There is a saying that with wisdom tooth comes wisdom. Well, I am not sure whether really wisdom comes or not, but wisdom tooth comes along with intense and unbearable pain.
What is Wisdom Tooth?
Wisdom tooth usually comes between the age of 16 and 25, and for some people it comes after 30. People who have a big mouth are lucky enough in this matter as they don’t get pain when the wisdom tooth grows. But for many people, who do not have sufficient space in their mouth for an extra tooth, experience acute pain when wisdom tooth comes. The wisdom tooth pushes the other teeth and gets stuck against them and grows in a different angle, which can be very painful. This tooth is known as the impacted wisdom tooth.
Symptoms of Impacted Wisdom Tooth
The impacted wisdom tooth becomes swollen, sensitive and painful. Sometimes this tooth gives room for bacteria to grow inside the gum and cause infection. The wisdom tooth infection then creates throbbing pain and other tooth related problems. If the impacted tooth gets damaged, then it shows the following symptoms:
- Swelling and pain in the jaw
- Abscess wisdom tooth (the painful infection that occurs at the root of a tooth or between the gum and a tooth)
- Bad breath and a different taste in the mouth
- Bleeding or swollen gums
If your wisdom tooth is creating pain and is getting infected, then visit your dentist to get the advice whether you need to extract the wisdom tooth. Some people, even after the wisdom tooth extraction, get pains for few days. This can be due to some complications during the surgery, which is known as dry socket.
Home Remedies for Wisdom Tooth Pain
Whatever is the reason for your tooth pain, you can still rely on home remedies to get relief from your wisdom tooth pain as popping pills frequently for your pain is not a good option. Going a natural way is always safe, reliable and effective.
1. Cold Treatment
This treatment relieves your toothache with gentle cold ways!
Process-1: Ice Pack
Using an ice pack on the affected area is very simple, yet an effective remedy for toothache. Ice numbs the swollen area and provides relief from the pain and soreness of the wisdom tooth.
- Take few ice cubes and cover those in a clean cloth or polythene cover.
- Now, place this cloth or polythene cover on your wisdom tooth and keep biting it for few minutes to make the aea numb.
- Tooth extraction causes swelling gums, so keep cold ice packs on your cheeks for 5-10 minutes to reduce swelling and the related pain.
- Do this in every 1 hour to get a big relief from uneasiness and tooth pain.
[Also Read:How to Get Whiter Teeth]
Process-2: Frozen Fruits and Vegetables
Frozen fruits and vegetables like apples, carrots, papayas, bananas, etc, are wonderful for chewing and decreasing the pain and swelling related to wisdom tooth.
- Take some fruits or vegetables and freeze these.
- Now, bite the frozen fruits or vegetables. Try to chew them to minimize the pain.
- It also helps to decrease the itchiness of the gums.
- This process can be repeated several times in a day to get relief from wisdom tooth pain.
Process-3: Ice Creams
- Eat a cup of ice cream of your choice.
- While eating place some ice cream on your aching tooth to find
- Eating ice cream after tooth surgery also helps in reducing pain, but don’t use any ice cream with nuts, as it may get stuck on your tooth and cause more pain.
- Eating ice cream while having pain and swelling, soothes your aching tooth.
Note: If your teeth are sensitive to extreme cold, then don’t use any of these remedies.
Clove oil has been used for centuries to keep tooth pain under control. Apart from pain relieving properties, it also has some antibacterial properties, which kills the bacteria inside your mouth, thus helps in treating and preventing tooth infection.
Chewing some whole cloves also helps in relieving the pain as cloves start to release juice, which helps in reducing pain.
Process-1: Clove Oil and Olive Oil
- Take a small cotton swab and dip it in clove oil.
- Apply this oil to your impacted wisdom tooth and gums or on the affected areas.
- If you find clove oil to be very strong, then you can dilute it with some olive oil.
- Olive oil also helps to control pain and eases inflammation.
- Do this 2-3 times in a day to get rid of the tooth pain.
Process-2: Clove Oil and Garlic
- Take 1 clove of garlic and crush it.
- Mix few drops of clove oil in this crushed garlic.
- Add a pinch of rock salt to it and mix well to make a paste.
- Now apply a thick coating of this paste to your swollen gums and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times a day to reduce swelling of the gums.
- Garlic is an anti-inflammatory in nature, which helps to remove bacteria from your mouth that cause infections.
Process-3: Cloves and Coconut Oil
- Take 1 tsp of coconut oil and heat in a pan.
- Fry 3-4 cloves in it and allow it to cool naturally.
- Then grind these cloves to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on your wisdom tooth and the other affected areas.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse your mouth.
- You can follow this remedy 2 times a day to offer relief to your swollen wisdom tooth.
[Also Read:Home Remedies for White Spots on Teeth]
3. Vinegar and Bayberry Bark
Vinegar and Bayberry bark together help in giving relief from the pain, soreness and tingling sensation, which you experience when your wisdom tooth grows.
- Take ½ tsp of vinegar and add 2 tsp of bayberry powder to it.
- Mix the ingredients well and apply this paste on your wisdom tooth and the swollen gums.
- Use this remedy 1-2 times a day to get rid of wisdom tooth pain.
