills germs of fever to provide a quick relief from it.
- Lemon- 1
- Cotton sock- 2
- Wool sock – 2
- Water- 1 cup
- Take 1 lemon and cut it into 2 pieces.
- Place the lemon pieces on the bottom of your feet.
- Now, take the cotton sock and soak it in the water for 1 minute.
- Squeeze the excess water from the sock and wear the wet sock to cover the lemon on your feet.
- Upon the wet sock, wear a wool sock and keep it for 20 minutes.
- Use this remedy twice a day to relieve the fever during pregnancy.
8. Olive Oil with Garlic
Garlic consists of a compound a known as allicin, which leads to natural sweating and removes the toxin from the body. It also has anti-bacterial properties, which kills the bacteria of fever to treat the disease. Olive oil in this remedy acts as a soothing agent and provides relief from body ache as well as skin irritation due to high body temperature.
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Garlic cloves- 2
- Plastic cover- 2
- Take 2 garlic cloves and crush them using a masher.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to it.
- Mix it well to create a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the bottom of your feet and cover it using the plastic cover.
- Keep it for more than 1 hour, then remove it and wash your feet with cold water.
- Use this remedy twice a day to reduce the fever during pregnancy.
Raisins are the best solution to treat fever during the pregnancy. It provides nutrients to get rid of weakness caused due to fever. It also has germicidal and antibiotic properties, which kills the germs of fever instantly.
- Raisins- 25
- Water- 1 cup
- Lemon- 1/2
- Take 25 raisins in a small bowl and add 1 cup of water to it.
- Soak the raisins for 1-2 hours.
- Now, mash the raisins in the water and strain it.
- Add juice of ½ lemon to the raisin water and mix it well.
- Drink the juice twice a day to get rid of fever during pregnancy.
[Also Read:Home Remedies For Depression During Pregnancy]
10. Spicy Tea
If you are suffering from fever during pregnancy due to cold, then ginger in this remedy, will provide you relief from fever, cold as well as a sore throat. The basil leaves will kill the germs of fever and reduce the body temperature. The black pepper will also provide a quick relief from cold and flu.
- Ginger powder- 1 tsp
- Holy basil leaves- 5-6
- Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Take 1 cup of water in a small container.
- Add 5-6 leaves of holy basil along with 1 tsp each of ginger powder and black pepper.
- Heat the mixture for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Allow the solution to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the basil leaves from the solution and drink it.
- Use this remedy once in a day to get relief from fever during pregnancy.
11. Green Tea
The green tea consists of anti-oxidant and antibiotic properties, which makes it suitable for fever treatment. It is a tasty drink with many health benefits. It will provide a quick relief from fever during pregnancy.
- Green tea powder- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Take 1 cup of water in a small container.
- Add 1 tsp of green tea powder and 1 tsp of sugar to it.
- Boil it for 5 minutes and then allow it to cool down for 2 minutes.
- Drink the tea twice a day to treat the fever during pregnancy at home.
12. Cold Compress
The burning body temperature can make you feel uncomfortable during pregnancy. In the treatment of fever, it is important to reduce the body temperature quickly. The cold compress will reduce the body temperature and provide relief from the fever.
- Cold water- 1 bowl
- Clean cloth- 1
- Take 1 bowl full of cold water. Soak 1 clean cloth in it for 2 minutes.
- Remove the excessive water from the cloth and place it on your forehead.
- Keep it for 2 minutes until the cloth absorbs your body heat.
- Remove the cloth from your forehead and soak it again in the cold water.
- Repeat the process for 5- 10 times to reduce the body temperature.
- Use this remedy twice a day to keep the body temperature at a normal level.
Tips to Get Rid of Fever during Pregnancy
The tips given below will help you to fight the fever during pregnancy. It is important to follow the tips to get a relief from fever in no time.
- If you are suffering from a fever due to the common cold during pregnancy, then blow your nose frequently to avoid nasal congestion. As the mucus formed in the body increases the chances of fever, it is always better to remove the mucus from your body.
- Do gargling to kill the bacteria of the common cold, which reach your throat area. This action will kill the bacteria and reduce the signs of fever.
- Drink a lot of water and warm drinks to treat the fever during pregnancy.
- If you have a symptom of diarrhea along with fever, then eat a banana with rice to get rid of both the issues. You can also start consuming blueberries as it heals the fever and reduces diarrhea.
- You should avoid the intake of oily food as well as fast food during fever. Do not eat curd and cucumber as it can increase the chances of the common cold that leads to fever.
- Take a shower with warm water when your body temperature becomes low. Avoid taking a bath when the body temperature is high. A sponge bath is also preferable when you are suffering from fever during pregnancy. You should change your clothes every day to keep your body away from viruses.
- Although your body temperature is high, still try to keep your body warm as sweating will help you to take out the toxin from your body.
- Use cotton dresses to feel comfortable.
- Take a lot of rest as fever always result in weakness that makes the body prone to more illness. Thus, a proper rest and balanced diet are must to recover fast from the fever during pregnancy.
So, these are some tips and home remedies that will provide a relief from fever as well as help you to recover from the disease fast. Follow the home remedies and treat the fever during pregnancy at home. The remedies are easy to use, hence you don’t have to take much effort to treat your disease. Additionally, as you will use the natural ingredients to treat fever during the pregnancy, you will gain some nourishment from the ingredients. Also, you don’t have to worry about the side effects.
Don’t wait then, just use the remedies and get rid of fever during pregnancy instantly at home. Feel free to share your experiences with us. Hope this will be helpful for you. Stay healthy and have a happy pregnancy!