Upper back pain is a spinal disorder that causes acute pain in the area at your back below the neck. It is not a common ailment like lower back pain, but when it occurs it brings acute pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulder. Upper back pain is found both in men and women after the age of 15. Let’s read more about causes, symptoms and remedies for upper back pain.
Causes of Upper Back Pain
- Muscular irritation or strain
- Joint dysfunction
- Bad posture
- Sudden injury or trauma
- Muscular injury or joint disruption
- Diseases like rheumatism
- Slipped disc
Symptoms of Upper Back Pain
- Pain below the neck.
- Difficulty to move your neck
- Difficulty to move shoulder
Remedies for Upper Back Pain
Upper back pain causes a lot of discomforts. There are many home remedies as well as exercises and yoga postures to reduce the pain in the upper back area.
1. Apply Ice
If you experience a sudden pain in the upper back area, then immediately apply ice on the affected area. This is one of the simplest home remedies to cure upper back pain.
Things You Need:
- Ice cubes-5 to 6
- Plastic bag-1
- Take 5-6 ice cubes and place it in a plastic bag.
- Wrap the bag immediately with a towel.
- Place the ice cubes wrapped in the towel to the pain affected area of your upper back for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process every 2-3 hours to get rid of the upper back pain.
Applying heat will help you to relax the back muscles and reduce stiffness. The heat will provide relief to your upper back muscles and reduce swelling in the upper back.
2. Apply Heat
Things You Need:
- Water bottle-1
- Water-2 glasses
- Take 2 glasses of water and heat it.
- Fill the bottle with this hot water.
- Rub the bottle with hot water to the affected areas of the upper back.
- Repeat this process in every 2-3 hours to get relief from upper back pain.
Food to Reduce Upper Back Pain
Apart from home remedies, you will get rid of the upper back pain by consuming certain foods loaded with specific vitamins.
- Increase the intake of foods rich in Vitamin D and calcium, which will lessen the pain in the upper back muscle.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in fiber, which will help you to combat constipation, one of the main causes of upper back pain. Consuming fiber-rich foods will flush out the toxins from your body easily, thus will keep you healthy.
Exercises for Upper Back Pain
1. Shoulder Blade Squeeze
Shoulder blade exercise will ease the pain in your upper back muscles and give you great relief.
- Stand or you can take a chair and sit as per your convince.
- Stretch your hands inwards and outwards frequently.
- Repeat this process for an hour to get relief from the pain in the upper back
2. Rotation Shifting
Rotation shifting will give you a mild relief from upper back pain.
- First, sit on a comfortable chair with a straight posture.
- Place your two hands on the chest.
- Rotate your body to both the corner sides.
- Repeat this process 10 times to both the sides.
- Doing this exercise will reduce pain in the upper back area.
3. Flexion in Sitting
Flexion in sitting exercise reduces the inflammation in the upper back area. This exercise also increases the blood circulation to the upper back area, thus decreases the pain.
- Sit on a comfortable chair.
- Hold your hands at the back of your head.
- Move inwards with your elbows towards the thighs.
- Repeat this process 10 times a day to get rid of the upper back pain.
4. Extension in Sitting
Extension in sitting will give relief to the pain in the muscles of the upper back area.
- Take a chair and sit on it with your body straight.
- Hold both your hands behind your neck.
- Gently arch yourself backward.
- Look towards the ceiling.
- Repeat this process 10 times to get rid of the upper back pain.
5. Side Bend in Sitting
This exercise will increase the muscle movements and regularize the irregular muscular movements and reduce pain in the upper back area.
- First, sit on a chair with a straight body posture.
- Place both your hands on the head.
- Gently bend your body to one side by moving your elbow towards your hip.
- Make sure that you don’t lean forward.
- Repeat this process every day for 10 times for better results.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for Lower Left Back Pain]
6. Thoracic Stretch
Thoracic stretch is the exercise, which eases the pain in the upper back area.
- Sit on the floor with your legs stretched straight.
