The unhygienic conditions can lead to skin infections in the babies, like eczema, psoriasis and many more. There is a common skin issue, which almost every babyface due to the wet condition of the bottom. Yes, you guessed it right! It is diaper rash, which is very common among the infants as well as children below 2 years of age.
How does Olive Oil work for Diaper Rash?
Olive oil works well for diaper rashes. Loaded with inflammatory properties, its use reduces the itching sensation and skin irritation that happen due to diaper rashes. It also has anti-microbial properties, which protect the baby’s skin from bacteria and skin infection. It penetrates deep into the baby’s skin and nourishes it. Most importantly, olive oil creates a barrier between the baby’s skin and the urine or feces, which prevents the chances of diaper rash. Here are different methods of using olive oil for diaper rash.
Olive Oil for Diaper Rash
Olive oil works well as compared to the cosmetic creams available in the market for diaper rashes. It treats the diaper rash and promotes the healing process of the cracked skin of the baby. The direct application of the olive oil is also beneficial for your baby’s skin. Olive oil can be used with different ingredients like lavender oil, beeswax, zinc powder and many more to treat diaper rashes. The process of using olive oil for diaper rashes along with the ingredients is given below. Let us look in detail how you can use olive oil to get rid of diaper rashes.
Method 1: Olive Oil with Water
Olive oil with water is a simple remedy, which provides relief from skin inflammation and redness. The olive oil acts as a protective layer and keeps the baby’s skin hydrated.
- Olive oil- 3 tsp
- Water- 2 tsp
- Cotton ball- 2
- Take 3 tsp of olive oil and 2 tsp of water in a small bowl.
- Mix it well to create a milky white solution.
- Apply the solution on your baby’s affected area using a cotton ball.
- Leave it for 10 minutes to get dry.
- Now, you can put on a new diaper to your baby.
- Use this remedy every time you change diaper of your baby to prevent the diaper rash
Method 2: Massage Therapy Using Olive Oil
The massage therapy of olive oil promotes the healing of the sore and cracked skin. It also provides the necessary nourishment to the baby’s body. This is one of the most recommended ways to use olive oil for diaper rash.
- Warm water- 1 full baby bathtub
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Take 2 tbsp of olive oil in your palm.
- Rub the oil on both of your palms until it becomes little warm.
- Now, gently massage the affected area of your baby with the olive oil for 2 minutes.
- After the massage, provide a bath to your baby with warm water in the bathtub.
- Repeat the remedy twice a day to reduce skin irritation and diaper rash.
[Also Read:Coconut Oil for Diaper Rash]
Method 3: Olive Oil with Zinc Oxide Paste
You can apply the zinc oxide paste on the diaper rashes of your baby. In this remedy, zinc oxide repels the excessive moisture from the baby’s skin, thus prevents the diaper rash. Olive oil acts as a soothing agent and makes your baby’s skin soft.
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Zinc oxide powder- 1 tsp
- Take 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of zinc powder in a small bowl.
- Mix it well to make a uniform and smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the rashes.
- Leave it for some time to get absorbed by the skin. Use this paste thrice a day to heal the diaper rash wounds.
- This remedy provides instant relief to your baby from the skin irritation and inflammation.
Method 4: Olive Oil Balm
The homemade olive oil balm is very effective to cure the diaper rash. The ingredients like chamomile and calendula flower reduce the skin irritation. The beeswax acts as a binding agent, whereas olive oil protects the skin from yeast and infection. The balm is easy to prepare at home and works well for diaper rashes with no side effects.
- Dried flowers of chamomile- ¼ ounce
- Dried flowers of calendula- ¼ ounce
- Dried flowers of lavender- ¼ ounce
- Olive oil- 1 cup
- Beeswax- ½ ounce (grated)
- Lavender oil- 10 to15 drops
- Take ¼ ounce each of dried chamomile, calendula and lavender flowers in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 1 cup of olive oil to it and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Let it cool down and let the herbs get infused in the olive oil for minimum 3 hours.
- Later on, strain the herbs from the oil and add a ½ ounce of beeswax to it.
- Heat it in the microwave oven for 1 and ½ minute till the beeswax melts in the olive oil.
- Mix it well and let it cool down for 3 minutes.
- Add 10-15 drops of lavender oil to the creamy mixture and mix it well.
- The homemade diaper rash balm is ready!
- Apply the balm on the affected area twice every day to get rid of diaper rash.
[Also Read:Top 17 Home Remedies For Diaper Rashes]
Method 5: Olive Oil Diaper Cream
This diaper rash cream consists of olive oil and Redmond’s bentonite clay, which heals the wounds of diaper rash and makes the skin smooth. The lavender and olive oil keep the skin hydrated and reduce the inflammation.
- Redmond’s bentonite clay- ¼ cup
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Lavender oil- 3 to 4 drops
- Take a ¼ cup of Redmond’s bentonite clay in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and 3-4 drops of lavender oil to it.
- Mix it well to develop a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area of your baby.
- Cover it with gauze and keep it for 3-4 hours.
- Clean your baby’s bottom with warm water.
- Repeat the remedy once for 3-4 days and your baby will get quick relief from diaper
Tips to Get Quick Relief from Diaper Rash
Diaper rash is curable at home and also can be prevented by the use of small precautions. Follow the given tips to get quick relief from diaper rashes.
- Keep the affected area of your baby clean by using a mild soap.
- Do not use the commercial wipes to clean your baby’s bottom as it contains alcohol and can lead to diaper rash.
- Use lukewarm water to clean your baby’s body as both cold and very hot water can damage the sensitive skin of your baby.
- Provide a regular massage of olive oil to your baby to keep the skin smooth and soft.
So, now you can use olive oil for diaper rash. Its use will also provide your baby a quick relief from skin irritation. The olive oil will work wonders on your baby’s skin and will keep it hydrated. The regular use of olive oil for body massage will keep your baby protected from other skin infections. Olive oil for diaper rashes will definitely cure the issue. Let us know which of the home remedies of olive oil worked best for your baby’s diaper rashes.