Are you not able to sleep after a long day of work? Are you just lying on your bed by closing your eyes? In this situation, you are just trying hard to sleep but in vain. Then possibly, you are suffering from a condition where to sleep becomes almost impossible. You also thought of taking sleeping pills, but they come with many side effects. But do not worry as we have brought some of the best natural sleep remedies.
Proper sleep is important for your mental and physical health. Improper diet, no or less exercise, and less water consumption lead to sleeplessness. Sometimes due to stress or due to some disease, the person cannot sleep. This is such a condition which needs to be treated immediately or else it will lead to some serious health issues.
Causes of Sleep Disorder
There are many reasons due to which the person cannot get proper sleep and the most common causes of sleep disorder are:
- Sleep Apnea
- Restless leg syndrome
- Circadian rhythm disorder
Top 16 Home Remedies for Sleep
Instead of taking sleeping pills at night, you can follow certain home remedies that can induce good sleep. So we have brought some natural remedies that will provide you with good sleep and at the same time help you to maintain a healthy life. Here are few of the natural remedies for sleep. Let’s have a look.
Valerian is a hardy plant which is used as a sleep aid because the valerian roots offer a calming effect to the mind. Its use reduces anxiety and considered as a natural remedy for sleep.
- Take a container with 1 tbsp of valerian root.
- Add 8 oz fresh water to boil.
- Strain the root from the liquid and drink it.
Chamomile is an essential ingredient which induces sleep by offering a relaxing effect to your muscles. Chamomile acts as one the best sedative for sleep and is an herbal sleep remedy.
- Take 1/4 cup of fresh chamomile flowers and use only the flower heads. Or else you can take 2 tbsp of dry flowers.
- Take a container and add 4 cups of water to it.
- Add the flowers and allow it to boil it for 5 to 6 minutes. Serve it hot.
- You can squeeze the juice of a fresh lemon or you can add honey or milk for taste.
Lemon balm is an herbal remedy which is followed since years for getting good sleep.
- Take 2 tbsp of fresh or dried balm and place in a container.
- Add 2 tbsp of dried chamomile to it.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey to taste.
- Add enough water to it and boil it for 5 minutes. Strain it and drink it 30-40minutes before you go to sleep.
Saint John’s Wort
Saint John’s wort is considered as an essential home remedy for sleep.
- Take 2 tbsp of dried Saint John’s wort in a container.
- Add 8 ounces of freshly boiled water.
- Add honey or lemon to taste and steep for 5-10 minutes. Strain and drink it once daily to get good sleep
Drink a Glass of Milk for Good Sleep
Milk contains amino acid tryptophan which will help you get good sleep. Always prefer milk just 10-15minutes before you go to bed. Prefer to drink warm milk.
Banana has a tryptophan, an amino acid which is used to make serotonin. It is a chemical which makes you sleep faster. So you can always consume bananas after your dinner to get quality sleep.
Before going to sleep, apply a little amount of lavender oil to your head and scalp. The aroma of lavender oil will make you get sleep easily.
Dark Tart Cherry Juice
Tryptophan is considered as one of the essential amino acids which convert the serotonin to melatonin. The dark tart cherry juice contains tryptophan. So consume half a cup of dark tart cherry juice every day.
Exposure to Sun Rays
Light exposure to sun rays increases the melatonin production in the body and helps you to sleep fast. Always remember to take an outdoor walk in moderate sunlight in the morning. A30 minutes walk in the morning will help to get quality sleep at night. Prefer a light therapy every day as it is best natural remedy for sleep.
One of the main remedies for natural sleep is acupuncture. It is considered as a traditional and one the oldest healing practices in the world. This will open the meridians and balance the energy of life. In acupuncture, the thin needles are inserted into certain points of the body which opens up the blocked tissues of your brain and relax you and moves you to sleep.
Allot a Time Schedule
Always consume your food in a scheduled time instead of extending your lunch and break hours. Good sleep always requires proper diet in proper timing. You also need to drink a good amount of water.
Allot a time for yoga as it is another remedy to get good sleep. Along with yoga, also involve in regular exercises in the morning or at your free hours which will help you get good sleep. Take a warm water bath as warm water bath reduces your blood pressure levels and helps you sleep fast and easily.
Indulge yourself in aromatherapy as the sweet and pleasant fragrance will make you sleep faster.
Melatonin which is produced by serotonin is a natural occurring hormone that regulates sleep and improves the wake-up cycle in the brain. Consumption of melatonin-rich foods, such as pineapple, bananas, oranges, oats, sweet corn, rice, tomatoes, barley etc, will improve your sleep.
Medication is a healthy life practice which makes you focus on one object at a time. It is considered as one of the most effective remedies for sleep. It creates a pleasant awareness and helps you to relax both your body and mind. Medication offers a calming effect to your mind which in turn induces natural sleep.
Visualization and Mindfulness
Visualizing some pleasant things will help you relaxing your senses. Make your visualization more vivid so that it improves your senses and you can get sleep easily. Another essential treatment that helps to get sleep easily is mindfulness. Focus your mind only on the present things around you.
Like home remedies, homeopathy also helps you to get good night’s sleep without any side effects. It is considered as one of the ancient practices for good sleep. Homeopathy treatment surely gives a permanent solution to the sleep disorder.
Tips for Good Sleep
- Make yourself completely away from tension and stress before going to bed. Avoid the consumption of caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine which will reduce your sleep.
- The caffeine in chocolate and cold medicines is the other factor which will reduce your sleep.
- Maintain your sugar level. If your blood sugar level falls down, it will also disturb your sleep.
- Eat foods rich in carbohydrate and Vitamin B6 which is found more in wheat grain, sunflower seeds and bananas which enhance your body.
- Consume foods rich in magnesium to get good sleep. The deficiency of magnesium results in lack of sleep, constipation, muscle tremors or cramps, irritability, anxiety, and pain.
You must always make a practice of good exercise, meditation or yoga which will make you mentally and physically fit. Try out with these home remedies which will help you get sleep.
Did you try any of the natural remedies for sleep? Would you like to know more about natural sleep remedies? Mail us; we are always here to help you.