- Hold the middle portion of your thighs with your hands.
- Now curl your head towards your belly.
- Repeat this process thrice a day to get relief from the upper back pain.
7. Pectoralis Stretch
Pectoralis stretch, which you can perform at the doorway of your home, will give quick relief to the pain in the upper back.
- Stand in the open doorway of your house.
- Place both your hands on the top of the door frame.
- You must lean forward slowly and hold your hands for 15-30 seconds.
- Repeat this process thrice a day to ease the upper muscle pain.
8. Arms Slide on Wall
Arms slide wall is an exercise, which you can perform with your elbow and wrist to reduce pain in the upper back.
- You can sit or stand yourself against a wall.
- Keep your wrists and elbow towards the wall.
- Now slowly move your arm upwards as high as high as you can.
- Repeat this exercise twice a day to get relief from the upper back pain.
9. Thoracic Extension
Thoracic extension relaxes your back muscles, which eases the pain and reduce the inflammation in the upper back area.
- Take a chair and sit on it.
- Place your hands beside your neck.
- Gently move backward and look up to the ceiling.
- Repeat this process 10 times for best results.
10. Shoulder Roll
Shoulder roll will increase the blood circulation in the upper back area of your body and reduce the pain.
- Move or roll your shoulders forward.
- Make large circles and then reduce to smaller circles.
- Repeat the same process in the reverse direction to get rid of the pain in the upper back area.
[Also Read:Remedies for Middle Back Pain]
11. Arms Reach
Arms reach will reduce your pain and inflammation caused due to the back pain by just relaxing on the floor.
- First, relax on the floor.
- Place your neck, hand, and knees parallel to the floor.
- Make sure that you don’t raise your head.
- Hold your breath for 5 seconds and then inhale the air, breath freely.
- Repeat this process twice a day for best results.
Yoga to Reduce Upper Back Pain
The Clock Position
The clock positions will quickly relieve the pain and relax your muscles, hence considered as the best treatment for upper back pain.
- Stand straight along the wall.
- Place your right hand straight to 12 o clock direction.
- Then move to 1 and then 2 to 3 O’ clock.
- Repeat the same with the left hand and then take a deep breath.
- It will help to reduce upper back pain.
Arms Overhead Position with Strap
Arms overhead are performed using a stretchable belt, which increases the muscle movements in the back and reduces the pain in the upper back area.
- Stand straight.
- Use a belt and stretch your arms overhead keeping them straight.
- Maintain a proper distance between both your hands.
- Keep your face down facing your leg.
- Hold the same positions for at least 6 deep breaths.
- Repeat this process twice a day to get rid of upper back pain.
Downward at the Wall
Downward at the wall yoga position will ease the pressure on your back muscles and relieve the pain.
- Take a chair and stretch your hands towards the table.
- Move your feet in the backward direction.
- Bend towards the table by keeping your knees slightly bent.
- Hold for six deep breaths and then continue the process.
- Repeat this process every day to relieve upper back pain.
Tips to Get Rid of Upper Back Pain
You can prevent back pain by just following our tips given below.
- Once you feel that you have a pain in the upper back area, then quickly stop the work you are doing and take complete rest.
- Once affected by the upper back pain, you must relax your upper back area by sleeping.
- Adjust your sleeping positions by keeping a pillow under your knees.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach as it causes neck and back pain.
- Always maintain a good posture while you are sitting, sleeping and standing as it will prevent upper back pain.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects as the pressure will be directly moved towards your upper back and cause pain.
- A healthy diet, proper exercises, aerobics, yoga and a good massage can reduce upper back pain.
- Reduce stress and anxiety which are the other causes of upper back pain.
- Always stay hydrated by drinking 10-12 glasses of water per day.
- Being overweight is one of the causes of upper back pain. Hence, make sure that you have a healthy diet with good exercise, which will help you to lose weight.
Using these home remedies with exercises and yoga, you can quickly get relief from upper back pain. Do you know any other remedies for upper back pain? If yes, then share it with us.