4. Natural Mouthwash
These 2 natural mouthwashes will help in reducing tooth infection and healing swollen gums.
Process-1: Salt Water
- Add ½ tsp of regular salt to 1 cup of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth regularly with this salt water.
- This will help to eradicate the bacteria that cause infection.
- Also, if you want to reduce pain and swelling, then make a salt paste and put it over your sore gums.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day and it will treat half of your tooth problems.
Wheatgrass contains chlorophyll, which is a powerful antibacterial property that stops the growth of bacteria. This property also helps in keeping the teeth and gums clean and germ-free. Its use also prevents tooth decay.
- Take some wheatgrass juice.
- Gargle your mouth with it for few minutes and then throw out the juice. While gargling, wheatgrass juice pulls out all the germs and toxins from your mouth.
- Repeat this several times in a day regularly to avoid tooth problems.
- To get relief from the pain and swelling of the gums, you can also chew some wheatgrass.
5. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves contain some excellent pain relieving properties. It contains a high amount of quercetin, which is antispasmodic in nature that helps to relieve severe pain. Apart from this, guava leaves also contain disinfecting qualities, which helps to treat the problem of bad breath and bleeding gums.
- The easiest way is to chew some tender guava leaves slowly, which will release some juice that will be effective in curing many tooth problems.
- The other way is to take 5-6 guava leaves and boil it in 1 glass of water.
- Let it boil for 5-7 minutes and then allow it to become cool.
- Strain the solution when it is lukewarm and use this as a mouthwash.
- Or you can add ½ tsp of salt in this decoction and gargle your mouth.
- You can repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day for wisdom tooth pain relief.
6. Mustard Oil and Turmeric
Both mustard oil and turmeric contain antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which help in reducing pain and killing germs and bacteria, which cause tooth infection.
- Take 1 tsp of mustard oil and warm it for 10 seconds in a microwave oven.
- Add ½ tsp of turmeric powder to it and mix well.
- Apply this paste to your wisdom tooth or the other infected tooth.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and then wash your mouth.
- Use this remedy to get relief from the aching tooth.
Asafetida contains antibacterial, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties, which make it an excellent remedy for tooth pains.
Process: Asafetida and Lemon Juice
- Take ¼ tsp of asafetida powder and mix it with 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Heat this mixture slightly for 10 seconds in a microwave oven.
- Dip a cotton swab in this solution and put it on your painful wisdom tooth.
- Leave it for 10-20 minutes or till you find relief from your tooth pain.
- Remove the cotton swab and wash your mouth with normal water.
- This remedy will not just reduce pain, but will also soothe the gums as well.
- Or simply take some chunks of asafetida and place it on the aching tooth to find quick relief from the pain.
- Follow any of these remedies 2-3 times a day to get relief from tooth pain and irritation.
8. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract contains a high amount of antioxidants and some level of alcohols, which helps to numb the pain of a wisdom tooth.
- Take 3-4 drops of vanilla extract.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and place it on your affected or infected wisdom tooth.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process up to 2-3 times in a day till your problem subsides.
Note: Don’t use vanilla essence instead of extract as they both are two different things.
9. Baking Soda
Baking soda has some mild antiseptic properties, which helps in removing the plaque buildup around the gums that cause pain and sensitivity in your teeth. Moreover, it is also effective in controlling tooth infection and wisdom tooth pain.
- Take 1-2 tsp of baking soda and add few drops of water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on your gums and leave it for few minutes and then wash off.
- Or you can put some baking soda on a soft toothbrush and brush gently.
- This will help to remove tartar and plaque buildup.
- Repeat this process once daily for 2-3 days to get rid of your tooth pain.
[Also Read:How To Whiten Teeth With Baking Soda At Home]
Tips to Ease Pain and Prevent Infection of Wisdom Tooth
The tips that are mentioned below will help you in not just treating your tooth problems, but also in preventing the pain related to wisdom tooth.
- Clean your teeth and tongue 2 times a day. Flossing once a day also helps to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
- Sugar intake increases the chances of infection, so avoid foods, which contain sugar.
- Avoid chewing hard foods while you suffer from tooth pain. Eat semi-solid and liquid foods, which will be easy to chew and swallow.
- Avoid too hot or cold foods and drinks, if your tooth is sensitive to it.
- Use antibacterial mouthwash regularly to kill bacteria causing infection and reduce inflammation.
- Place a thick frozen cucumber slice on your affected tooth for 15-20 minutes, and you will find relief from wisdom tooth pain.
- Applying some tea-tree oil with the help of a cotton ball also gives relief from toothache.
- Eating chewing gums slowly will help in fighting against infection. It also stimulates saliva which keeps the bad breath away.
- Chewing raw garlic and onion also help in reducing tooth pain
- Place a cheese cube on your wisdom tooth to get quick relief from the pain.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water and juices.
- Relax and practice deep breathing exercises, which will help in controlling wisdom tooth pain.
These home remedies and tips do not provide a permanent solution for your wisdom tooth pain, however, they provide you a temporary relief to it and help in controlling your tooth problems. But, you should not delay in meeting a dentist to examine your teeth and do all the necessary treatments.